04 Terminator ... anything on replacing timing components?

StangItMan

Established Member
Wifey's car at just under 150K, been parked for two years now. Long list of "to do's" before placing her back on the road. Only mods are exhaust, intake filter and cat less.

Will be refreshing all fluids, replacing water pump and hoses, considering the thermostat upgrade, both belts and ... entertaining renewing all the timing components. Note: Really can't say that we heard any noise coming from the front of this motor.

Primary concerned about the timing components project, any help appreciated.

Side Note:
Certainly will listen to all recommendations to bring this '04 up to speed.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
If they didn't make noise before I wouldn't mess with them. If you have a tuner to adjust the fan temps I would definitely go with a cooler thermostat. Also check the intercooler pump and make sure it's still working.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
mine's at 133k and i just did a similar refresh this past winter. just an overall engine bay cleaning with new valve cover, timing cover, oil pan, oil cooler adapter gaskets from ford. it worked out real nice - i think she could go for another 130, knock on wood. the ds tensioner was the only thing i replaced, otherwise the engine looked really, really good inside.

i agree with 01yellercobra... if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

StangItMan

Established Member
If they didn't make noise before I wouldn't mess with them. If you have a tuner to adjust the fan temps I would definitely go with a cooler thermostat. Also check the intercooler pump and make sure it's still working.
Will need coaching regarding the IC pump test, and ... wasn't on here that a guy's modded thermostat was featured for sale?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Mine has been sitting just about 2 years also. Driven couple times.

Got 3 times that mileage and just started using it again ,,got a squeaky ball joint and could use upper stut mounts.

My trans fluid is still original

Did the rear just before parking,

Having some ac issues and abs light

Some use may change things and more maintenance,,

But for where we live 120 miles is a normal per trip out to stores,

efnfast

Established Member
i wouldn't open up the engine if it's working - mine has ~250k on it and all I've done on the engine is outer tensioner, inner/outer belt and pulleys .... small drop of oil on the ground so have to chase that down somebody (I imagine either RMS or some gasket)

StangItMan

Established Member
Mine has been sitting just about 2 years also. Driven couple times.

Got 3 times that mileage and just started using it again ,,got a squeaky ball joint and could use upper stut mounts.

My trans fluid is still original

Did the rear just before parking,

Having some ac issues and abs light

Some use may change things and more maintenance,,

But for where we live 120 miles is a normal per trip out to stores,

Wow, how many miles have you?

thanks for your input ... at my age, I still need a little "common sense" nudge to confirm my project needs.

StangItMan

Established Member
i wouldn't open up the engine if it's working - mine has ~250k on it and all I've done on the engine is outer tensioner, inner/outer belt and pulleys .... small drop of oil on the ground so have to chase that down somebody (I imagine either RMS or some gasket)

Understood, we have never used/lost any oil (Amsoil product user) since being the 2nd owner [started at 26K].
Well, with exception to the oil filter adapter gasket, of course.

MG0h3

Established Member
Will need coaching regarding the IC pump test, and ... wasn't on here that a guy's modded thermostat was featured for sale?

Affirm.

Google Termi stat.

He doesn’t make them anymore, but listed the instructions on his site.

I was just ripping on my 2.9whipple car in 95* heat and never touched 200. Full pulls through 3rd and 4th maybe 3 times in 10min

Usually hovers around 185 now

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely don’t crack that motor open unless you absolutely have to. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. These cars have, I think, the strongest factory motors ever built. With regular maintenance they’ll last forever.

Roush6018

Established Member
Hey this car is a very great car. I know about the timing system components. You can get many miles from a engine if you drive it easy. But, these engines are so much fun when you use the power.

The weak spot In the system is the secondary timing chains. These are the chains that on each side connect the intake cam to the exhaust cam. For the cobra motor the best upgrade is to use OEM GT500 secondary timing chains.

also on the drivers side secondary chain tensioner , the OEM is tensioning on the wrong side of the chain from the factory. To fix this you install a new (aftermarket) tensioner for the secondary chains that keeps the slack on the correct side. I installed a cobra engineering kit.

The main timing chain tensioners on your car could be made of plastic. They work fine, and they can be replaced with a OEM heavy duty version made of metal.

And finally I think the main timing chain guides will wear out , over time, a long time… maybe 150k , 175k , 200k , maybe 100k miles they could be worn if ran at high RPM most it’s life. They are just a hard plastic that the metal chain slides along, with engine oil lubricating the chain and chain guide. I hope all this helps you out!!!

StangItMan

Established Member
Affirm.

Google Termi stat.

He doesn’t make them anymore, but listed the instructions on his site.

I was just ripping on my 2.9whipple car in 95* heat and never touched 200. Full pulls through 3rd and 4th maybe 3 times in 10min

Usually hovers around 185 now

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Are you comfortable with using a Motorcraft or Stant product, and what temp?

hotcobra03

Established Member
442,600 ... that is quite impressive, Bill. Pampered miles or driven as Carroll Shelby commands?
First 100k was quite hard but not raped,

I also find this motor needs just basic maintenance,

I did have mine open during head repair,

I only cleaned the oil pick up tube out on bottom,,

Here i found a pile shredded timing chain guide,, as mentioned in other post.

And some chunks of silicone,,

Ford was in once for the 1st head under warranty, seen they did over the fender head swap, which will acount for chunks ,

Glad I did ,,side note,,most of the timing chain shreds were at oil cooler side ,,

Engine temp. Fought that issue ,3 core radiator really helped along with 170deg,

Highly suggest pulling blower,,

Clean intercooler,,
New orings on tubes
And clamp lower pcv hose ,,

It is a easy job and worth the time ,,cooler is an air filter also

StangItMan

Established Member
Certainly appreciate your reply.
Current game plan will include valve cover gasket kit.
Clamping lower PCV hose (?) ... loose fit problem?
Seems a 170 degree thermostat is popular(?).

Users who are viewing this thread