'03 COBRA TRACK TIMES

1qwkpny

Established Member
to dave

:bash:
The fact that the engine is hand-built is exactly what I was referring to. Almost everyone that knows anything about the 4.6-4v engine can tell you that. No, I am not a salesman but I do work at ford. I was just lucky to be really good friends w/the head SVT salesman and he took me with as his assistant in training. The 2-3 grand statement I made was intended for stuff like gears, exhaust, cai (which buy removing the a.i. silencer you do gain btw 7-10hp even on the cobra, plus it's free hp). OH and what I said was with that "you would never have to watch your back." Frankly I'm pretty f@#king sure I already know were I'm at and why we are all here I just wanted to share my experience. So for those of you "know it alls" that took offense to the times I reported or doubt them well then just wait and see for yourself. I admitt I was skeptical at first, but seeing is believing so is driving one for that matter. One comment I totally agree with is it definately does matter who is driving b/c just like when we read something in a magazine in my opinion anyone who doesn't have the ability to drive a late model Cobra deep into the 13's should have a job or even be allowed to run a demo/comparison test on any kind of vehicle. I say this because I am routinely disappointed in several of the major mags out there. I'm no pro driver or anything but I have been drag racing(driving) since '92 and grew up helping my dad drag race his '68 Shelby GT-500 (which he regretably sold in '89, but we still have movies/picture/memories). You could definately say that I am Ford through and through, but I do appreciate competition b/c without it where would we be????

Last edited:

fangstang

Established Member
For all you guys talkin shit about whether or not 1QWKPNY is telling the truth or not you guys werent there, HE WAS!!! If you dont believe him, fine, thats your problem, not his!!!!! I personnaly believe him. He was there, thats it, end of discussion!!!!:mj: :bash:

SVTNICK

Established Member
hey.1qwkpny ....how was the build quality of the one you drove anyway? ANy of the usual squeaks from the right rear? For 2003 is Ford still sticking to the standard mustang rear lights, unlike the ones we have on our 01 with the orange turn signal. Im just curious. I was at a sneak pick to the NYC New Car show a few weeks ago and was disappointed with that and the rims. Just curious what you saw on the test drive.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Since we are talking times...

My '01 Cobra... with K&N and Borla Cat Back... runs 13.3's @ 105+ at Firebird...

My '01 Z-06 last ran.. with also... just K&N and Borla Mufflers... 12.3 @ 114+...

My '00 Corvette Ran 12.8's @ 110+...

the list goes on... I think you can see I get the most out of my cars... and I don't doubt the new cobra will run mid 12's! HELL I AM ORDERING ONE!!! BUT... I am sorry... that you take offense to being told you are on dope if you think it can hang on the Road Course... and yes... running 13's in a Z-06 fine... I believe you... BUT>... 101 MPH??? WHATEVER... I don't care if your GRANDMA drove the car... MPH... is HP... even she could have bested 110 MPH!!

Anyways... in my opinion... you are just another child trying to compare a 35K Grocery Getter.. to a 50K World Class Sportscar... they are in different leagues... and so they should be!

The Cobra is King of the Pony Cars again! I am very VERY Proud of Ford, and the Cobra... but this Cobra vs Vette thing is OLD! All you are talking about is Cobra Drivers... vs. Vette Drivers... if you put the same level of Drivers in both cars... the Vette will win... BIG DEAL!

The cobra is still sweet! Did you have any idea to look underneat the cobra and see if it had the convertible Subframes on the Coupe? I would like to know this.

Thanks!

Dave

1qwkpny

Established Member
Well the build quality was great I didn't notice any of the little creeks from the rear end at all. I meant to check out the new cross brace on the rear but I never really thought about it when I was there so I can't answer on if there were sub-frame connectors or not. I'm gonna have to look at the pics I took to tell ya about the tail lights. Oh and I was just comparing the snake to what was there. Would rather I went on about the SVT Focus which did manage to eeeeeeekkkk out a slight advantage at the strip vs. the Integra R ????? Focus went 15.50's @98mph vs. the integra's 15.80's @ 94mph. I didn't get to drive the focus much at all. I would say that handling is the Focus's strong point. Hell like I said b4 I'm the lucky one and the rest of you will unfortunately just have to wait. Oh, but it is worth it. I believe that SVT has done an excellent job and I can't wait for the reincarnation of the future Snake........

'Nuff said about this you'll just have to wait and see.

SVTNICK

Established Member
ANd by the way dave, Ford is indeed going after Chevy and the Corvette with the future incarnations of the Cobra. THe current model isnt designed with that purpose I agree..but they do have their sites lined up on the Vette in the future...

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
Please induge my 2 cents on this matter if you will:

Yes I would have rather had a 911,

No I don't have $68,000

Yes I love to go fast and Yes I prefer road racing to drag racing.

Yes I would rather have a Lotus Elise,

No I don't have $55,000

Yes my 914-6 GT is fast and small, but I also need a daily driver car.

No my Grand Prix GTP is not fast enough (and the top doesnt go down)

Yes there are better cars that could beat me at Mid Ohio and at Putnam Park but can I afford to buy one.... no.

What is the all out best car I can afford? the 2003 Mustang Cobra

And I am very greatful that God has blessed me with the ability to have one of those... A lot of 37 year old guys with 3 little kids, a mortgage and a 914-6 GT wouldn't be able to get one.

Especially in this economy...

Just my two cents....

When was the last time you sat down and made a list of everything your were greatful for?

Now try doing it leaving material things off?

When you get done, ask yourself, how do I feel now?

Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread