06 gto or 03-04 cobra

crj814x4

Driving GOD
Established Member
I know this is a sad thing but I was thinking of getting a 06 GTO than a 04 Cobra :eek:. I've wanted a cobra for a couple of years now. I still own my 96 and plan on keeping it. Stock from stock does anyone here now which is quicker and more reliable. plan to use it for everyday use. Oh please dont hurt me. thanks everyone

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
the cobra is faster stock for stock, no question at all. the cobra is much cheaper to mod, and has more overall potential. the GTO is much smoother, and has a GREAT interior. cobra gives you 450rwhp with a pulley catback, and intake--under $1200. to get anywhere near that with a GTO you need longtubes ($1400 with midpipe), intake ($250), cam ($350 not counting install), and a tune ($250). you'll still be at around 420rwhp if the cam is mild---

i always make this piont: at 80mph in 6th, the GTO is spinning 2000rpms, while the cobra is at 2300---it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it IS.

i have both cars. the GTO is my daily driver, and the cobra is my weekend warrior

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
GTO owns the termi for daily use. :read: The termi has an inferior 20yr old chassis, a k-mart interior and terrible ergonomics. Insurance will be cheaper on the GTO and the gas mileage is much better. Hate to say it but the GTO is also far more reliable and less complex than the termi. There are NO known quality issues with the LS2 or the 4L60E tranny. Maintenance will be cheaper/easier also on the goat.

On the other hand if you're racing every douche out there on the way to work, then go with the termi. You just can't beat 450rwhp with a pulley/tune.

**puts on 2 flame suits**

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
I only had an 04 GTO, but I was putting more miles on the Cobra. It was just more fun to drive. Neither ever left me stranded.

Image1.jpg

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
There are NO known quality issues with the LS2 or the 4L60E tranny.

lmfao, youve got to be kidding about that tranny? I know plenty and i mean PLENTY of people that have that same tranny and they had to replace them numerous times. Most of them were modded but there was quite a few that were very mildly modded and the tranny was always going out on them. So sorry but there IS known quality issues with that tranny. Everyone I know with them calls them the "paper mache" (sp) transmission because they suck so bad

JasonSnake

Established Member
4L60E ftw. Had a '95 Roadmaster wagon with an LT1 and that tranny died on me...but it was fun beating up other Caprices/Impalas/Roadmasters since I had a few mods including long tubes and full magnaflow exhaust.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
the GTO is the better daily driver. but i think maintainance on the goat will be more expensive. the ergonomics on the goat are much better. my insurance IS cheaper on the goat, but not by too much. i actually have the cobra as a 'leisure' car through state farm, so its less than the goat in my case.

crj814x4

Driving GOD
Established Member
I am getting great response on the subject. But I forgot to mention one thing and that is I drive one way 32 miles. But the cobra has been my 1st choise for a while. I really wanted to use the sn95 for daily use but the 5.0dohc that ford is selling will probably buy it and put it on the sn95. I am all screwed. :??::??: But keep it coming. :D:

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
GTO owns the termi for daily use. :read: The termi has an inferior 20yr old chassis, a k-mart interior and terrible ergonomics. Insurance will be cheaper on the GTO and the gas mileage is much better. Hate to say it but the GTO is also far more reliable and less complex than the termi. There are NO known quality issues with the LS2 or the 4L60E tranny. Maintenance will be cheaper/easier also on the goat.

On the other hand if you're racing every douche out there on the way to work, then go with the termi. You just can't beat 450rwhp with a pulley/tune.

the cobra is on an inferior chassis with more aftermarket support than anything in the world, whereas the gto is on a great chassis with a 60 year old motor design(touched by the hand of god) and a 25 year old transmission, with an inferior independent suspension and no after market support.

the gto is simple, but the cobra has the longblock that will handle 1000hp and a blower which allows EASY cheap horsepower.

they both have the same manual transmission(or close)

i would choose the cobra cause im young, a gto is kinda an older person car imo.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
also, i think the cobra is actually capable of better gas mileage if you stay out of the boost. the gto with any boltons is gonna hurt gas mileage whereas the cobra wont really be affected.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
the cobra is on an inferior chassis with more aftermarket support than anything in the world, whereas the gto is on a great chassis with a 60 year old motor design(touched by the hand of god) and a 25 year old transmission, with an inferior independent suspension and no after market support.

the gto is simple, but the cobra has the longblock that will handle 1000hp and a blower which allows EASY cheap horsepower.

they both have the same manual transmission(or close)

i would choose the cobra cause im young, a gto is kinda an older person car imo.

terrible post..........

1st off, we are talking about a daily driver here. Aftermarket support doesn't matter, he already owns a mustang. Also I had no idea that a 400hp, 6.0L all aluminum small block with sequential port fuel injection is a 60yr old design. :dw:

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member

Do you own an 03-04 Cobra?

Charles Bronson

Established Member
I had an '04 Cobra and a guy I know had an '05 GTO. As stated above, as long as I stayed out of the boost, I got the same or sometimes better MPG. I spanked him at the track and on the street numerous times . He only beat me once after $1500 in mods and on ET streets, while I had exhaust only and was on my stock F1's.
The GTO fanboys will go on and on about the interior of their car is better. If you want a car with a nice interior, go buy a BMW or Audi. The Cobra is the better car all around.
Then there is the whole depreciation thing. GTO's have depreciated faster than a Pinto that just burst into flames, while the Cobra's (that aren't ragged out) are still pulling nice cash.

Users who are viewing this thread