• 2005 Mustang GT

Votes: 228 71.0%
  • Wouldn't get either.

Votes: 48 15.0%

• Total voters

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Which would you choose if you had the money? I think honestly I would choose the 04 GT because of the more advanced looks. The 05 looks good and all, but I know it is going to get beaten to death with the V6 model just like the 99-04 body style has.

So I am asking your opinion:

If you had the money, which would you choose? A brand new 05 Mustang GT or the 04 Mustang GT? Personally, I say the 04, because it just looks better IMHO, but that is me...

mingrey02gt

Established Member
Better chassis, suspension, brakes, engine, stereo and safety in the 05 as compared to an 04 GT. Looks are entirely subjective, so there's not much reason to talk about that. I'd go with the 05 GT.

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by mingrey02gt
Better chassis, suspension, brakes, engine, stereo and safety in the 05 as compared to an 04 GT. Looks are entirely subjective, so there's not much reason to talk about that. I'd go with the 05 GT.

Is it really that much of an improvement? What about tranny wise for manual and auto, is it still the 4R70W / T-45 (auto / manual)??

I know the new SOHC is 3V which is good and puts out 300 HP, but I mean the 04 can definitely put out the same power with little modification.

mingrey02gt

Established Member
This site and its forums can pretty much answer any question you have about the 2005 Mustang.

To answer your question, the automatic in both the V6 and GT is going to be the 5 speed Tremec 5R55S that's in the Lincoln LS and Thunderbird. I don't think they've used the T-45 manual in many years, it's going to be the Tremec T-3650.

Rumor is the 3v is putting out the same power numbers as the 03-04 Mach 1's, so they're a fair bit above current GT horsepower numbers.

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by mingrey02gt
...the automatic in both the V6 and GT is going to be the 5 speed Tremec 5R55S that's in the Lincoln LS and Thunderbird.

Um.. That may not be a good thing.. to quote from MT's article from their yearly test on the 02 Thunderbird:

" We weren't nearly as impressed with the transmission. Many editors noted a lack of smoothness during the 1-2 upshift and/or felt that most of the shifts were mush. Sessions wrote, 'The tight torque converter makes lurch -free getaways difficult to achieve.' The ZF six-speed automatic currently used by Jaguar would mate to this engine and be a worthwhile upgrade."

I am sure the Mustang will get upgrades to counter this problem.

Last edited:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Originally posted by Metalbassist03
Is it really that much of an improvement? What about tranny wise for manual and auto, is it still the 4R70W / T-45 (auto / manual)??

I know the new SOHC is 3V which is good and puts out 300 HP, but I mean the 04 can definitely put out the same power with little modification.

Yeah, only
full exhaust
pulleys
chip
port and polish
different intake
cold air
larger injectors and mass air meter

It takes quite a bit to get 300hp out of a SOHC 2valve.

I'd personally wait until the 05' comes out of course to make your decision. That way you can test drive both get the feel of both and whichever you feel better driving buy it. I personally think that if you lower the 05' and put some nice 18's on it(hopefully they'll come stock with them) it'll look great. Also, hopefully the roof wont sit too high on them.

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2

It takes quite a bit to get 300hp out of a SOHC 2valve.

I'd personally wait until the 05' comes out of course to make your decision. That way you can test drive both get the feel of both and whichever you feel better driving buy it. I personally think that if you lower the 05' and put some nice 18's on it(hopefully they'll come stock with them) it'll look great. Also, hopefully the roof wont sit too high on them.

Damn.. Didn't think it would of taken THAT much.. You Mustang guys got it easy compared to us T-Bird dudes, I thought for modification the Mustang easily could surpass the new one (blower kit anyone?). I mean, dollar for dollar it would make sense, if you put a blower on a 2000 or 2001 Mustang that you got for $10,000 or spent $25,000++ (due to markup by dealer) for a GT I am pretty positive the current gen would win wouldn't it?

You guys got it real easy :D. For 300 HP (at the wheels) we (T-Bird owners) MUST have a blower practically.

You are correct though, I'll test drive the 05 (or probably 07, wait till they get the kinks and shit straigtened out) and then I'd decide which one to get.. We are of course talking GT.

Grandmarq86

Established Member
i'd proly go with the '05 i like the looks and it has more power, but you'll have to wait a little while for the aftermarket to catch up.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by Metalbassist03

Dude, the 05 is 25 years newer then an 04. have you seen it in person yet?

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by Grandmarq86
i'd proly go with the '05 i like the looks and it has more power, but you'll have to wait a little while for the aftermarket to catch up.

"Ford Motor Company had the '05 Mustang on display, and the car is like a dynamo, transferring excitement directly into all who see it! The number one question though out the event for the Team Steeda members in attendance – “What's Steeda got in the pipe for the new Pony Car?” The answer we're pleased to report - by October, when the new Mustang debuts, Steeda Autosports will have complete suspension systems available; shocks, springs, adjustable upper links, panhard bars, wheels, tires, caster camber plates, along with a nice aero package to help clean up the aerodynamics of the vehicle. According to Dario, “Yes! We will be ready in October when the car is delivered.” The Technology Transfer Program between Ford and Steeda seems to be beating the “after” right out of the Mustang aftermarket! "

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
As usual, the '05 isn't perfect, but lower it, put wider tires, and pray the quality is job one starts being the truth and it should be pretty cool.

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by PowerWheels
As usual, the '05 isn't perfect, but lower it, put wider tires, and pray the quality is job one starts being the truth and it should be pretty cool.

I'm mainly ashamed that the image will take a bashing due to the V6 model and morons who don't know shit about the car.. Oh well, the car looks cool, but I still prefer the 04 frame. If all this stuff is better than the 04 like you all say, I'd probably go 05 then.

DSG03Snake

Established Member
I think the 04 looks better, but if I were choosing between the two the improved performance of the 05, especially the motor, would make me go for the 05. Plus the interior seems much better put together.

KCFocusSVT

Established Member
I agree with you all, gotta go with the '05. The new frame for the '05 is well worth it on it's own (if you've ever driven a T-Bird, then you know what I'm talking about), you throw in that engine, and sweet looking body, and you've got a winner.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much improved I dont even think die-hard followers like me(after 5 fox-ups mind you) realize the potential of this car. When you realize that an 04 has a 2.5" shorter wheelbase then a focus 3-door, you know its time to move on.

WindveilBlueGT.jpg

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I always wanted a Cobra and after seeing the new 05 I ran out and bought an 04 before they were all gone. I don't care much for the "retro" look that much. I'm sure a lot of people were getting tired of the Fox platform and wanted something new which I certainly understand that. The exterior of the 05 is nice and would be even better if they changed the tail lights a bit. The interior is a diffrent story. I gasp at the decorative syling. The gauges looked like they "were" pulled out of a 64 Mustang. Maybe my opinion will change when I see the new Mustang in person but from what I've seen so far I think it's a step back in terms of styling. I'm sure the 05 has been improved form a engineering perspective over the Fox platform.

This is just my .02 cents worth.

Mr. Jack

Established Member
There is no contest between these two cars. If I was in the market for a GT, I would not even blink about choosing the 05. I like the looks of both cars. Taking a car on a brand new chassis VS an ancient 25 year old one is not even a contest.

A better poll (which I am sure has been done many times before) is 03/04 Cobra Vs 05 GT. I'm choosing the former.

M4RKz SVT

Established Member
i had the same problem 3 weeks ago. 05 GT or 03 Cobra? i went with the Cobra. If any of you guys have a chance to get an amazing car like i did, make sure you dont surpass that chance. You'll never regret it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread