06/07 Gt

fordification

Established Member
I haven't heard any changes for the next 2 years of production. Will there be any adjustments? I'm not even sure what I would change. I assume the body would remain.

Vic

Established Member
Ah-hem, well, they do have that new V10, 590hp, natrually aspirated, its light, and its short, has a low center of gravity, and might just fit! Its naturally aspirated @590hp, but could still be blown, so it has the potential for much more power.

It is rumored around Detroit that the Ford GT will have a V10 in 2006. I came across this article which seems to confirm the possibilities, at least from a technical standpoint, if not a financial one.

Here is the article from Automotive Design + Production, an industry publication you won't see on the newstand.

Excerpt:

"Building a 427 wasn’t the goal of Brune’s and Coleman’s program. The point of their exercise was to produce a V10 much more compact than Ford’s current offerings, one that would provide the option of putting a V10 under the hood of vehicles where the truck V10 wouldn’t fit. “Even though we borrowed the head design from the Mustang Cobra R,” says Brune, “the 427 is nearly the same length as the 5.4-liter V8, and 70 lb lighter.” And it produces 590 hp @ 6,500 rpm, and 509 lb-ft of torque at 5,500 rpm while meeting expected emission standards, something the 1960s-era 427 could never accomplish. It also comes in 351-in3 and 390-in3 displacements—numbers familiar to Ford enthusiasts—and the former can safely spin to a heady 7,500 rpm."

http://www.autofieldguide.com/columns/sawyer/0303dud.html

Last edited:

fordification

Established Member
Thanks for the link! They also go on to say the 427 in n/a form would be about 120lbs lighter. And the V10 would serve on future vehicles....ie.GR-1.

And has there been anymore word on what will follow in the GT's footsteps? The idea was that the GR-1 would, placing it around the Viper/Vette price range. Hopefully that 4000lb concept was just for eye candy.

satx

Banned
a 4.6 mod with two extra cylinders becomes a 351, a 5.4 mod with two extra cylinders becomes a 390, how is this 427 derived? This seems like some kind of conspiracy. Did ford really plan on making a bunch of V10s with traditional ford displacement numbers when they designed these motors?

Last edited:

satx

Banned
after going back through the article, it sounds as if the 427 is a completely new engine. The article states that the head design "based" on the 5.4 cobra R and that this motor was created to be more compact. Initially I thought they were just grafting on extra cylinders to an existing design. I wonder if the 120 lbs weight difference includes the intercooler/fluids, etc. Maybe with this V10 the GT could come in under 3300lbs. A lighter more powerfull GT with a 7500rpm redline would be pretty sweet. I wonder if there is any chance of this happening.

Vic

Established Member
I know, I'm rehashing old sh*t!

Shhh, people are listening! :-D

I haven't heard anymore about a new V10 since that article, so maybe this motor died a stillbirth?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
im not sure if i would want them putting that in the GT. all the magazines rave about how it uses its low end tourque to rocket the car out of corners unlike ferraris that need to be topped in the RPM range to hit their maximum tourqe. the V10 seems just like the other german and italian engines, no bottom end but a lot of top end. even if it makes more power its not like the 5.4 isnt topped out on power(at all!!!). overall, i would prefer the lower end tourqe and overall lower end power of the 5.4 even if it does make sacrifices. oh well, it sounds like these engines are(unfortunately) dead anyways.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Powder blue with a orange stripe.

Well supposedly anyways, according to a high end Ford guy I ran into on a golf course down here. Said if there is a problem with that color scheme (like from someone named Gulf :) ) they will just change the hues slightly and the hell with it.

Again, heresay but there is already 1 car in this color from the factory I've seen pictures of (actually I saw them on this site from a camera phone), didn't have a stripe kit though.

Last edited:

satx

Banned
ttt for new info......'05 production is almost 80% complete, shouldn't we be hearing about '06 now?

fordification

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
im not sure if i would want them putting that in the GT. all the magazines rave about how it uses its low end tourque to rocket the car out of corners unlike ferraris that need to be topped in the RPM range to hit their maximum tourqe. the V10 seems just like the other german and italian engines, no bottom end but a lot of top end. even if it makes more power its not like the 5.4 isnt topped out on power(at all!!!). overall, i would prefer the lower end tourqe and overall lower end power of the 5.4 even if it does make sacrifices. oh well, it sounds like these engines are(unfortunately) dead anyways.

Going from 330 to 427ci would still carry alot of torque as long as the stroke isn't drastically changed. The other supercar V-10 are screamers, built over square, with much smaller displacement.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i was mainly referring to the smaller V-10s that people wee talking about, didnt really think about the 427. that would great to see that 427 in it, certainly would bring more tourque too. the only problem is that we dont know if these have been shelved(destroyed?) like the hurricane project(WHY FORD, WHY?!?!?!?!).

fordification

Established Member
the biggest issue is weight. I'm just guessing but the heads must be where the majority of excessive weight.

Users who are viewing this thread