04 SVT, new owner with questions

MustangMatt77

Established Member
Just picked up my first SVT focus, I usually hang out in the SN95 Cobra section.

It's all original except for the stereo.

I have a few questions:

1. Anyone carry a new or aftermarket exhaust heat shield for the exhaust manifold and the cat?

2. I have a lot of stick slop even when in gear. Is this a linkage issue or that little square box with a hole in the middle?
Any links or vendors for new parts?

3. ABS light and ebrake light stay on. I've checked both sensors, wiring, fuse and relay for the ABS, all good.
The thumb button on the ebrake is stuck inside the handle.
Any idea on either of these?

Thanks.

jamesdkali

Look at the transmission thread. There are multiple spots slop can occur.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

MustangMatt77

Established Member
I did replace the bushing on the side of the shifter and found the plastic block on the shift linkage on the top back side of the trans, pulled it apart, turned the block 90 degrees, cleaned the track and put it back together. This cured 90% of the side to side slop and 100% of the front to back slop.

I did pick up a piece of oil-lite bronze and am going to have it machined to replace that square piece of plastic, it will outlast the car and never need lubrication.

jamesdkali

My little square bushing has pretty much deteriorated. It can be hard to get into first sometimes.
I removed my counter wieght and it made my short through shifter feel smooth and wieght less

MustangMatt77

Established Member
My little square bushing has pretty much deteriorated. It can be hard to get into first sometimes.
I removed my counter wieght and it made my short through shifter feel smooth and wieght less

I did pull the counterweight as the nylon square bushing was worn and cracked and nobody, not even the mini dealer (as it shares the mini trans) could give me a part number.

On a side note I have a lot of vibration at idle, I'm going to replace the motor mounts, just curious if anyone else had had this issue and come across something different as the cause or thought of a different fix that worked, it has 193K on it and I believe everything but the stereo and fluids was original.

Thanks!

2003SVTFreak

Established Member
Just picked up my first SVT focus, I usually hang out in the SN95 Cobra section.

It's all original except for the stereo.

I have a few questions:

1. Anyone carry a new or aftermarket exhaust heat shield for the exhaust manifold and the cat?

2. I have a lot of stick slop even when in gear. Is this a linkage issue or that little square box with a hole in the middle?
Any links or vendors for new parts?

3. ABS light and ebrake light stay on. I've checked both sensors, wiring, fuse and relay for the ABS, all good.
The thumb button on the ebrake is stuck inside the handle.
Any idea on either of these?

Thanks.
If you hear a rattle on the exhaust its cat bracket located between thr block and the cat. Its more than likely cracked cause a annoyong rattling at low rpms, nit a heat shield. The abs light is more than likely on because someone did an R&R and put the bearing in backwards. Tons of vibration means motor mounts and they are dirt cheap and easy to do. Ebay sell the set for $50-$60 for all 3. Have had mine 2 yrs and still working great. Btw congrats on the purchase they are fun cars

Inkus

Thanks to everyone in this thread! I just picked up an 03 SVTF and I had the same issues minus the ABS and gave me some easy fixes! Just needs a new clutch now and possibly the flywheel...

Users who are viewing this thread