03 Cobra smoking on start up

Shamwoww88

Established Member
Hey guys fairly new to the site, just been lurking around since I started shopping for a terminator about a year and a half ago. Brief history on the car, I stumbled upon one that needed some work right before my last deployment. Wasn't really the color I was looking for but I got it for 13k with 67,000 miles on it. Stock except for 2.93 pulley, intake, Pypes catback and I added a UPR off road x-pipe and did some suspension work. Pretty sure the guy was a weekend racer but nothing too crazy he was pretty honest about his weekend endeavors lol. I had the car for about a month, did some quick checks and tune up in the time I had and the car ran and still runs great, I've put about thousand miles on it so far.
So my issue is:
I have been noticing a small cloud of white/blue smoke during initial start up.(only start up and only after the car sits for a bit after a full warm up).
I haven't had a chance to compression test and leak down test it just because of my work schedule and this being my daily driver for the time being. And now I'll be moving twice in the next 4 months! So she is going to have to hold on until the second move atleast.
I'm hoping the issue is going to be the valve seals, but I'm preparing for the worst. Anyone had this issue and found more damage then just valve seals? Any cobra owners in the Chesapeake, VA area with reccomendations on a good shop to get some head work done and/or machine shop for the bottom end?

Also I was reading about head interchangeability: mach1 and aviator heads are the same as ours? I may see if I can snag a set of those for build up.

Thanks ahead of time

jony51999

Established Member
Hey guys fairly new to the site, just been lurking around since I started shopping for a terminator about a year and a half ago. Brief history on the car, I stumbled upon one that needed some work right before my last deployment. Wasn't really the color I was looking for but I got it for 13k with 67,000 miles on it. Stock except for 2.93 pulley, intake, Pypes catback and I added a UPR off road x-pipe and did some suspension work. Pretty sure the guy was a weekend racer but nothing too crazy he was pretty honest about his weekend endeavors lol. I had the car for about a month, did some quick checks and tune up in the time I had and the car ran and still runs great, I've put about thousand miles on it so far.
So my issue is:
I have been noticing a small cloud of white/blue smoke during initial start up.(only start up and only after the car sits for a bit after a full warm up).
I haven't had a chance to compression test and leak down test it just because of my work schedule and this being my daily driver for the time being. And now I'll be moving twice in the next 4 months! So she is going to have to hold on until the second move atleast.
I'm hoping the issue is going to be the valve seals, but I'm preparing for the worst. Anyone had this issue and found more damage then just valve seals? Any cobra owners in the Chesapeake, VA area with reccomendations on a good shop to get some head work done and/or machine shop for the bottom end?

Also I was reading about head interchangeability: mach1 and aviator heads are the same as ours? I may see if I can snag a set of those for build up.

Thanks ahead of time

I would recommend the compression test. If you uncover a couple low cylinders use a teaspoon of oil and recheck. If it goes up it’s likely rings.

Without any other symptoms if the compression test is good then you could just be looking at valve seals.

These are quick things you can do, cylinders 7/8 (driver side rear cylinders) are most notable for issues so you can start on that side.

Another inexpensive option if you find a low cylinder is grabbing a bore scope off amazon for $20. You can then see if it has any cylinder wall damage to confirm your low compression results before pulling out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
This is a very common place occurence, especially with lower mile cars , sitting more than being driven.
You can change valve guide seals in the car., without pulling the heads .
^^ what he said. Mine smokes once in awhile at random start ups. I’m not worried about it. 30k mile car.

Modestoe3

Established Member
Mine does the same but I’ve owned for over a year and it still drives fine I’ve also noticed it on every cobra exhaust video on you tube they seem to blow smoke when turned on

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I remember mine did occasionally on start-up it as well, when it only had about 8K on the clock. Common.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Something else to check out is the possibility of a leaky injector. I had one that wasn't closing fully and would drop some unburnt fuel.

Best way I found this out was pulling the plugs and one was much darker and smelled like fuel.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
The PCV system can introduce oil vapor into the intake. When it sits, it can accumulate and it burns off when you fire the car up. The other comments are spot in as well. As long as the compression test is good, no worries. If it isnt a continuous smoking while driving deal, no worries.

Shamwoww88

Established Member
I would recommend the compression test. If you uncover a couple low cylinders use a teaspoon of oil and recheck. If it goes up it’s likely rings.
Without any other symptoms if the compression test is good then you could just be looking at valve seals.

These are quick things you can do, cylinders 7/8 (driver side rear cylinders) are most notable for issues so you can start on that side.

Another inexpensive option if you find a low cylinder is grabbing a bore scope off amazon for $20. You can then see if it has any cylinder wall damage to confirm your low compression results before pulling out.

Yea I think I might go ahead against my desire to not dig into the car much while I'm away from my family, but I think I'll try and sneak into the hobby shop one day and do the compression test. And I'll bore scope then as well.

jony51999

Established Member
Yea I think I might go ahead against my desire to not dig into the car much while I'm away from my family, but I think I'll try and sneak into the hobby shop one day and do the compression test. And I'll bore scope then as well.

Yeah not a bad idea, but from some of these other responses from some very knowledgeable long term owners it sounds like you should be ok.

I forgot to mention the PCV info noted above too....that’s something I encountered after my new build...talk about going from worried to relief.

On the other hand it never hurts to check stuff out especially those 2 cylinders (7/8).

Shamwoww88

Established Member
Yea right now it has a breather on the pcv, I'm not really fond of. But I'm going to switch to a catch can setup. Soon as well. Mods, mods, mods wifey is going to hate this car lol
Thanks again for all the comments and feedback I appreciate it.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I notice it most when I just pull the car out/in of the garage to clean it or something and not let it warm up. When you restart it is when you can see some blue out of the pipes. It never does after it been and got up to normal temps. Original owner BTW.

Shamwoww88

Established Member
I notice it most when I just pull the car out/in of the garage to clean it or something and not let it warm up. When you restart it is when you can see some blue out of the pipes. It never does after it been and got up to normal temps. Original owner BTW.
Its usually initial start up after its been sitting for the night. But it also does it when I've driven somewhere for lunch and come back out after to head back to work. So I don't really think it's a temp thing. I only live about 5 to 10 minutes from base depending on how backed up the gates are, but I always try to let it warm up before I stop somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread