03 Cobra vs. 98 Camaro Z28

SurferSVT

V
Established Member
First real race since I sold my 02 Lightning and bought a 03 Cobra...

I pulled out into the slow lane of a local highway just as a 98 Camaro was passing. He slows way down to 30-35mph as I'm accelerating, down shifts and takes off. I was already in 2nd gear, so I just floored it. He had a fender on me at the jump, but I reeled him in pretty quickly and put a little over a car length on him before we hit traffic (between 90-100mph).

We spoke briefly, said he had 420hp to the wheels and normally beat stock 03/04 Cobras. I have a 2.8 pulley (with belt slip) and Magnaflow catback exhaust.

It was a great race, both the other driver and his passenger were really cool.

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Whats a pullied / exhaust only Cobra making? (I know its a jump..just cant remember how much.... 430/440rwhp??)

Good Kill. :)

Last edited:

MikeW

Established Member
S8ER95Z said:
Whats a pullied / exhaust only Cobra making? (I know its a jump..just cant remember how much.... 430/440rwhp??)

Good Kill. :)

450 or less since he does not have a big filter. What is the stock gear in the 98 Z? Maybe gearing had a play n this :shrug:

Darth Invader

Is Your Dad
Established Member
Nice kill. If he was making 420, he was probably a cam-only car. When my last car was cam only it was a good race between me and lightly modded terminators.

SurferSVT

V
Established Member
I bought the car with the mods it has, I only got a tune for it be sure nothing breaks. CAI is my next mod along with idlers.

I doubt he was in first gear, seeing as how we were doing 30+ but I could be wrong.

I probably would have beat him by a little more if I hadn't missed 3rd for a second due to my stock shifter.

ASSASSIN

03 "DSG" Cobra
Established Member
Good kill I had the same outcome when I raced a cam only Transam Ram-Air but i was pushing 470 to the wheel at the time. Either way good race and get a tune and a filter and you will see a big difference.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
With stock gearing M6..he should have been able to tag 1st at that speed but I doubt it would have helped...I spin like crazy at that speed in 1st....

craz1469

So Slow
Established Member
I can run up to about 55 in 1st...I don't spin if I'm on concrete. 6 speed 3.42, cam good to 6800.

Users who are viewing this thread