04 6r80 swap cobra

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
would you still recommend people to do this swap? Does the car feel faster than the 6 speed? I am curious how the 6R will do from a roll. Like if you loose top end compared to a stick car. Not sure if I still wnt to do this, or, do a T56 magnum. Then save up and get a used coyote 10 speed auto. Decisions lol

I would recommend the swap my car does feel faster till 3rd than its pretty much the same. I don’t think I have lost any top end pull. The trans is good till around 750-800hp stock and it’s pretty cheap to upgrade compared to other transmissions imo. I do drive my car on the street a lot so having the 6r80 is good in that aspect as well.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

stangfreak

Established Member
awesome bro. I think with these newer autos, the top end doesn't fall off I guess. do you have any videos of your car?

JohnEagle

Established Member
I got mine driving, Q6v2, OE 6R80 & TC, NA 4V w/cams. After an initial drive its better, I think the in gear brake on idle tuning needs some work due to the extra load on the motor from the auto trans in neutral and in drive. Hopefully will get to that this week.

My speedometer is not functioning. I have the Tan wire from the Q6 to PCM pin 84 green/white wire, its the OSS wire from the trans. Its set as 5v AC output. No capacitor since I have Q6 V2. Any tips?

Matt did you ever get it too idle with the extra "in gear" load?

400ss

Established Member
Any one using the Coyote copperhead PCM to gain control on 6r80e transmission? also WB sensors, etc

JohnEagle

Established Member
anyone know if my 1 7/8 arh will have any fitment issues?

I have Kooks 1 7/8 LTs and it's a tight fit going in but it went. I had to angle it up and turn it some on a transmission jack. The next issue with LT's is that the shift linkage will hit the O2 sensor. It did with the Kooks headers anyway. We installed a junk O2 and got a socket on it. Heated the header around the O2 bung. Then we pulled down on the socket a little at a time until the linkage cleared the O2.

98termiswap

Established Member
also can we clarify what to do with irs? someone mentions not to buy the ford racing driveshaft but im confused why i cant just put a sra pinion flange on my irs and use the driveshaft?

98termiswap

Established Member
also no one has really talked about how to switch gears when using a 99-04 shifter or b&m shifter, im guessing its done with buttons what are you using for that?

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Not sure exactly but I think the drive shafts are different lengths I’m using 11-14 Ford racing driveshaft I switched out yokes and am using an 03 cobra pinion flange. My car is SRA. As far as shifting I’m using a 99-04 stock shifter with a PBH shift lever and shifter stop bracket. Just put it in “D” and go. Or you can hook up one wire to your cruise control buttons and you can shift that way. Only other option is a Lokar sport shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
  • So left is the 03/04 cobra flange and right is the Ford racing 6R80 flange(which you can’t obviously use) I can sell you the 03/04 cobra flange if you want. Or you could get if off of someone else. Just letting you know.
    637F9D49-8AE3-4D76-86B5-8D4D88F0103C.jpeg

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
The 03 Cobra pinion flange is used with 1350 u joints as opposed to the 1330 u joints found on the 94-04 Mustang GT’s and I believe V6 Mustangs. Upgrading and using the 03 Cobra pinion flange and u joints is definitely the way to go since they are stronger. Same thing I did when I went SRA.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread