05-09 GT known problems/fix solutions

Stang Lover

Established Member
I believe this should be a sticky so people can just go straight to the thread instead of making new threads about known common probelms. So when a different problem occurs and you fix it, just put it in this thread and do a write up on it. Anyway.

I've been doing some research on the S197 and ive got to understand alot more about them. I was actually blown away by how they perform with just simple mods.

My question is what are the known problems that occur on these cars? Are they really big probelms or just do it yourself for a couple bucks? Is there any difference between the 05-09 models GT wise? What should I look for when going to look at a S197?

I know most common problems on the previous mustangs so I want to know the common ones on the S197's.

99GTtony

Rain city stanger
Established Member
Spark plug breakage for one.
Front end clunking noise that dealerships can never fix.
05-06 had rear end problems on quite a few due to no friction modifier by the factory.
Failures of the butterfly valves under the upper intake.
I have seen some people have dead batteries after leaving car for a weekish.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Spark plug breakage for one.
Front end clunking noise that dealerships can never fix.
05-06 had rear end problems on quite a few due to no friction modifier by the factory.
Failures of the butterfly valves under the upper intake.
I have seen some people have dead batteries after leaving car for a weekish.

Now what years do these problems mostly occur on? I've also heard of the gas needles failing.

Did anybody ever figure out what the clunk is?

Butterfly valves are similar to the 96-98 imrc right? Do people delete these?

Last edited:

cobradrivr

Heaton Slowbra *****
Established Member
Now what years do these problems mostly occur on? I've also heard of the gas needles failing.

Did anybody ever figure out what the clunk is?

Butterfly valves are similar to the 96-98 imrc right? Do people delete these?

Isnt the clunk the weak strut mounts? Especially with lowering springs.

99GTtony

Rain city stanger
Established Member
Mine has the clunk, and yes, it seems to be the strut mounts. I have yet to change mine.
A lot of people do the deletes, my deletes just showed up about 2 days ago, awaiting install (probably when my cams go in) they have to be tuned.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
safe to say, stick to 07+. my 07 has had non of those issues(outside of the clunk) at 39k.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
My 08 rattles & squeeks like a mofo. Basically impossible to fix. You stop one, another shows up.

~30,000

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
My car has been nearly trouble free. I had a squeeky driver's side mirror and also that side mirror/driver door window trim had to be replaced. My car also had a weird outline around the mustang on the steering wheel, It was warped and not an outline, so they replaced my steering wheel. Car has been great to me so far.

I just did my sprark plugs at 31,000 and it was a cake walk....

Users who are viewing this thread