03 stock shifter.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Is there anyone that has driven an 03 and also knows what a Steeda or Pro 5.0 feels like? Please post your opinions in a comparo. The 2k R uses a B&M shifter. I'm wondering if this is also on the 03. I'll pop mine out Saturday and check it out.

B

blown03cobra

I personall have not driven a 03' but have heard that it is the "notchiest" and best feeling shifter they have felt stock........ The most popular,, and best IMO would be the Steeda Tri Ax... I have already bought mine and its sittin here in a box just waiting for a car to put it in.

hoofbeat

Established Member
:-D yellow horse i posted some driving impressions back on the 8th.after i picked up my car one of the only things i didn,t like was the shifter a little stiff and knotchy . now have 400 miles on car and it has smoothed out and is real good now . give the car a little break in then see what youwant to change.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Hey hoofbeat, I like my shifter notchy. If you felt the stock shifter in a 99 or 01 then you would see how mushy they can be. I thought all the aftermarket shifter rave was bull till I broke down and bought a Pro 5.0 for my 99 and then I saw what people were talking about. That's the main reason people buy aftermarket. That and positive stops. I hope it doesn't smooth out too much :thumbsup: Congrats on your 03.

svt03

Established Member
I have 168 miles on my 2003 i am getting my steda shifter installed monday.

edz

Retired.
Established Member
Notchy is OK, my problem with it is the long throw, plus it feels as though it does not have stops on the shifter and am worried about the shift rails in the tranny when I decide to get rough with it.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I heard the next issue of MM&FF has an article on replacing the shifter. They installed a Pro5.0 and claimed a tremendous difference. (And then they refer you to their next issue for details!) The problem I have heard about the Triax is the handles break. Anyone here have that problem? I also understand their pretty good heat conductors. ;-)

SikSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by Black2001Cobra
I heard the next issue of MM&FF has an article on replacing the shifter. They installed a Pro5.0 and claimed a tremendous difference. (And then they refer you to their next issue for details!) The problem I have heard about the Triax is the handles break. Anyone here have that problem? I also understand their pretty good heat conductors. ;-)

My buddy with a 96 vortech Cobra, has a tri-ax and he was taking my brother for a drive in it and came back with a broken handle. I have a Tri-ax handle on my pro 5.0 because I like the shorter (and Adjustable) handle, but i have the new version of the handle. I believe the new one is billet where the old ones weren't.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Thanks SikSnake. I'll have to double check w/ the parts guy because I thought he told me the handle on the Pro5.0 was shorter?

SikSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by Black2001Cobra
Thanks SikSnake. I'll have to double check w/ the parts guy because I thought he told me the handle on the Pro5.0 was shorter?

I have my Triax at the lowest possible setting, almost too low it scrunch the shift boot alot.

superduty

Established Member
Yellowhorse, my 03 doesn't feel that bad, but no hard shifts yet. I went to the Temec t-56 site and they advised that if putting in an aftermarket shifter, to adjust the shifter bolt stops all the way off and not to use them. I don't know if this is bs or not, as I am not a transmission expert on built in stops in the trans. Otherwise, no problems so far with the 03.

Silver 03 Cobra

Hey superduty. I changed my name to Silver03Snake today. I've been out for two days. I see you finally got your 03. When did you get it and give me some impressions.

Congrats :beer:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by superduty
Yellowhorse, my 03 doesn't feel that bad, but no hard shifts yet. I went to the Temec t-56 site and they advised that if putting in an aftermarket shifter, to adjust the shifter bolt stops all the way off and not to use them. I don't know if this is bs or not, as I am not a transmission expert on built in stops in the trans. Otherwise, no problems so far with the 03.

That sounds damn strange, superduty! (To adjust the stops all the way out.) Can you post the link where you found this info? I tried TTC's site, but did not find this info. Thanks. :??:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Some of the early Tri-ax handles were prone to breaking. Steeda uses several suppliers, and some are steel, others aluminum (I have one of each). Steeda now specifies forged aluminum, and claims breakage is a thing of the past.

I have a titanium and aluminum knobs, and suggest wrapping the handle threads with PTFE tape prior to screwing on the knob. It makes a snugger fit, and helps insulate the knob. I also sourced some very thin (1/16") adhesive backed silicone rubber from McMaster-Carr, punched some holes in it, and attached it between the handle and the shifter. It helps de-couple the heat and vibration, without making it feel squishy.

I personally think notchy shifters are bad, and that is usually a term in the mags of disapproval.

silvercoffin

Established Member
03 cobra`

The shifter is great! I had the tri ax in my 01 gt and when I first test drove my 03 I noticed right away how smooth it was compared to my GT when it was stock, but it went right into gear. No hesitation or bumping around like my gt had been since it was new.

I am not going to change the shifter at all. Im trying not to change anything! Well maybe the cobra emblem in the front and I ordered cobra mats cause it didnt come with em.

superduty

Established Member
Black 2001, like I said I am no transmission man, but to to Tremec site and go to faq, and then to aftermarket shifter, and there it says to adjust the stops out. If this is different or something for somebody who is more knowledgeable, please let me know. Thanks. The only thing about my 03 is the clunking when I take off. Everybody, let me know if yours does this clunking on easy take offs from a stop. Thanks again. IT feels as if the driveshaft has play in it.:rolling:

silvercoffin

Established Member
ive heard it is normal

I have a clunk when letting the clutch out i think its when i am letting the clutch out seems like if i am real careful I can get it to not clunk..

I havent asked cobra owners about this, but a friend of mine who has a vette showed me the video tape that came with his car. It describes the clunk to be normal with that type of trans or any heavy duty/racing trans. I am not sure about the tech info behind it, but he said its perfectly normal.

If he says its normal for the vette I am assuming its normal for the now superior COBRA....(he doesnt have a z06)

and by the way.......I had no problem keeping up with a vette on the way home from the dealer.

Zinc-Zag

Established Member
If you are worried about breaking your Tri-Axe as I did, then spend a few bucks and get this.

I have the "original" that does not do all this and I love it.

MGW and it's owners are GREAT! I had a problem with another product and the owner sent out a 2nd with nothing more than a "virtual" handshake.

I HIGHLY recomend MGW and I am sure wou will not be let down (or ever have your shifter break).

BTW, hello to all! This is my fist post here... thought I would check it out and catch up on some SVT info. I have a 2003 Sonic Blue '03 on order.

/tg

Last edited:

svt03

Established Member
I put my steeda shifter on my 2003 cobra today and it feels great this is one of the best things I could have done and I recommend that all cobra owners do it. The throw is so much shorter the shifter seems like it is connected to my mind and knows what I want to do.:) :) :) :) ;-)

B

blown03cobra

where did you buy it from, also can i have a link and or part number,,, did you adjust the shift stops? i dont see why you shouldent like it "supposedly" sais but i guess we will see

Users who are viewing this thread