07-14 Shelby GT500 EGR Delete "How To"

TORQJNKY

I recently completed my engine build and deleted my EGR in the process to make clearance for the return fuel system using a 2.9L Whipple. The EGR is in the way of the rear fuel fitting if you use aftermarket fuel rails and fuel line, so I deleted it and have received a lot of question on how to do it. It's very simple, so here goes:

Disconnect your battery

Ensure your tune is updated to turn your EGR Off

Remove the EGR Valve and EGR Tube

dscn5464.jpg

ByJJ8ywEGkKGrHqFhMEw5Jr2E-NBMQgnfKS3_35.jpg

Cap the EGR Valve Opening on the blower and header or exhaust manifold using an EGR Delete kit. You can get these from one of the forum vendors (Lethal, VMP etc...)

egrdel.jpg

EGR Delete installed. Blower capped and header capped.

IMAG2688.jpg

DSC02033.jpg

On the EGR Valve is a sensor called the SIP (Supercharger Inlet Pressure) Sensor. You will have to remove the sensor from the EGR housing. It is clipped on and has one small electrical fitting. Be carful not to crack or break the body of the SIP sensor in the process of removing it. It senses boost/vacuum, so if you crack it, it's useless.

Remove the two vacuum hoses off the EGR shown here:

IMAG2402.jpg

Carefully remove the SIP Sensor from the EGR. Once you have the SIP Sensor removed, you will cap one of the two vacuum ports, put some shrink wrap over the small electrical plug and attach a piece of vacuum line to the other vacuum port like shown. The vacuum line will go to the supercharger.

IMAG2425.jpg

IMAG2424.jpg

Install a small NPT vacuum port on the supercharger. NOTE: On a Whipple install, the vacuum line that goes to the boost bypass actuator (gets plugged at the blower) because it's built into the Whipple boost bypass actuator. On the TVS that vacuum line has to stay in tact. You will have to reuse the three way rubber vacuum fitting off the side of the blower and plug one port or just run a T-fitting off the side of the blower. One port will go to the SIP sensor and the other to the boost bypass actuator.

IMAG2426.jpg

Now that the SIP Sensor is removed, the electrical plug covered, the appropriate vacuum port capped off on the SIP sensor and appropriate vacuum line attached, re-connect it to the wiring harness as shown:

IMAG2685.jpg

IMAG2686.jpg

I used a piece of vacuum line long enough to tuck the SIP sensor back down behind the blower and in between wiring harness and fuel lines.

IMAG2687.jpg

I have zero drivability issues, it makes plenty of room for an aftermarket fuel system and cleans up the EGR off the side of the blower. I may have a mile or two reduction in gas mileage, but my car is an E85 car anyway, so gas mileage sucked to begin with. Hope this helps. If you need any more pics or info, let me know. Thanks!

IMAG2688.jpg

IMAG2662.jpg

Last edited:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
so you lose MPG's with this? I would expect the opposite, the diesels pick up a few MPG off the delete

TORQJNKY

Does it affect with passing emissions?

I believe it does. We only get a safety inspection here in VA, no emissions check.

so you lose MPG's with this? I would expect the opposite, the diesels pick up a few MPG off the delete

I say that because a few others, Jon Lund included, have mentioned reduced gas mileage after doing the EGR delete.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I believe it does. We only get a safety inspection here in VA, no emissions check.

I almost got excited. We have emissions here. :( So is this just to make room or does it add/free-up power?

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Always thought removal of the EGR = no way to pass emissions unless you know someone you can slip a 20$ to on top of the test. I'm a bit of a no...no I am a total noob, what benefit does deleting the EGR provide? I mean all Dealerships service the EGR starting @ 140$

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Besides knowing what it stands for I never knew the function of the EGR. Are there any benefits, besides cleaning up the engine bay and making space for other parts? What are the draw backs besides decreased gas mileage. I remember asking a long time ago on my supercharged 98 Cobra but was advised to leave it on.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Great write up here. For those who are asking, The only real gains you'll get by deleting the EGR, is room for an aftermarket fuel system on certain setups, a cleaner looking engine bay, and you'll save a few pounds. Otherwise, there is no performance gain.

If your car is emission tested, it won't pass without it.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I had a Lexus V8 with a really rough "just off idle" / "light cruise" hesitation/stumble that made the car jerk and surge on steady cruise. Really hard problem to diagnose. It wasn't bad enough to throw an engine code, but the problem was an "overly sensitive EGR valve" according to the dealer. A new valve fixed the problem. Just throwing this out there for info reasons.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
when my mechanic rebuilt and re-installed my engine, he included the Fore fuel system. He removed the EGR because "it is ugly". Turned out that with the new Cobra Jet tune, I could not get my traction control or AC to work. We eventually had t reinstall the EGR. LOL. I am pretty sure he did not install the SIP when he removed the EGR adn I am now worndering if that was the problem after all. Hmmm...

bossnova3

Established Member
Quick question, as far as the valve on the back of the blower where one of the vacuum lines plug in to coming off the same port of the blower where the sip also plugs into is it left to air or do we have to plug it too. Thanks in advance

TORQJNKY

Quick question, as far as the valve on the back of the blower where one of the vacuum lines plug in to coming off the same port of the blower where the sip also plugs into is it left to air or do we have to plug it too. Thanks in advance

The line you are talking about goes to the boost bypass actuator for the TVS. On a Whipple install, that line goes away (gets plugged at the blower) because it's built into the Whipple boost bypass actuator.

On the TVS that vacuum line has to stay in tact. You will have to reuse the three way rubber vacuum fitting off the side of the blower and plug one port or just run a T-fitting off the side of the blower. One port will go to the SIP sensor and the other to the boost bypass actuator. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll update the OP with this info as well.

In the pics below, you can see the vacuum line going to the boost bypass actuator coming around the back side of the blower going to the top/side port of the boost bypass actuator.

m5lp-1203-30-2013-ford-shelby-gt500-trinity-5-8-v8.jpg

m5lp-1203-32-2013-ford-shelby-gt500-trinity-5-8-v8.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread