'03 Cobra vs EVO IX MR

SSMOKE-U

Super Petrosexual
Established Member
I figured I'd post this even though it happened some time ago... It was the last race I had that was somewhat close.

Cobra:
Intake, exhaust, upper, weak tune

EVO IX:
Intake, exhaust, FP RED, and various other little things. Evo made about 420whp and 370wtq and runs 11.50's with 6-speed.

Fortunately for me we were going from about a 60-70 roll. as soon as we hit it, i pulled so his bumper was at my quarter, next gear i put about a car b/w us, then i let out. He was having problems because he had a fresh tune on the car and the guy that tuned it lowered his fuel cutoff from 7500ish down to around 6800. Since the EVO was on a fresh tune, my buddy didn't realize the cutoff was that low until he hit it twice.

Now that he knew where his cutoff was we line them up again and hit it, ending with similar results, I just didn't pull quite as far in front of him.

I was not expecting to pull ahead of him let alone open a gap as I did. Like I said, my car had a weak tune at the time. Was only making about 415whp, not sure of tq.

He has since purchased a new turbo, which is a better street/pump gas turbo and I have since done a good tune. The rematch should be fun.

Last edited:

03svtzak

Established Member
good kill. I got an evo 8 that wants to race me, for some reason. my buddy already tore him back in is 03 cobra. All he's got over me is an cool air intake.

SSMOKE-U

Super Petrosexual
Established Member
good kill. I got an evo 8 that wants to race me, for some reason. my buddy already tore him back in is 03 cobra. All he's got over me is an cool air intake.

I say go for it, the EVO VIII's were not as stout as the IX's and if all this guy has is a CAI, then it's game over for him.

On a side note, I have the utmost respect for the EVO. They are fantastic cars and are capable of doing things that seem to defy the laws of physics. They are quick in straight line and deadly in the corners.

slverstang

Established Member
nice kill for sure but it does sound a bit off. I just raced my buddy in his evo 9 MR and it was pretty close. He is on a stock turbo, cams, full exhaust, intake, AMS tune, 23-24psi. I am sitting at 463 and he is at 405-410 and i only got him by maybe a full car at the most up to 120 from a 50 roll.

Edit:
Just saw u said he had a cut off at 6800 RPMS. Those cars are ment for high RPM. I can see you given him the run you did but with more power on your part. FP Red cars run hard... good kill!

Sil80sx

Established Member
But even at 420whp he's easily a 120mph car and your a 115-118mph car? Did he not have traction with awd :shrug: Its not being simple, I'm just doing the math.

fordvicious32v

Established Member
Yeah that would make a huge difference if he's only able to rev 6800, I am an ex 03 cobra owner and now own a evo viii rs. My car with cams and full bolt ons on e85 (stock turbo) will out run a pullied full exhaust cobra. Now granted that's at 30 psi. Fp red and black cars run fast, I am upgrading to a 35r but fp cars are no joke either, there is lots of variables that come into play, sounds like he was also on low boost. Did he brake boost on you? Either way nice kill.

SSMOKE-U

Super Petrosexual
Established Member
Yeah that would make a huge difference if he's only able to rev 6800, I am an ex 03 cobra owner and now own a evo viii rs. My car with cams and full bolt ons on e85 (stock turbo) will out run a pullied full exhaust cobra. Now granted that's at 30 psi. Fp red and black cars run fast, I am upgrading to a 35r but fp cars are no joke either, there is lots of variables that come into play, sounds like he was also on low boost. Did he brake boost on you? Either way nice kill.

he did not brake boost and I believe he was only running 27-28 lbs.

03svtzak

Established Member
I say go for it, the EVO VIII's were not as stout as the IX's and if all this guy has is a CAI, then it's game over for him.

On a side note, I have the utmost respect for the EVO. They are fantastic cars and are capable of doing things that seem to defy the laws of physics. They are quick in straight line and deadly in the corners.

I got respect for Evo's i love em, i had a eclipse gsx(i know its no evo) that was running 13's(not bad) but around corners, i pulled some g's in that car around corners.

This is a link to her. :)
MySpace

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member

uuuhhhh +1 on that. i have a IX and i still wouldnt go up against a terminator without exhaust and more boost. :nono: that EVO VIII owner is getting too cocky. you need to put him in his place. :read:

SSMOKE-U

Super Petrosexual
Established Member
But even at 420whp he's easily a 120mph car and your a 115-118mph car? Did he not have traction with awd :shrug: Its not being simple, I'm just doing the math.

He went a best of 11.51 @ 119 on 25 lbs. The combination of him having too low of a cutoff and probably 100 ft/lbs less tq makes a big difference.

03snakeminated

Established Member
uuuhhhh +1 on that. i have a IX and i still wouldnt go up against a terminator without exhaust and more boost. :nono: that EVO VIII owner is getting too cocky. you need to put him in his place. :read:

Give you props for seen things in a non-biased way..:rockon:

Last edited:

rb185afm

Established Member
Why in the hell would his tuner set an FP turbo to cut off in the 6k range. My turbo pics up 100 hp from 6200 to 7800. That is just dumb. These little engines need the rpm's to make up for the small displacement.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member

Yeah, 120mph starting from a stop. When you go from a rolling start you change the equation for both cars. You would be surprised just how much difference it can make if one car gets to start in it's sweet spot and another has to start out of theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread