03 rundown.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I picked up my 03 coupe yesterday. For starters, mine had the “Not For Sale” sticker in the driver’s side window and no price next to MSRP on the window sticker. I was real disappointed when I saw the sticker. One salesman told me I wouldn’t be driving that car off the lot today. I went to the sales manager because my salesman was tied up and he said Ford was waiting on federal approval on something. They called Ford and SVT and they gave them approval to sell. I drove it off the lot about 3 hours later. Ford is Fed Ex’ing all the paperwork including the window sticker. My front valence was damaged while unloading. I saw one report of this on another board. The lower part of the front bumper is rubber and it was slightly marred. My dealer ordered me another one. It was no big deal. I’ve read this may be a problem and you should check the corners on each side for damage when you pick up the car.

I owned a ’99 Cobra and juts sold my 01 vert to get this 03. Here are a few things I noticed in comparison. The new hood and front bumper cover are A1 in my opinion. They are super sharp. I also like the rear spoiler. It gives the car a sleeper look. The blacked out lower portion doesn’t look that good. I like the 01 rear bumper cover better.

There are baffles in the tailpipes. They neck the rear exhaust down to about 1.75 inches in diameter and are surrounded by fiber. The car is very quiet. It’s way more so than the 01. There were also a lot of necked down areas on the tail pipes and very rough bends. I guess this is how Ford held the power back as rumored. I ordered a catted Bassani x/p five weeks ago and also ordered the o/r tubes. I put it on last night and it really freed up the motor. It is fast as hell. It is also loud as hell. I put my catted segments on this morning and it sounds ten times better than stock.

The shifter is almost as good as a Steeda shifter. Please no flames. I had a Pro 5.0 and Steeda on each of my other Cobra and the new ‘03 shifter is very good. It’s not worth the money to buy a Steeda T-56 shifter. The stock shifter is very notchy and precise. It’s way better than any previous Ford shifter.

The seats are about the same as the 01 except the driver’s side will firm up a lot around the waist and ribs with the power bolsters. It gives you a better feel that you are planted in the seat instead of the sliding around feeling. There is a map pouch above the rear view mirror that is pretty nice.

I pulled off the blower pulley cover for looks. There is a separate belt for the pulley. There is a bracket mounted in front of the crank pulley that houses the blower pulley and it is connected to the crank by a rotary coupling. The blower belt also drives the power steering pump. I guess someone may make a set of U/D’s for the 03 since they won’t affect the blower. The car has plenty of power. I haven’t really nailed it yet but it feels very strong especially with the o/r pipe. I ran it last night and it was a little cool outside and that thing is one fast sum beach. I put the cats back on this morning and they knocked it down a little this morning but it was a lot hotter outside. The car will peg 10 psi pretty easily.

The car does not handle as well as the mags reviews stated. I pushes pretty bad. My 01 with KB springs handled better than this car. The car is not as low as the pic’s. looked. The front valence is lower than the 01 and it makes the 03 look lower than it actually is. I think the new rocker panels also contribute to this. It could use a set of lowering springs. The ride is very smooth.

I think it could also use a set of 4.10’s and not because a lack of power. First gear is geared way to high. I pulled over 35 mph without really getting on it. I really haven’t looked at the tach versus shift points yet. When you are doing 60 mph it tachs about 1800 rpm.

My salesman let me drive the car before any paperwork was drawn. I was a little surprised. The car had 38 miles on it when I cranked it up. That mad me a little mad. When I changed out the exhaust last night there were a lot of rubber pellets stuck to the bottom of the rear end from someone burning my tires. I’m sure this wasn’t picked up off the road. I didn’t tell them I was mad about it. There is nothing I could do about it but walk away. They know they can sell the car to anyone. I had a yellow vert with a lot of mods. It got too much attention. I didn’t get near the looks in the 03 when I was driving it around that I got in my vert. My salesman said that most people don’t know what an ‘03 Cobra is. As far as looks, the vert was a lot better looking car. As far as power, there is no comparison. My friend drove my car today so I could listen to the exhaust and the 03 coupe is a sharp looking ride. The wheels look real good going down the road and the catted Bassani sounds really good. At least it’s not loud enough to attract cops from a block away. I think the car is worth the money if nothing but the power alone. I probably could have been just as happy with my 01 vert. It put 305 at the wheels and it would probably hang with the 03 thorough first gear. After that it would be adios. You will not be disappointed in any way shape or form.

:beer:

B

blown03cobra

Thanks so much for the post,,, I have also ordered performance parts etc. and I am hoping I am as pleased with my exhaust and setup as you are with yours. I am rather hesitant having all this stuff put on though, it would be my luck that there would be some type or recall or something goes wrong with my car.... I got the extended warranty for an extra grand so I dont know what im going to do........ I really want to do it, but then I want to think about warranty and such :shrug:

B

blown03cobra

Im thinking about just going to Houston performance and getting my subframes and strut tower braces put on and wait on any other mods for a good couple thousand miles

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
YH, Thanks for a great informative post! I have been waiting on this car since I placed my order in early February. I am pumped and your commentary only makes me more excited. What color did you get? I have a Min Grey Vert due at the end of June. How about some pics of your new car. My intent is to keep it stock for a while except for KB subs and a seat extender kit. I'm 6'2" and need some more leg room

B

blown03cobra

LOL, which set of KB's are you going with??? I dont wanna get to fancy down there so that when I do go with exhaust its not in the way or anything... keep in mine ive owned an LS1 for 4 years and dont know much about my own exhaust or what it looks like :loser:

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Hey, you are welcome. I was afraid some would think I was boasting. I like to help people out. I have been trying to get exhaust info from day one. I gambled and ordered the 01 hoping it would fit. On the Bassani, one muffler has a pipe that is about 6 inches longer than the other side. I got them crossed up and when I put the tail pipe on it stuck out about 6 inches back of the car. I freaked out. I was really relieved when I saw what I had done. An after market exhaust is really the number one mod on this car. If you never heard a Bassani x/p and catback on a 4v, you are in for a treat. I can live with the 3.55's gears. 4.10's would make this car super fast.

I'll try to tak some pic's. tomorrow. My Cobra is a silver coupe.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Blown 03. I am going with the Kenny Brown extreme matrix brace subs. I had a set of subs on my 89GT and they really helped. That was a hatchback. I'll bet they are necessary on a vert. Especially with 390HP on tap.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Great post Yellow Horse. Thanks for all the info. Do you feel the throws of the stock shifter are as short as the Pro 5.0 or Triax? Also, do you know if the stock shifter has positive stops? (I was going to go with a Pro 5.0, so your feedback is very welcomed.) I am also going with KB SFCs as one of the first orders of business.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Black2001, I'm not sure. I'd have to pull the cover. A Steeda is not worth the money over this shifter IMO. Shifters only have a shorter throw because they have a shorter handle. I'd recommend buying a Steeda handle. If you've driven a car with the Pro 5.o or Steeda, you'll be impressed with the stock shifter. As far as I know, Pro 5.0 doesn't have a T-56. I may be wrong though. I knwo Steeda does. I'd asy wait and test yours out before you buy.

skstang

Established Member
Hey Yellowhorse, Any comments on how the new dash looks at night? Different than the 01's? I had a 98 Cobra that had what I believe they called the electrolumenescent? Didnt like it. It was uneven.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Yellow Horse
Black2001, I'm not sure. I'd have to pull the cover. A Steeda is not worth the money over this shifter IMO. Shifters only have a shorter throw because they have a shorter handle. I'd recommend buying a Steeda handle. If you've driven a car with the Pro 5.o or Steeda, you'll be impressed with the stock shifter. As far as I know, Pro 5.0 doesn't have a T-56. I may be wrong though. I knwo Steeda does. I'd asy wait and test yours out before you buy.

Thanks again, Yellow. I've driven a Cobra w/ a Triax and was really impressed. But the parts guy I talked to recommended the Pro 5.0 over the Triax. (They do make one for the T56.) I wanted something with positive stops and the short throws. Decisions decisions! Anyways, contrats! Glad you're enjoying the new ride!

B

blown03cobra

Originally posted by OH3Cobra
Blown 03. I am going with the Kenny Brown extreme matrix brace subs. I had a set of subs on my 89GT and they really helped. That was a hatchback. I'll bet they are necessary on a vert. Especially with 390HP on tap.

do they weld in??? and if so, will it hinder exhaust installation?,, hell I might as well wait a month or so till I REALLY get sick of it being sick and forget about my warranty and just install the headers, h pipe, catback, and the subframes and just wait to install the chip and pulley until they have been put on others cars and tested.... hell, by the time i get my car (the 20th) im sure people will have allready installed the stuff,,, Id like to just go out and trust JDM and what they did with their car but when its YOUR money its a different issue....... I might just go all out on the car and install everything and just be easy on her (im not much of a track kinda guy) i just race if someone wants to so Im not really on it that much that the extra 4 pounds of boost would really hurt me,,,,, what do yall thinik

El Culebra

Established Member
As far as modifying your exhaust and your warranty I when I took my 01 to the dealer for service I told them any problem with my exhaust like a Engine Light that's due to a a mod from the muffler please disregard it will not void your warranty. Don't be affraid my man the sound alone will be the envy of all Corrvette and Beammer dudes!! I love to see the beammer dudes start to droll M5 or M3 my a$&! :rollseyes

Yellow Horse

Established Member
skstang, the dash lights are neat. The whole face of the gauge is back lit so now it looks at night how it looks in the day time.

Ktee's Stang

SVT Poster
Established Member
Hi all,
I'm an extreme "green-horn" to posting on forums so I want to apologize in advance for any goofs I make. I'd appreciate any help I can get w/corrections.

Just want to congratulate Yellow Horse on his new baby:rolling: I'm really happy for you. I've learned a bunch just from reading your posts.:read:

Users who are viewing this thread