05 F250 heater help

beau t

Established Member
Hey guys i have a 05 f250 king ranch that the heat only blows warm in, last year i flushed out the heater core (not to dirty didn't seem plugged)but that didn't help, it doesn't loose coolant and comes up to temp so I'm curious how do i check the blend door or the electronic temp controls. i bought the Truck with blown head gaskets so i replaced the heads and studded it also moved the oil cooler to the front of the intercooler its now a air to oil cooler. i don't know if it had the problem before i bought it or not, its not unbearable for me but when the wife rides in it i would like for it to be warmer lol. Any help would be appreciated THANKS.

beau t

Established Member
Update: pulled the door off that hides the heater core was able to see the blend door function so that got ruled out, got a temp gun to check heater core saw from 125deg to 85 deg so i guess flushing it got flow but its got to much trash in it to fully flow good or the heater control valve is not open either way I'm swapping out the heater core because of previous issues from head gaskets and not knowing how long the gold fluid stayed in the truck.While i have it drained for the heater core the flow control valve that feeds the heater core will be checked. i will update on progress in case it may help out someone else.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
I had a 99 Explorer 5.0 with 225k miles that had luke warm heat in the cold and virtually nothing in the frigid cold.

I flushed the heater core multiple times, verified the blend door worked, and replaced the heater control valve. Flushing seemed to help for a week or so and it went back to luke warm heat after. I never did replace the heater core but I’m positive it was rusted internally and not allowing for a good transfer of heat.

beau t

Established Member
I had a 99 Explorer 5.0 with 225k miles that had luke warm heat in the cold and virtually nothing in the frigid cold.

I flushed the heater core multiple times, verified the blend door worked, and replaced the heater control valve. Flushing seemed to help for a week or so and it went back to luke warm heat after. I never did replace the heater core but I’m positive it was rusted internally and not allowing for a good transfer of heat.

Thanks for the input! i know the truck has had the head gaskets replaced 2x (i did it the second time) so there is no telling if previous owner poured some kind of stop leak in it to try and repair said issue and help clog, anyhow i went by my local ford dealer and ordered a new heater core since its not to bad to swap on these, should be here in a couple of days.

beau t

Established Member
Ok guys here is the update so far - - picked up the heater core today and got the inside part of the truck done will finish the outside tomorrow. i had issues trying to get the stupid quick disconnect to let go under the hood (1 came off the other did not, ended up just cutting the lines loose off of the heater core and pulling the cut off line out to disconnect it as usual it came right apart once i had it out lol. Ford did a good job in making it pretty straight forward to replace so no complaints there, if i hadn't wasted hours before cutting the line i would have been done. I should be done tomorrow so i will update it 1 more time.

beau t

Established Member
finished up under the hood today let it run about 10 mins temp gauge never moved, didn't drive it to get heat in the motor but it was already making 2 x the heat than when it was up to temp so I'm calling it good lol. Hope this is helpful to someone else in the same situation.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I went through this with my 99 V10.
There is a tool you can buy , to release those quick connects. I found that I could get it done with out the tool.
Push in on hose with 1 hand , squeeze the quick connects with the other . A bit hard to do , but I did get it done . Biggest problem , I could see in the cavity , but once I had my hand in there , it was all brail.

Users who are viewing this thread