03 cobra spoiler removal?

Willis85

Established Member
Digging up an old thread, but does anyone have any insight on this? I need to pull mine off to do a little clean up and part of the "double sided tape" is starting to fall from under the spoiler.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Just remove all the attaching hardware, I can't remember how many nuts there are. I want to say 6 or 8. Once those are removed, it is just double sided tape.

The first time I removed it, I used fishing line across the length of the spoiler to break up the tape as much as a I could. Then I placed a towel on the decklid and used the plastic interior removal tools to pry up against the soft towel evenly across. Just take your time.

If I have to take it off again, I will not be using a lot of tape. Rather I'll be using thin foam to seal all around it.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Fishing line didn’t work for me. Maybe i had the wrong stuff. Ended up using a pressure washer. It was a PAIN!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Fishing line and a hair dryer to heat/soften the tape is what most have done. Some recommend just yanking/pulling one side of the spoiler at a time, but it nerve wracking to do that I would think.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I haven’t pulled mine off my Terminator, but I did pull both of my son’s Mustang GT spoilers off to swap them for other spoilers. I tried lite fishing line at first. It kept breaking. I then got heavy duty line and wore some leather gloves. It worked like a champ sawing through the tape. I then used a combination of Aircraft Emblem and Adhesive Remover and a rubber erasure wheel on my drill. I sprayed the remover into a cup and brushed it on. It does a great job of releasing the tape/glue. The rubber wheel cleans up any residue.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Goose, I was going to recommend heavy duty fishing line to help with breakage. Thanks for adding that.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is an excellent thread explaining exactly how to remove the spoiler. Be sure to read @Black Gold 380R's last post in that thread. He gives exact and easy to follow instructions for those concerned about the double-sided tape.

Hell, I'll just quote him below.

Here are my points based on this thread:

1. You do NOT need to remove the trunk lock.
2. You do NOT need to drill out any rivets.
3. The PDF posted is pretty much how it's done.

After the bolts are removed and the third brake light connector is disconnected and the third brake light itself is removed (I removed my third brake light to keep it from getting damaged); the spoiler is still attached by double sided stick tape AND a couple of plastic push clips. You will need to apply pressure in the form of an outward motion to release the double side stick tape and to "pop" off the plastic push clips.

The push pins are on the third brake light side of the spoiler and pushed in to the deck lid.

Take your time and go slow. However, it does take effort to remove it once the bolts and third brake light are out.

Hope this helps.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks, i was also curious about where exactly the double-sided tape is so I know what to expect. Looks like its where i circled in yellow and the push-pins are circled in orange.
E387C5D8-8B05-4F5D-8C7A-6413F7C8C00A.jpeg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Thanks, i was also curious about where exactly the double-sided tape is so I know what to expect. Looks like its where i circled in yellow and the push-pins are circled in orange.
View attachment 1635152
The orange circles are correct for the push pins. The double sided tape actually goes all around the outside of the spoiler. The yellow is actually showing where the double sided tape is missing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
That is an excellent thread explaining exactly how to remove the spoiler. Be sure to read @Black Gold 380R's last post in that thread. He gives exact and easy to follow instructions for those concerned about the double-sided tape.

Hell, I'll just quote him below.

Here are my points based on this thread:

1. You do NOT need to remove the trunk lock.
2. You do NOT need to drill out any rivets.
3. The PDF posted is pretty much how it's done.

After the bolts are removed and the third brake light connector is disconnected and the third brake light itself is removed (I removed my third brake light to keep it from getting damaged); the spoiler is still attached by double sided stick tape AND a couple of plastic push clips. You will need to apply pressure in the form of an outward motion to release the double side stick tape and to "pop" off the plastic push clips.

The push pins are on the third brake light side of the spoiler and pushed in to the deck lid.

Take your time and go slow. However, it does take effort to remove it once the bolts and third brake light are out.

Hope this helps.
Thank you Bob! You're too kind as always my friend.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread