07-09 Cam Install?

KevinD92

Established Member
I'm contemplating getting an 07-09 GT500 and if I do, I definitely want to cam it. A friend and I have installed FRPP Hot Rod Cams on S197 GT's twice thus far. How much harder is it to do on these engines?

JimIII@jdm

Definitley a much more difficult job than installing cams on a 3V. For one, twice as many cams...besides the obvious with that you have another set of chains and timing marks to line up. Just replacing the cams will take about 1-2 days. However installing higher lift cams in a Supercharged car it is highly recommended to install stiffer seat pressure Valve springs. With more lift and boost your putting a tremendous amount of load on the back of the valve and the stock springs will not hold, eventually running into Valve Float. This keeps the valves from closing properly and dumps boost out of the exhaust causing power loss.

JDM Super Stock Cam Package

This is why we have developed a package that includes all the parts you need and will make between 70-100 HP over your factory cams! Installation with springs takes a little longer. We book 20 hours on this install in our shop so that would be about 2-3 days down time. These things sound amazing, and have been very popular amoung the SVT community! If you have any questions feel free to ask me direct at 732-780-0770 or email [email protected]

Thanks,

JimIII

JDM_Super_Stock_Cams_Package_Shelby_Gt500_5.4L_Mustang__11062.1405421822.1200.1200.jpg

JimIII@jdm

What's the price on labor to get them installed? Just curious, the wife said the car doesn't sound enough like a muscle car :lol:

Well for Cams and Springs which we book at 20 hrs for $115 per hr your looking at $2300 labor.

JimIII@jdm

And that's why I want to do it at home!

haha I don't blame you, we do have a few customers who have done it successfully at home. If you are going to attempt it, familiarize your self with the 4V motor some but doing research. There is plenty of helpful advice out there if you look, don't wait until your balls deep in your engine!

Let me know if there is anything we can help with!

JimIII

mavisky

Established Member
Doing this would it be wise to beef up the lower end?

That all depends on what else you've done to the engine. If the cams are your only mod then you'd have nothing to worry about. The bottom ends on these cars can take a lot of power, most guys are ok running into the high 700's low 800's on a stock bottom end with a good tune and race gas/ meth injection.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Me personally, I just bought a set of the SVT high lift cams for my 2008, they are the production cams for the 2005/06 Ford GT and 2013/14 GT500. If I remember correctly they were $721 plus shipping (approx. $30). Will these production SVT cams sound like the aftermarket higher lift cams, no, but they also don't require a spring and retainer change...............and like I mentioned, I got them for $721+shipping. I would guess that if these cams helped to produce 662hp at the flywheel on a 2013/14, they "should" help out a little 500 horse 2008 with a KB blower, maybe? They are also 50 state federal emissions legal if that is an issue.

My main concern was "if" I could somehow get the drivers side valve/cam cover off without lowering the engine? <<That was my biggest concern. I talked to a couple of members who have in fact removed their valve covers without lowering the engine, they said it was a little bit of "twister" to get that left cover off, but it is doable if you take your time. Another issue that was of concern was the timing cover..............Was I going to have to take apart the front of my 5.4 to get this done...................again the answer was no. I found a December 2010 Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords article called "GT500 Cam Swap". In this article they did drop the K-member for ease of install but the timing cover was not removed. So putting together the information from forum members stating that the drivers cover can be removed without lowering the engine, and reading the article with pictures showing that the timing cover can remain factory sealed against the front, I figured what the heck, for $750 or so dollars and my time, I can get higher lift cams in my car and not do a whole lot of extras, just take my time and pay attention.

At some point in the future I will take on this project, I still need to buy the timing chain wedge tool.............approx. $100 + or -. I think it is about $150 for the Rotunda wedge tool. The main thing was to get these cams at what I considered a good price since most vendors seem to want considerably more for this SVT cam set, many $1100+, some in the $1300+ price range.

R

69b302

Established Member
I have done the cams by dropping the motor completely out, and by just lowering the motor. Dropping the motor out does take longer, but is so much easier.

Last edited:

USMC500

Established Member
Thanks guys and you are correct Bill Miller and Don Wood Top Notch in what they do. Bills attention to detail and customer service surpasses any I ever experienced in the after market car worl. And it doesn't hurt being friends with the Man Jimmy L.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
B.A. Performance has been doing smaller cams on my car and many others which did not require springs or retainers. Materials and labor were around half with cams only. The way he degrees them makes them sound like much bigger cams and he got me 100 HP and well into the 9's!. Check other links in my signature.

Here's what the cam's sound like. Listen to the end when the motor warms up.

[youtube_browser]f5u1AWzkdqw[/youtube_browser]

DGladhill

Established Member
B.A. Performance has been doing smaller cams on my car and many others which did not require springs or retainers. Materials and labor were around half with cams only. The way he degrees them makes them sound like much bigger cams and he got me 100 HP and well into the 9's!. Check other links in my signature.

Here's what the cam's sound like. Listen to the end when the motor warms up.

[youtube_browser]f5u1AWzkdqw[/youtube_browser]

Mmmmm...

Users who are viewing this thread