03 Trailer Hitch

edz

Retired.
Established Member
As I started down the road to installing a hitch on the 03 Cobra, I fully understood that no one made a factory hitch for the car. I need to haul a trailer with my track tires, tent, jack etc. and I do not have the money to buy a tow vehicle and car hauler trailer, besides that I bought the Cobra to drive. First reading everything that I could find on the subject, Thanks especially to Mike “03 Sonic Blue” for answering my questions I ordered draw tight hitch from Etrailer for a 2003 Mustang GT because they were $70 dollars cheaper than I could buy one locally. I had the guys over at Billet Design move the receiver down 1 ½ inches, because their welding came highly recommended by several folks. In rough fitting the hitch I found that the rear steel bumper is further back on the Cobra than on the GT, so I elongated the front hitch holes by ½ inch to allow me to move the hitch back so the bolt holes would be more toward the center of the steel bumper. With that done I drilled ½ inch holes in the steel bumper and “fished” the supplied bolts and keepers in through the ends of the bumper, instead of drilling additional 1 inch holes in the bumper to install them. Torqued the whole thing down to 50 ft. lbs. And am pleased with the result. I would post a picture but it looks pretty much like an 03 Cobra with a 1 ¼ receiver just below the rear fascia.

Last edited:

hmwave

Established Member
Probably looks something like this, right?

Cobra_016.jpg

hmwave

Established Member
how much weight can you tow?
id like 1 for my motorcycle.

Been a while so I don't recall exactly but I think the Cobra is rated to tow between 1000 and 1300lb. Check with a dealer to be sure.

I towed a 900lb trailer+load 200 miles each way a few years back with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread