• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

03 Cobra radiator info please

Discussion in 'Engine/Tuning' started by 01cobravortech, Nov 5, 2005.

1. 01cobravortech

01cobravortech Banned

Hey whats up fellas. I'm an 01 owner here. Can any of you guys explain to me how the 03 radiator is better than the 01 radiator? I noticed that its a 2 core like the 01 and you guys have the same electric fan as our car. I would like to know if it truly is better at cooling since I'm getting ready to replace my radiator with 90k miles.

Oh by the way, is there any radiator out there that is considered significantly better than the 03?

2. CY98Cobra

CY98Cobra New Member Established Member

The 03 Cobra radiator is a 2 core aluminum unit. It is better than the pre 03's.

I would imagine most aftermarket radiators are better than any stock piece.

3. 01cobravortech

01cobravortech Banned

The 01s are also a 2 core. So what's the technological improvement? That was my original question.

4. ShelbyGuy

ShelbyGuy Steers With the Throttle Established Member

Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
    magic beans

5. 01cobravortech

01cobravortech Banned

Thanks for all the help. I see that unless its a pulley question, you guys on the 03 threads are of no help.

6. JPIStang

JPIStang Stay Classy San Diego! Established Member

Buy an aftermarket one and do it right the first time.

7. 01cobravortech

01cobravortech Banned

screw aftermarket. www.buyfordracing.com sells the 03 radiator for $295. If its good enough for supercharging, it has to be as good as any aftermarket piece out there. I'm not paying over $400 for a radiator.

8. Mike K

Mike K مسافر عالمي Established Member

:lol: :beer: no, then they would just tell you to do a search :D

Sorry, i am not familiair with the differences between the pre 03 radiators and the current radiators BUT i know fluidyne and LFP both make 3 core radiators if you really want to upgrade. I am wondering if the 03 radiator will fit in the pre-03 cars, i would assume they would because of the same chassis. have you gone into the new edge section to ask the question?

-Mike

9. 01cobravortech

01cobravortech Banned

Thanks dude. I've used the search tool but I keep getting an error. I think the search broads "03 radiator" are just too broad. The New Edge guys have their thumb up their ass. They've been no help at all. I just like knowing what makes one part better than the other. I haven't been able to find any info anywhere that explains the engineering improvements with the 03 radiator. I'm just one of those need to know guys. :read:

10. Mike K

you can try and pm jimmysidecar (i think that is how his screen name is spelled), he seems to know alot about ford parts, i even think he is/was a parts manager at a ford dealer :shrug: something to look into.

11. JPIStang

JPIStang Stay Classy San Diego! Established Member

I don't have any idea dude. I went from a '00 GT to an '04 Cobra and radiators were not something I have ever been concerned about.

Although I know with this heaton a 3 core radiator might be a good idea-a little extra insurance. I would think you'd be able to find a used one fairly easily, but upgrading the heat exchangers seems to be the only thing everyone is doing and I haven't really seen any '03-'04 stock radiators coming up in the for sale forums.

12. 01cobravortech

01cobravortech Banned

Thanks dude :beer: I've read some of his posts and he seems to be a source of good info.

13. Mike K

14. ShelbyGuy

ShelbyGuy Steers With the Throttle Established Member

Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
    you can probably pick up an 03/04 radiator pretty cheap used since thats the first part we remove in order to aid cooling.

just because you dont like the right answer to your question doesnt invalidate the answer at all. go pound sand if you dont like it here.

fluidyne is the radiator of choice for those who are actually trying to cool the car.

the cooling system for these cars is generally regarded as hopelessly inadequate.

15. JB

JB beautiful loser Established Member

on an 03/04 Cobra rad, the core tubes are internally dimpled which increases the surface area

16. VirtualSVT

VirtualSVT lolololololololololol Established Member

Thumb up our asses?

Right dick.

Just go back to the corral and get over it.

17. 01cobravortech

01cobravortech Banned

Thanks bro, now thats a heck of a radiator. I'm calling them on Monday. Would you happen to know if there extensive modifications needed on an 01? Thanks for the help, I appreciate.

18. CY98Cobra

CY98Cobra New Member Established Member

If you hold a pre 03 radiator up to the 03 unit you will see the difference. The 03 unit is twice as thick. It is also aluminum, which dissipates heat quicker. It is a direct bolt in for other Cobra's. It would be a good cheap upgrade for your car.

You can find them on ebay for fairly cheap. I remember reading about someone that got there's for like $200. Side by side pics http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145752&highlight=radiator

19. 01cobravortech

01cobravortech Banned

Thanks for all the reply fellas. I've fallen in love with the 03/04 race radiator from Lightning Performance. Its only $370 and its just what I've been looking for.

20. blackvenom77

blackvenom77 killer cobra Established Member

Me too, one of my next mods!! :beer: