05 runs 12's!

Kafn8td

Viperia Aspis
Established Member
12 sec 05 Mustang!
This months Hot Rod has the first 05 Mustang in the 12's in it! Of Course Paul's High Performance did it (first Mach in the 11's, First Cobra in the 10's). Looks like it took quite a bit to get it there-
new suspension front and rear (moved shock locations etc)
4.30 gears
Eaton Carbon Fiber Clutch
took out 380 pounds including the rear seat,
full exhaust,
underdrive pullies,
CAI
the owner of SCT redid the computer,
put wildwood lightweight brakes on it,
fabricated support rods on the tranny to allow powershifting and 15x8 Weld wheel with 26x10.5 Et Streets.
I think that was it...

Final result was 299.5 hp and 319 tq. Weighed in at 3,120lbs

Stock they got a best of 13.90 @101.3
They said wheelhop in the stock form was so bad they thought they were going to break the rear end! Engine management won't let you powershift or do a burnout!
No burnouts? Is this true?

Last edited:

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
They didn't change the rear gear? Up here in michigan at this time of year I'm sure wheelhop is quite prevalent.

Blk_C5_FRC

Established Member
Wow.... That really isnt that impressive. I figured the new Stangs were gonna be quicker then that, like at least Mach 1 performance.

AzDropTop

Established Member
Probably need a stupid question alert here, but Wheel hop with a solid axle? Why would that happen?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Sapperstang said:
LMAO. Machs are getting into the 12's with nothing but a set of sticky tires.
I am not sure why people are even comparing the machs and 05GT. The 05GT is heavier with less HP. Even though its an all new mustang, it is still a GT. Have the 96-04 GT's ever ran mid to high 13's stock? (except for a few exceptions). Its a good car for what it is, a mustang GT.

The mach1 is a 4v motor, so lets be fair, we will compare the mach1 against the terminator and the new 07 cobra : )

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
AzDropTop said:
Probably need a stupid question alert here, but Wheel hop with a solid axle? Why would that happen?
I got hop in my 97 Cobra too. Not as bad as my 03 though.

Formula51

Established Member
This makes a lot more sense. There stock time is good on the mph, but a little lower than some I have seen on ET. What was the 12 second time and trap speed?

It appers that Ford had to compromise drag strip performance for handling performance. Looks like the new suspension does very well in the twisties but not quite as well in a straight line as Mustangs of the past.

380lbs is a lot of weight reduction. Not to mention the decreased rotating mass from the brakes and wheels. JDM seams to have done mid 12's with the same horsepower and torque, with no weight reduction at all. I think they even had a few less modifications.

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
JDM is said to have gone 12.45 with only 5 mods with their new '05GT. I can't remember them all, but they include 4.30 or 4.56 gears, ET Streets, reflash, QA1 rear shocks(to prevent wheelhop), catback exhaust, and something else. There's supposedly ran 13.4 all stock. I think it's listed on their website(I've seen written reports on other boards though). The netted some 301rwhp and 315tq.

Wheelhop has been an issue for Mustangs since they had enough power to cause it, back in the 80's. Of course, all those had live axle rears.

Formula51

Established Member
The biggest difference here is that JDM ran the quickest stock time to date at 13.4 and Paul's High Performance ran a touch on the slow side at 13.9. I dont know where Paul's is located, but I know JDM ran at Englishtown which is one of the fastest racetracks. Perhaps Paul's run was at higher elevation in bad air?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Formula51 said:
The biggest difference here is that JDM ran the quickest stock time to date at 13.4 and Paul's High Performance ran a touch on the slow side at 13.9. I dont know where Paul's is located, but I know JDM ran at Englishtown which is one of the fastest racetracks. Perhaps Paul's run was at higher elevation in bad air?

I was there the first night PHP had their 05 at Milan, so I assume that was the track they ran at. For comparative purpose, the best I've run at Milan is 11.44 on ET Streets, coincidentally the same time I ran in worse weather on freakin 295 street tires at Norwalk... :rolleyes: Not a good track.

They were running no ET the night I saw them, and I'd bet that 13.9 was by far one of the better runs. That was the same night my buddies 03 Cobra barely eeked a 13.4.

Last edited:

gmcvt

Established Member
JKD COBRA said:
I am not sure why people are even comparing the machs and 05GT. The 05GT is heavier with less HP. Even though its an all new mustang, it is still a GT. Have the 96-04 GT's ever ran mid to high 13's stock? (except for a few exceptions). Its a good car for what it is, a mustang GT.

The mach1 is a 4v motor, so lets be fair, we will compare the mach1 against the terminator and the new 07 cobra : )

Weight
Mach1 (5sp) 3465 305hp
auto 3475
05 GT (5sp) 3450 300hp
auto 3500
Seems pretty even to me

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
I'm really starting to come around! We are starting to see some pretty incredible times from this little car, and I have a feeling there is more to come....

It truely is a testimate to Fords tranny gear selection and rear suspension, not to mention the stout little engine. The new GT is getting down into LS1 territory with some good drivers and the nice cold air. That is incredible considering the car has about 30-40 rwhp less. I never thought I would like a Mustang (other than the Cobra) but I got to tip my hat to Ford.

:beer: Here's hoping I like the look of one of the future SE Mustangs and I might be ALL OVER IT!!!!!! I wonder if my Chevy Family will still invite me to Christmas and Thanksgiving? Hehe....

Formula51

Established Member
The GT is pretty much right on. Dyno around 265rwhp and Ford claims the new drivetrain only has 12% parasitic loss. Comes out to right about 300hp.

Users who are viewing this thread