03 Exhaust help

nsreed

Established Member
:??:
Ok everybody, I need your help on this. Like a bunch of you, I too am awaiting my 03 Cobra in June?????? (Zinc Yellow Coupe)

I am a bit upset that Ford is putting the old style exhaust on them. And totally pissed about the chrome wheels. But DO understand why they are doing the exhaust.
I'm buying this thing because of the engine. I want it to have all the potential possible and will change the exhaust as soon as I get it. MY QUESTION IS, I don't have a clue of what to put on it. I see you all talking about the FR500 but know nothing about it, who makes it etc. Can you please give me some ideas of great systems and who sells and installs them in Michigan or general area. ALSO ideas on computer chip mods this car would enjoy having!
Can't wait!
Thanks
Ned

Last edited:

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
What we are talking about is an exhaust system made by Ford's Racing Division part number FR500... They are kind of expensive but I believe that they are stainless steel.

The cool thing is that the mufflers have a pressure activated by pass built in so they are quieter when tooling around town or idling than when you get the revs up...

Also for the GT it is a bolt on thing...

We are not all sure that it will fit around our '03 tranny and undercarige.

I am sure that very soon after we start to get cars that someone will find out and let us all know.

... peace

CbrCpe

Established Member
ummmm.....I've had the Fr500 exhaust on my '99 for about a year, now....It was designed for the 99+ IRS Cobras...won't fit GT as previous post implied. The catback bolts on to the x or h pipe, so the 03 T-56 will not present a problem.

The Fr500 catback is marketed by Ford Racing(FRRP), and is built by ArvinMentor, the same co. that supplies the Cobra oem exhaust system.

2 1/2" mandrel bent stainless steel w/ variable bp valving and an acoustic 'X' section just behind the differential.

Good luck with your 03, it should be a great machine.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
Thank you very much for not slamming my ignorance and also for your enlightenment.

It is most refreshing to see someone post a reply on a Message Board using good manners and be also helpful and informative.

Cudo's to you sir... Your mother would be proud.

Hopefully, others on this board will follow suit.

Let me say that having come over from a Pontiac Grand Prix board that lets hope this is a sign that we have a higher class of folks here.

;-)

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Vintage, I can only tell you that a Bassani X/P and catback is hard to beat as far as sound goes. I have not heard the FR500. I read in MM&FF that there is some fitment issues. Bassani fits like a glove. I called SVT and asked them if 01 aftermarket will fit and they said they were checking on it. I will not buy until I'm sure they will fit. I was going to put headers on mine but after I read the 5.0 article about the open header dyno on the 03 putting 400 rwhp I'm going with a Bassani O/R x/p and catback. That should put this car over 450 at the crank.

01 Cobra is sold.

fangstang

Established Member
Do you guys have any sound files on either setup? I'd really like to hear the bassani setup even though I'm leaning toward the FR500.

fangstang

Established Member
You really think it'll sound that different from my 2001? If so, I'd still like to know what they sound like

Yellow Horse

Established Member
They say it's quiter than a stock 01. But, the exhaust is corked up. There are sightings from a dyno shop in NJ that has the 03 at 380 rwhp and picked up 20 with the air box removed. My guess is it was 360 at the rollers and then picked up the additional 20 if it had the stock full exhaust on it.

Black Cobra

Established Member
There are sightings from a dyno shop in NJ that has the 03 at 380 rwhp and picked up 20 with the air box removed. My guess is it was 360 at the rollers and then picked up the additional 20 if it had the stock full exhaust on it.

In the 5.0 Magazine releases notes on 03 - Thread it was said that it put out 360rwHP with with exhaust and 400rwHP without the exhaust.

I won't believe anything until I can see scanned time slips and Dyno sheets. Won't be long, before we all know the real deal.

Users who are viewing this thread