03' COBRA DENSECHARGER CUSTOMER FOLLOW-UP

JP DEMOLET

Established Member
I'm getting a lot of feedback on the new 03' system and wanted to follow up with everyone on a few aspects.

I was leary of using the stock airbox hole for mounting the cover plate as it eliminates some of the flexability with the initial system installation and future mods.

A couple of customers have related that the cover plate hole hasn't lined up perfectly.
Please let me know should your's be off.

With the past 100mm systems I preferred the flexability of independantly mounting the cover plate as there are a few considerations which affect this:
1. How you have the pipes oriented in the inner fender will affect the cover plate location slightly.
2. Some aftermarket meters are slightly longer (I.E...Pro-M 87mm) and future upgrades have simply intailed relocating the cover plate to accomodate this.
3. Having the filter fit perfectly in both tuning positions also affects the pipe orientation and consequently the cover plate.

But a lot of guys haven't liked the required drilling into the fender area which initiated the new plate design. As with the past models you'll probably find extra non-functioning holes in this area anyway.

I'm sending out an "old style mount" cover plate to anyone who should run into a problem. It's of course Carbon Fiber. Or check if the pipe "tilt" is causing this. All my systems are "taylored" for each motor application and I won't trade an easier fit if it means using a smaller diameter pipe. Flow and performance come first!

Another feedback question regards "idle irregularity".

The gasket you received does come in a little on the meter face but shouldn't cause any irregularity.
With the removal of the factory screen, which is for debris only, you'll still pick up more performance with this gasket.
DO NOT TRIM IT!
This was done on the R&D 03' and the idle was adversly affected. It was back to normal with a replacement gasket.

Apparantly Ford is aware of the idle irregularity as I received a call yesterday inquiring as to whether my system would help stabilize this. The Ford tech rep also related to the R&D 03' owner that the idle was more irregular on the 03's than the previous models when it was checked at the dealership.

As with most Mustangs I've owned, things get dialed-in for "better or worse" with break-in.
With adding mods right out of the shute this will add more variables that may or may not be related to adjustment issues.
I ran into this on the 01's with none of the problems ending up related to the system. (stalling, detonation, factory fail safe A/F enrichment at top RPM)

I backed out the sensor-safe permatex with the 03' system as most past 100mm customers related never using it with the current meter gasket.
Should anyone want the extra sealing here available with the permatex I can forward them a tube.
Don't use it as a gasket replacement as there is very little "meat" at the flange/meter conjunction and this is why I have the current gasket a little bigger than smaller. You could use the permatex as a backup film on the gasket itself.

The permatex I use is not the adhesive and will separate later but be aware that the stuff is "tough" and this also facilitated using the gasket with the 100mm system introduction. There have been no gasket related problems on any of the past 100mm systems and with the 90mm meter custom systems.

Let me know whatever you guys need or notice in need of improvement. You can only make them as perfect as possible and then get them into service and see what needs adjustment.

I would be more than happy to trade someone a system for a complete new set of directions!!
I will update the directions in the meantime and can always be reached through the shop # or via email for tech questions.
I simply added the 03' install bulletin with the backlog of orders in the meantime with the time constraints.

I replaced all the coolant hoses on my Mustang the other day. It was much harder than a CAI installation and there were of course NO DIRECTIONS. I replaced the starter and carb on my boat and were there directions? Of course not. I would not have attempted either of these installations if I were a novice.

Let me know if someone wants to do the trade deal for directions which I can simply copy! Better photos would also be welcome. My wife kids me that I'm like Tim Allen becuase when I finish installing something I'll then look for the directions to see If I really needed to use the extra parts in my hand!!

Thanks for all the orders and the feedback to help make the system perfect.
Or as close as I can get it!!

Last edited:

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Any dyno graphs showing increases from this system? Any track runs? Any third parties showing numbers?

I want as much info as I can get my hands on before I do this type of mod. Especially if some people are having idle probs.

Thanks!

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
JP DEMOLET

I just ordered my Densecharger from you the other day. If you'd like I'd be more than happy to author an installation manual with pics when I install mine. I'll send it to you in whatever format you want, Word Doc, HTML, you name it. Just let me know...

U.M.

2003snake

Established Member
I would love to do the same!! (Trade deal)

Thanks,

Jason

(we spoke the other day, I'm in Virginia)

2003snake

Established Member
I'll even do one for a 2002 GT, which my buddy already has and will probably do today or tommorow, please let me know.

Jason

JP DEMOLET

Established Member
I hadn't seen that review. Thanks!

I'm anxious to see some dyno/track numbers also. I'll see if Dr. Jamie gives me the ok to release that info should he relate it to me before the published results.

Believe it or not even those included directions took most of a weekend to do.
You guys decide which will do the directions or I'll pick a number between one and ten and whoever is closer gets the trade deal.
I'll see if my web guy can upload them to the site also.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by JP DEMOLET
You guys decide which will do the directions or I'll pick a number between one and ten and whoever is closer gets the trade deal.

Oh great! You're going to let US DECIDE who's going to do it? When did you want these instructions again? LOL!

How 'bout we just do it and send them in. Then you can decide which set of instructions is best for the job!

I do have a number between 1 and 10 that I'm thinking of though....ah the amazing Carmac... :-D

U.M.

JP DEMOLET

Established Member
I guess I should have known better to offer that deal on a forum!

What's wrong with picking a number?

I don't want anyone doing a bunch of work and not receiving a barter system so I'll go back and update them. My computer/photo talents are novice and it was just an idea.

Last edited:

A's Cobra

Established Member
sounds like if you just stick to making top quality parts that work, and provide the most gains, support for you instructions is abundant. We wouldn't hold that against you. We'd rathter have you spending time with a flow bench and dyno than writing instructions on installing a cai.

Users who are viewing this thread