03 in Italy, got a few questions!

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
My terminator just arrived in Italy yesterday, finally got is insured ($478 per MONTH) and got the cute little EU plates on her, pic's to come. My question, and possibly a forwarning to anyone else thinking about bring their car here, what am I supposed to do about gas? They only sell 3 types of fuel here, diesel, bio-diesel, and petrol (regular gas). Well, not exactly regular gas lol. Rumor has it that the petrol here isn't well regulated and the merchants will water it down to stretch a profit making the octane rating of the fuel anywhere from 75-85. As we all know this will not bode well with boost in the picture. I filled up with 40 litres, about 10 gallons, and used an octane booster and I'm taking it easy on the throttle for now, but how am I supposed to keep this up for 3 years? What happens when I run into a ferrari/lambo on these lawless roads? Help!

GhostRiderblk

GhostRider
Established Member
My terminator just arrived in Italy yesterday, finally got is insured ($478 per MONTH) and got the cute little EU plates on her, pic's to come. My question, and possibly a forwarning to anyone else thinking about bring their car here, what am I supposed to do about gas? They only sell 3 types of fuel here, diesel, bio-diesel, and petrol (regular gas). Well, not exactly regular gas lol. Rumor has it that the petrol here isn't well regulated and the merchants will water it down to stretch a profit making the octane rating of the fuel anywhere from 75-85. As we all know this will not bode well with boost in the picture. I filled up with 40 litres, about 10 gallons, and used an octane booster and I'm taking it easy on the throttle for now, but how am I supposed to keep this up for 3 years? What happens when I run into a ferrari/lambo on these lawless roads? Help!

478 per month ouch!!!! im doing reserpine as we speak on these gases and where they come from

red9450

Established Member
ummm... where do the individuals with the italian supercars get their fuel? go to the same place?

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
I haven't seen any "supercars" anywhere near my area. Not even as far north as Roma or Florence. There really isn't that kind of money until Milano where all the fashion and business is at. But as far as fuel, I'm not even sure that ferrari's and the like even require higher octane fuel, from my understanding the only need for higher octane was to withstand higher compression, and without forced induction i don't car's absolutely requiring higher octane, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't noticed a change in idle of sound since using the new fuel, but i don't want to get into the boost and throw a rod, etc.

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
Italy has the highest rates for insuring american cars. Take a drive down to Naples and you'll see why. As far as the fuel now I'm even more confused. Now people are saying that the pump gas is 95-98 octane and I'll be fine. Who knows lol

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
Italy has the highest rates for insuring american cars. Take a drive down to Naples and you'll see why. As far as the fuel now I'm even more confused. Now people are saying that the pump gas is 95-98 octane and I'll be fine. Who knows lol

Euro 98 octane equals about 93 USA octane

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
I'm in Naples, or the Italians call it Napoli. About a 2 hour ride south from Rome. The people here are crazy, and the entire country complains about them when we travel. If you're at a stoplight, IF they stopped at the light, and the guy behind you wants to go, he won't use the horn, he'll just hit you. I've seen people ram their cars through a car and a tree to make an illegal right turn lol. They're crazy here. Car's are strictly for transportation, and they drive them into the ground and buy a new one when it dies.

04RiceEater

Established Member
Insurance rates in Europe are very expensive, being from England I got my first car at 18. A 1.1 litre and the insurance was about 4,000 pounds a year or about $7k! Oh and there would be no way I would ever be able to insurance a V8 unless I had like 50k to spend on insurance, most companies will just laugh at you. Hows the gas prices there BTW? I know in England right now its about $8 a gallon!

Users who are viewing this thread