03 Cobra out of commission, please help

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
Ok, so a few months ago I had Ford replace my OEM battery because it wouldnt hold a charge. Now today, I start the car to go to the grocery store, and about 30 seconds into the drive the raio goes out. Then about 20 seconds later, the ABS light comes on. I am not confused. I throw it in neutral, the car runs fine, put it back in gear and give it throttle, it hesitates, the SC whines like nobody's business, and i don't go anywhere. Now the gauges go out, and the theft light pops up. Still idling, and I can slip it into gear, and slightly give it gas, and she doesn't like it, but we move. slowly. It's almost as if the car is off, but if i give it gas she hesitates, lurches, and gives me a little forward momentum. Still no battery light. We limp home, and I take these videos. . .

YouTube - TheDesertShaman's Channel

YouTube - TheDesertShaman's Channel

Alternator? Battery? PLEASE HELP!

mec03svt

SomethingVeryTechnical
Established Member
Thats what I'm fearing. . .

which part? the altenator or the vacuum? i know the alternator can be a bitch and a half to replace sometimes but id pick it over vacuum issues or whatever is going on. but its probably something electric cause the gauges dont work. does the boost gauge work with what little boost you have?

Last edited:

ofcrmoe

Established Member
battery, fords have this issue where all these lights come on and has no power. its like limp mode. get a new battery and you will be fine. If it was the alternator your battery light would have came on.

the first thing it does is kill the radio to save battery life.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
But I just swapped the batter out not even 2 months ago? Why would it be bad already?

Because your alternator was failing (or ready to fail) when you put in new battery....

ALWAYS load test both alt & bat when you are having voltage issues, as each one has the ability to take out the other

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
If you have the hands of a six year old girl. The connection on the Alt are a pain to get off.

I'm 6'7 and I can assure you that my hands are pretty good sized. I agree
that it's a fairly easy job. It shouldn't take any more than 45mins to an hour...
and that's on the slow side.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
its your alternator. (just as most have said)

i've replaced mine twice so far. both times was IDENTICAL to what you described. and its the ONLY time iver ever seen my ABS light come on. and the radio cut off for that matter.

lgonz051

Established Member
for me it was the harness that had a short which screwed up my altrnator and detroyed like 3 cells in my battery.

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
Ok, so now here's the next question. Since my battery was installed from ford I have a 10 year warranty on it ;-), but which alternator should I go with? I hear really good things about StartNCharge, but I got with jamie and apparently his shop burnt down, so he'll be out of the game until fall. So do I go with OEM?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
ok, so now here's the next question. Since my battery was installed from ford i have a 10 year warranty on it ;-), but which alternator should i go with? I hear really good things about startncharge, but i got with jamie and apparently his shop burnt down, so he'll be out of the game until fall. So do i go with oem?

YES, go with OEM if you can't wait for a Start N Charge.

Although you will probably get a remanufactured from Ford, it will still be your best bet.
Tousley has good pricing!

I was really sorry to see that happen to a great guy like Jamie... :(

Last edited:

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
I know, I hear great things. Now I'm kickin myself in the butt because I wanted to get one earlier when I was having battery issues, but I decide to wait ;-(

Users who are viewing this thread