'04 2.8H KB Cobra dyno tune session with Ed Clark at All Aspects Motorsports...

WydOpen

Established Member
I called on the tuning services of Ed Clark and we used the dyno at All Aspects Motorsports in Chesapeake, VA. Very satisfied with the new tune. It looks like my fuel issues were resolved with the Lethal wiring upgrade. Also, Ed was able to get the idle smoothed out and now idles much smoother at about 800 rpm vice slightly erratic at about 1,100 rpm. He did admit the JLT 110mm is overkill and is drawing in a lot of air...much more than my setup needs.

Looks like I have spark blow out and I need to check the plugs and gap. Previous owner claims the car has NGK TR7ix plugs gapped at 0.032. I'll be going with Ed's recommendation to a set of Autolite Racing AR103's gapped to about 0.028-0.030.

Previous Numbers: 573 rwhp / 511 rwtq

New Numbers: 595 rwhp / 528 rwtq

Not a big jump, but a good safe and solid tune and my fuel issues have been ironed out. Still some more work and hoping to get it in to the 600's. Ed can correct me if I'm wrong, but timing was at about 17-18 degrees, boost was right at 20 lbs, and inlet air temperature was about 120 degrees.

Videos:

Video 1 - Backing it up on the rollers...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV7M2dTzxQs"]YouTube - '04 SVT Cobra Dyno Session 1 of 3[/ame]

Video 2 - First pull after dialing in the idle and just checking things out...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqRzMI3AJ8c"]YouTube - '04 SVT Cobra Dyno Session 2 of 3[/ame]

Video 3 - Final pull making 595 rwhp and 528 rwtq SAE corrected...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFzdzQKqC8"]YouTube - '04 SVT Cobra Dyno Session 3 of 3[/ame]

Pics:

Icing down the heat soaked Kenne Bell...
p7120174.jpg

Still cooling down...
p7120176.jpg

Installing A/F probe...
p7120177.jpg

Ed Clark at the wheel doing his thing...
p7120186.jpg

Dyno graph...
p7120189.jpg

03dsgsnake

Established Member
Not bad! Theres still a hell of lot more left in that badboy! I am at 680 and if run my race gas tune 750. Try a straight shot instead of fender well youll see a big diff and bring that tourque up, and also you should be at 21.5 to make this blower start to spin and 23-24 is the sweet spot on a race tune. Awesome vids though congrats and now gho for the inlet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beer:

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Nice looking car man. That thing should hit 600 easy once you get your spark plug problem ironed out. No race gas tune yet?

WydOpen

Established Member
Thanks guys, I was trying to stay under 20 lbs with 91-93 pump gas. I have a 4", 3.5", and 3.25" blower pulley...may have to buy a 3.75" pulley and swap to the JLT RAI. I also want to upgrade a few cooling mods...radiator, HE, and 160 degree thermostat. A local guy is trying to get a GB going on the Killer Chiller...really thinking hard about that mod.

No race tune yet. I may pick up a few bottles of Torco and bring two pulleys with me and see what she does next time I head to the dyno.

GeoSnake

Mustang Week Staff
Established Member
Ed knows his stuff! He tuned my cars years ago when certain other tuners couldn't even get close. Good vids and great numbers! Tell Ed I said hello.

- Aj -

Established Member
Nice car, good numbers! I agree with the straight shot intake swap, that should help a bit. Upgrading to the new inlet would make a big difference as well.

WydOpen

Established Member
if i may ask how much did the tuning cost. ed tuned my car 2 years ago... i need to get a hold of him for a new tune...

Charged me $150. He uses a flat rate regardless how long he spends on the car. I was at the shop from 1pm until just before 6pm. It was just my car on Sunday and he had software issues and my X3 wouldn't link up. I'd say about two hours total dyno time and the rest working out bugs and issues not related to my car. He had to download new drivers and firmware for my programmer. I also paid $200 to the shop for dyno time. So, $350 total to tune my car.

Oh yeah, worth every penny! :thumbsup:

grnenvy

Established Member
yup

Yup get a big straight shot filter. Also no reason for the lower I can make 23psi with just a 2.75 pulley no slip. Put the factory cage back on the car and just run a 3.25 or 3.0 pulley that will put the blower in a sweeter spot.

2001gunmetalgt

Established Member
Sweet, I need to get a new tune with my 2.76 pulley on the stock eaton. Do I just call Aspects Motorsports and schedule a tune or do they have to get ahold of Ed?

Are those the dark smoked headlights or the lighter ones (which brand and where did you get them)? Do they dim the stock headlight bulb strength?

Nino S

Established Member
nice!!! I cannot wait to get another $2500 together for a polished MPH inlet and twin 75 tb. what mods are next?

WydOpen

Established Member
Sweet, I need to get a new tune with my 2.76 pulley on the stock eaton. Do I just call Aspects Motorsports and schedule a tune or do they have to get ahold of Ed?

Are those the dark smoked headlights or the lighter ones (which brand and where did you get them)? Do they dim the stock headlight bulb strength?

All Aspects doesn't do scheduling for Ed, they just provide the dyno if he needs it to tune. I called and dealt with Ed directly, but next time I'm just going to call All Aspects sometime during the week before and ask if he'll be in on the weekend tuning. They usually know ahead of time if he'll be tuning or not. He says he has no problem fitting people in if he's already using the dyno.

Yes, they are the dark smoked headlights (darker than stock). Not sure of the brand, but I purchased off of eBay from Apex Motoring. I can't notice a difference from stock if there is one.

nice!!! I cannot wait to get another $2500 together for a polished MPH inlet and twin 75 tb. what mods are next?

Definitely cooling mods! Would like to do Fluidyne radiator and HE. Also, larger intercooler reservoir. I'm also looking at a set of Griggs upper and lower subframe connectors. Not much beyond that as I just want to start enjoying the car now that I have the bugs worked out. :beer:

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
Holy shit, that is a precarious position you were in getting it on the dyno. Thumbs Up on the numbers. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread