03 Cobra spark plug blowout

Shamwoww88

Established Member
So just like most if the others I found via google. I had one blow out on the highway of course at the beginning of my long drive for my transfer down to VA. Didn't know what had happened, I was just cruising at about 70mph heard a pop and saw smoke. I limped it a mile to a shop, who pulled it in and looked at it. Made a repair and swapped plugs that made it driveable so that I could get it home. Planning on trying the time-sert kit to make a more permanent fix for the time being since the car is my DD, but the kit I'm looking at doesn't come with inserts. Does anyone have input on which to use, looks like they're brass/copper or steel. Not sure what people have been using. Pics to follow. Thanks for any guidance or input ahead of time.

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Ugh, sorry to hear that man...I had the same thing happen. I ended up Timeserting it with the head on the car. I was just very careful and i globbed some thick grease in between the flutes of the tap. The grease will collect most of the metal chips. The Timesert itself is aluminum.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I did this several years ago and posted a writeup with pics. I used "Lock-n-Stitch" with an aluminum insert. Best of luck with it.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Happened on my 98 too. Blew the driver's side hood scoop clear off the car.

Last edited:

Shamwoww88

Established Member
Thanks guys! I'm gonna take a look for the aluminum inserts today so I can get this process rolling. Thanks for the input fellas. Worst case I guess I'll be pulling a head and taking it to the machine shop. I am in the market for another set of heads as well anyway. I just need her to last a few more months. Wifey tried to tell me to think about selling it yesterday and buying a "regular" car. Lol
7DD976F4-97C9-4404-8B82-8B91A43838D6.jpeg

Shamwoww88

Established Member
This is the kit I'm going to go withScreenshot_20181215-084905_Samsung Internet.jpg , since I'm not feeling confident about the inserts that come with this kit.
Screenshot_20181215-084918_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Shamwoww88

Established Member
New update, got the kit on order I finally settled on that came to the best deal with inserts, the thread locker and taps/insert installer for 244 shipped. I replaced the other 7 plugs, no issues found there. Also from the plug blowing out, it melted my coil as well so that will be getting replaced as well once I finish the spark plug repair.
Screenshot_20181217-140225_Samsung Internet.jpg

Shamwoww88

Established Member
Did you get it gift wrapped?:rolleyes:
Lol probably should have this is coming out of paint job/restore money. As long as I can straighten this out I'll get back on track for upgrades( I've got one sitting in the garage and some to open for Christmas) and projects. I did open this side project early though lol
DXT_YE_Product.png

Shamwoww88

Established Member
Last update, got it all straightened out today. Hard to see but here's a shot of the insert. Kit worked beautifully. And I used a 1/4 ratchet and extension just to make the reach easier and be easy on the torque. Put in all new plugs but needed a new coil for that cylinder since original was melted from the plug blowout.
20181222_145100.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread