'03 Cobra Chrome Rim Issue

mtor9477

Established Member
Does anyone know the deal with the 'once' optional chrome rims for the Cobra? All I found out before I purchased my Cobra was that there was a manufacturing defect in the chrome rims. The dealers mentioned something about a 'recall' program when the 'new' chrome rims are made. Any info on this would be great!

raiders03

Banned
There was a hold up on the rims at SVT. I heard nothing about the rims being defective only that they were not available from the manufacturer untill the end of this year. SVT will send your dealer the chrome rims when they are ready and they will swap them out with the ones already on your car for 1,500 dollars. I got some 18x9 chrome aftermarket rims with better rubber for cheaper after I sold my old rims. Just a thought.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Originally posted by raiders03
There was a hold up on the rims at SVT. I heard nothing about the rims being defective only that they were not available from the manufacturer untill the end of this year. SVT will send your dealer the chrome rims when they are ready and they will swap them out with the ones already on your car for 1,500 dollars. I got some 18x9 chrome aftermarket rims with better rubber for cheaper after I sold my old rims. Just a thought.

The swap out is not going to cost that much... I believe it will be 650 plus 250 for the old cores.

:uh oh:

stan03

Established Member
Cobra Chrome wheels

As an SVT dealer we were told that they would be made available to our customers for the same price as on the window sticker option..which I believe was $695.
I had a recent hard drive failure and it will take me a bit to find the info but I will update if this is not correct

FL Cobra03

Established Member
I had heard from my dealer that the original chrome rims were showing signs of being pitted. Something about the brake dust from the new composition of the rear break pads. So Ford had to go and find another supplier or have the orginal manufacturer coat it with something different.

Not sure how good the info is. But it makes sence with all of the brake dust that the rear wheels put out.

darkhorse

Established Member
I also heard the chromes were going to be about $695 plus a swap for the stock rims. Not bad at all. The chrome option ran $619. That would be better.

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
If you have your car ordered with the chrome rims......cancel the option and your car will be built right away. I was told by an inside source from SVT that it may be as late as Febuary 03 before the rims will be available.

dianes03pony

Established Member
I called the VOPC this week and talked to a REAL LIVE person. He told me that the chrome rims would be available in November. My order is on hold because of these rims. So I did ask him if I could still cancel them off and he said yes. Of course, my dealer originally told me that it was too late. Can't wait to confront them with this info!!! :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread