'04 ported Eaton vs 996 Turbo

badmpg03

Established Member
Wanted to share this one :)

I was on SW Freeway in the far left lane doing 80ish mph and see a black Porsche 996 Turbo booking it on the on ramp in front of me.
My car is loud (orx/stingers) and got his attention. He starts making his way to the left lanes, he looks over, smiles, and does a fly by on me. 996 was loud, had upgraded exhaust at minimum.

Well...I casually keep up to him :). He hits some traffic and slows in his lane. My lanes open...my turn to flyby. I drop it and hit top of 3rd right as I blow past him on my right. Saw the 996 had the windows down as I passed him. With the Eaton screaming and Orx it must have been loud as f***. Felt a little bad about it actually haha
I slow and pull one lane right and he's now on my left in fast lane. He pulls up to me with a big grin on this face and gives me a thumbs up. I'm grinning ear to ear and I do the same to him. I also notice his young son in the front seat with a big smile.
Open road ahead of us- we are doing about 60, I downshift and he immediately takes the hit and jumps out on me a bumper. I'm to the floor in 3rd, nail 4th and shut down 120ish. I had about 1/2 car on him. He lost some ground on his 3rd-4th shift...but I had the feeling like I was being reeled if we kept pushing.
We both grinning again and giving each other thumbs up. Most fun I've had on the street in a while.

My car is 515whp at about 16lbs :)

slingshot

Established Member
Good kill! Just be glad the 996TT wasn't modded... with exhaust, intake and tune those things are beasts! Easy 700+ AWHP and 3500 lbs with great aerodynamics.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
He def had some things done. My dad had a silver 996 about 5 years ago and while it was fast, it wasn't a 120+mph car like a ported cobra should be. I think I got it to run ~91mph in the 1/8 before I smoked the clutch. And they lose a fair amount in between shifts because of turbo lag. That was my biggest complaint about the car. Good kill, I know that was a fun run.

badmpg03

Established Member
Yeah thought I might get smoked when I heard the exhaust! He dropped back a little on the 3rd - 4th shift and I instantly put a 1/2 car length on him. I think that was it though, I wasn't walking away.

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
So did you start in 3rd @ 60?
2nd gear works well for me w my whipple and MT ET streets. Not sure if you were on street tires though.

badmpg03

Established Member
was in 3rd ~ 60-65mph

I am on nitto's - I usually spin a little in 2nd with them. Bought the car used with a 315 nitto on a stock 17" rim - which I don't like the tire combination. In fact, I think it is awful. I have since switched the wheel/tire setup.

Users who are viewing this thread