04 cobra sounds and shakes

04compking

Established Member
I'm new to the cobra world (just got my first comp orange cobra) and it shakes a little and sounds like it rattles a bit on rough roads. What could be wrong? Car has mm caster/camber plates and mm subframe connectors,2.76 pulley and 93 tune with bbk cai. Made 454/512. Has stock cut springs as well. Any ideas? car just hit 13,000 miles

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
What tire/wheel combo? Explain shakes and rattles. Interior rattle or suspension? Shakes through steering wheel or body is jittery?

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Sounds like you may need an alignment, maybe new wheels/tires and get those balanced too. I know a lot of people beat the hell out of these cars before dumping them, doing burnouts and such, and it will throw off the balance and alignment. Mine shook and rattled a bit when I first got it. Got brand new rims and tires and an alignment and the car is smooth as hell now.

Welcome to the mustang world. They all rattle.

Mine doesn't.

04compking

Established Member
What tire/wheel combo? Explain shakes and rattles. Interior rattle or suspension? Shakes through steering wheel or body is jittery?

Stock wheels, stock eagle f1 gs onthe front, nitto nto5r on rear. Sounds like suspension rattle or body. Didn't know if it had something to do with subframe connectors or not. It's fine till you hit bumps and then you feel it and hear it. Steering is tight but car is noisy. It is rough on the bumps and kinda chatters a bit. I guess I figured with only 13000 miles it shouldnt be like that. I think it shakes through the steering wheel a tad bit.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
When the springs were cut were the iso's reinstalled or left off? Make sure each spring has a top and bottom iso installed or it will sound like chiti chiti bang bang.
If there is an alignment or balance/road force/bent component it would rear its head on smooth surfaces too. Also go over all the suspension bolts when you are reinstalling those missing iso's!

SV

04compking

Established Member
When the springs were cut were the iso's reinstalled or left off? Make sure each spring has a top and bottom iso installed or it will sound like chiti chiti bang bang.
If there is an alignment or balance/road force/bent component it would rear its head on smooth surfaces too. Also go over all the suspension bolts when you are reinstalling those missing iso's!

SV
I just checked and the iso's are on. I think they did a crappy job on cutting the springs and it looks like the right rear tire is always closer to the fender and car looks lower on that side of the car. I wish i had a lift so I could get it up and go over it. Do you think the magnaflow exhaust could be touching sometimes on bumpy roads? I'm not sure if it was put on with proper clearance. Thanks

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
I have a magnaflow exhaust and it started rattling like crazy out of the blue one day. Right above the tail pipes are rods that are held into the tips themselves with tiny set screws. If the set screws work their way out the tail pipes will rattle. I noticed mine one day when I closed the driver door.

Try banging on the tailpipes right under the pumpkin or gas tank and see if you hear any noises.

SV

04compking

Established Member
I checked the springs and the iso's are there. It looks like whoever cut the spings cut the back right spring more than the others. It sits lower on the right rear. Tire is closer to fender. I guess ill have new tires put on and balanced and have a alignment done. I also want to check the exhaust for clearance and make sure it is nice and tidy. I did notice while checking the iso's the sway bar bushing has a gap at the bottom. Do they make a better sway bar or bushings?

04compking

Established Member
Sorry, didn't know my message sent. I did have a tip come loose the other day and saw the rods you are talking about. Didnt know they had set screws though. I'll check that in a minute. Thanks.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
I picked up 2 bolts from Home Depot and added a nut for each to act as a jamb nut once the bolts were tight.
I bought 2 metric and 2 standard sets and threw the set i didn't use in my hardware drawer in my tool box. I don't remember if I used the metric or standard size listed in these two threads:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/256324-magnapack-set-screw-question.html
http://forums.corral.net/forums/gt-sohc/265478-screw-size-hanger-magnaflow-tips.html

Can you take the opposite side exhaust tip screw out and take it to the hardware store?

SV

Last edited:

04compking

Established Member
Good idea. I'll take the one set screw out and take it to fastenal and get another. Thanks

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Congrats on the car also check your front tires if there original see if there cupped or dry rotted. Also it's not when you hit brakes is it? Was going to say out of round warped front rotors but looks like your onto somthing with the exhaust good luck oh post pics too.

04compking

Established Member
Thanks blksvtcobra01. It seems like it has something to do with the exhaust with the noise but it shakes at high speed a little. I'm going to change the front tires and change the cut springs to h&r and check everything else under the car. I will probably check the bushings and replace them. I can't stand tohave anything wrong with my cars or trucks.

hotcobra03

Established Member
These cars are a rough ride new...

the mods can make it feel rougher..

check out full tilt boogie racing...beefing up irs

see terminator facts and questions...this has about eveeything with pics

you can see how much more has been done

Users who are viewing this thread