'06 cobra $50K+? is this true??

REPOEDsDIME

w00000t w00t!
Established Member
---horsepower.com--- "What of the current Cobra's supercharged DOHC V-8? An SVT-ified version of the new Mustang will break cover in mid-2005. We expect at least 400 horses this time around, mated to a six-speed manual transmission, possibly offering sequential manual control. More about the next Cobra as its development story progresses."

jimwood

Established Member
New cobra?
aston.jpg

jimwood

Established Member
DOHHHHHH. THat looks damn similar to the new mustang. Ford owns Auston Martin, No? I wonder how much they used from that older design, if anything.
This was the general information from that car:
GENERAL
WEIGHT 1990kg *4387lb
LENGTH 474cm *187in
WIDTH 194cm *76in
HEIGHT 132cm *52in
PERFORMANCE
TOP SPEED 300kph *186mph
0-100kph (*0-60mph) 4,6s
TRANSMISSION
TYPE manual
GEARBOX 6 speed
MECHANICAL
ENGINE TYPE 32 valve, V8
DISPLACEMENT 5341cc
HORSE POWER 557bhp@6500rpm
TIRES 285/45ZR18

I would be very happy with those numbers in a Cobra.

Last edited:

magred

Established Member
HP costs money! FORD can't sit back and charge too little and expect to make a profit. To handle that increase in power, they would have to change the traction and handling. SO, with just those changes alone you can expect an increase in price. Now FORD has said they plan on making it up to/surpass M model performance and interior, so there you are definitely talking about a price increase. The thing you have to remember, quality and HP cost money and FORD is like any company out there. They are in business to make money. They are not going to give you something for nothing. Shoot, there is talk of the next C6 ZO6 costing approx. 60k. And don't forget, you will most likely pay the Gas Guzzler tax to get that kind of HP.

AS for GM making the Blue Devil, I think they (GM) would be stupid not to get in on the American Exotic wagon. Chrysler is coming out with the ME 412. Now it may not come out as a Vette though. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out of the Cadillac lineup. GM has shown lately that they are making it their premier car lineup.

All in all, we as HP junkies can be happy. We are the true winners, at least until CAFE comes in and changes the MPG regulations. Or even moreso, the insurance industry steps in and puts it too us.

P.S. on a sidenote, Saleen is back on the ALMS. This year should be really good.

jcayer

Eats Ryc
Established Member
Hey, I went out and compared vettes and the cobra, I ended up with the cobra myself. I had NO interest in the Z06 what-so ever. They come with NO options at all, and if this is going to be my daily, that leaves that WAY out. I have always been a mustang fan, but a Vette is bad-ass on its own. But, reality sets in, and for my daily, the 4 seats are more useful then 2 and half a trunk... Personally, more features, more horsepower (350 to the cobra 390) and more seats, it ended up being the best for my needs.. to each their own.... (The only part that I didnt' like, is that the cobra doesn't have a heads up display option, the vettes really have something sweet there...., AGAIN, not avail on the z06's....)

Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread