04 cobra vs h/c gto

b_dike

Established Member
This was a couple weeks ago. I had stopped at a gas station on my way to get the cobra inspected. As I was walking out I hear this mean ass lopey idle coming from a gto sitting at the pumps. Then I see the owner, and it's someone i know. So I pull around and start talkn. He says it's an ls1 with new heads, custom comp cams, intake, full exhaust, and it should make something in the 460rwhp range.

So of coarse I have to ask, and ya he was down to race. So we head out and line up from about 40. I got the hit and jump out big, despite massive wheel spin in 2nd. Pulled even harder up top. Not sure how far out in front I was, but it wasn't close. I wasn't satisfied sinse I got such a big jump, so we kept trying. Unfortunately we never got a clean start, he couldn't hear my horn so either I left or he left first. The runs where he left first I was able to reel him back in, in 4th gear. Afterwards he said he was running out of pumps at 5800 rpm.

Either way it was fun to flog the cobra again... with some new rubber I should walk away pretty easily. On one of our races, I punched it in 2nd from about 45, and tail came around so hard I almost tagged the side of his car. Lol. Stayed in it, evened out his pull, then walked away. Too much fun... :dancenana:

OneSlowV

Established Member
Good kill! But his dyno seems happy I could see more around the low 420s rwhp side. And there is no CAMS just a cam lol.

b_dike

Established Member
Good kill! But his dyno seems happy I could see more around the low 420s rwhp side. And there is no CAMS just a cam lol.

Lol, ya I know. I just get used to typing it that way... as far as his numbers go, I'd say in ran more like a 420rwhp car than it did a 460rwhp car.

LSWONGTO

Boosted Goat
Established Member
Sounds like you had a nice kill and good time. I remember the first car to beat my cam only GTO was a 2.65 upper, 4lb lower Cobra, it was kind of close until 4th gear and it just walked away with ease. The owner was cool enough to take me for a ride in it and that's when I decided to buy a Maggie at some point.

OneSlowV

Established Member
How you like the maggie? If i still had my goat i would of went tvs since they make a unit for the GTO now.

scarlett98

Established Member
Sounds like you had a nice kill and good time. I remember the first car to beat my cam only GTO was a 2.65 upper, 4lb lower Cobra, it was kind of close until 4th gear and it just walked away with ease. The owner was cool enough to take me for a ride in it and that's when I decided to buy a Maggie at some point.

Who would run a 2.6 upper on a Eaton? Pointless and the ls2 gto is a whole other animal in comparison of the ls1 04 even with heads and cam.

Most 04s run about the same as a mach 1 or 05-10 gt.

Users who are viewing this thread