04 cobra limp mode overheat issue

Mstngsidewinder

Established Member
Left work tonight, and about 3 miles down the road my 04 Cobra 34k miles went into limp mode up hill at about 25mph. Got to the top of the hill and noticed the water temp was starting to climb. Pulled into a bank parking lot and lifted the hood to see what was the cause. Coolant was dripping from the Overflow tank cap on the radiator. I could still see coolant at the bottom of the overflow tank but there was enough spilled out to be concerned. I shut it off for about 10 minutes, and then limped it back my work (dealership) in 2nd gear at 15-20 mph. about 3 miles.

Any ideas on where to look first? My initial thought was a stuck thermo stat, water pump or that the overflow tank is cracked.

side note: my store had changed the coolant about 3 weeks ago. This was the 2nd 30+ mile trip I had taken since the change. I had at least 100 miles on it since the change. Could there have still been air bubbles that could be clogging/blocking flow?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Check fan ring to see if it broke..

oring at fill plug

oil cooler to block gasket

than recently some guys are getting leaks on heatercore return line at back of water pump.

1 of my areas was corner or radiator and across top of radiator..I used barhs leak

Users who are viewing this thread