03 cobra bad numbers (stumped)

mark23svt

Established Member
So guys tuner decided last minute to charge me 1k over expected even though we confirmed everything 2 weeks ago. So I asked him to figure out better why it’s losing boost and check everything correctly because we swapped so much. I understand he needs to move on to next vehicle but if I’m paying over price I want the car ready and done. Not sure if it’s wrong of me but I ain’t paying for another dyno/tune if I wasn’t happy with the first one. He said he’s going to check for leaks (even better) swap out the tensioner since I took 2 diff ones and check belt. He also says he wants to re burp the system since it’s cold out he wasn’t the happiest with the coolant temp.

mark23svt

Established Member
Wish I can post the dyno runs so you guys can take a look. Just at work and not good at tech stuff lol.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds like they billed you for unanticipated but necessary additional services tied to the tune/dyno. That's a hefty upcharge. At least they're working with you to dig a bit deeper into issues. Hopefully they won't spring another upcharge on you for any additional time. You should confirm with the shop that they aren't going to charge you more for what they're going to check/do. It's always smart to get this stuff in writing, or at least get a paper trail going with texts.

cobracide

Established Member
This is way beyond a tune - so expect additional charges. Don't burn the bridge yet. At least until you can get the dyno info we need out of him.

"So I asked him to figure out better why it’s losing boost and check everything correctly because we swapped so much. I understand he needs to move on to next vehicle but if I’m paying over price I want the car ready and done. Not sure if it’s wrong of me but I ain’t paying for another dyno/tune if I wasn’t happy with the first one. He said he’s going to check for leaks (even better) swap out the tensioner since I took 2 diff ones and check belt. He also says he wants to re burp the system since it’s cold out he wasn’t the happiest with the coolant temp."

mark23svt

Established Member
Yeah that’s true let me get the files abs make sure he doesn’t charge me extra for checking the car because I don’t feel I should pay extra if I’m not satisfied with what happened on the first tunes.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Check the bypass is closing all the way.

My bypass was getting caught up on the fuel rail fitting and bleeding off 6 psi of boost. I was down almost 150 hp from previous runs.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
$1k over? At that point, I would get my car, fix it myself and have someone else tune it. This is why shops get a bad wrap. I get they have to make money but when you agree to a price, stick to it. Good luck but ain’t no way he would touching my car after all that. Maybe we aren’t getting the whole story, there are always two sides but seeing the numbers, something isn’t right….all seems fishy AF to me.

LS WUT

Established Member
I’m unsure man, I’m with @2003RedfireVert.. it’s no different than if I were to go out to dinner and the waiter tells me the list of drinks, yet doesn’t tell me it’s not free refills on a specific drink etc. I think he should have mentioned up front, swapping idlers, burping and such is obviously an additional charge. Which to be fair should be, however should still give a heads up. What if you didn’t budget the $1k for him swapping a pulley, and such? Then what, this would turn into more bafoonery? From the picture I’m gathering communication isn’t the most ideal on this particular aspect. Sometimes we can get overwhelmed with customers asking questions and such, however it’s also their job to have the knowledge to answer the questions asked regarding their work. I agree with @cobracide don't burn the bridge until you’ve covered all bases. I’d have him try and sort out the issues unless you feel he is incapable at this time. I’d also be asking for a break down of cost for the work done, etc. @CobraBob is correct, always have things in writing from the owner or worker doing the job at hand. Makes things like this a little easier to manage.

mark23svt

Established Member
I’m unsure man, I’m with @2003RedfireVert.. it’s no different than if I were to go out to dinner and the waiter tells me the list of drinks, yet doesn’t tell me it’s not free refills on a specific drink etc. I think he should have mentioned up front, swapping idlers, burping and such is obviously an additional charge. Which to be fair should be, however should still give a heads up. What if you didn’t budget the $1k for him swapping a pulley, and such? Then what, this would turn into more bafoonery? From the picture I’m gathering communication isn’t the most ideal on this particular aspect. Sometimes we can get overwhelmed with customers asking questions and such, however it’s also their job to have the knowledge to answer the questions asked regarding their work. I agree with @cobracide don't burn the bridge until you’ve covered all bases. I’d have him try and sort out the issues unless you feel he is incapable at this time. I’d also be asking for a break down of cost for the work done, etc. @CobraBob is correct, always have things in writing from the owner or worker doing the job at hand. Makes things like this a little easier to manage.
Honestly I have all the texts we had covered everything (swaps and parts). Only thing I said would come out more was like coolant and supplies that might break or what not. And to get honest I would be so bummed about the 1k if the car was were it’s needed to be. Quick update he said he was going to send me the tunes but also he said he is going to try and see if the idler makes a diff or maybe the belt. But to me it sounds like my car is out of the shop and it’s done with, so I’m picking it up Sat. Things could be worse so I’m going to just bring the car back and hopefully send you guys the emails and figure this out. Just so glad car is working just a bit bummed it’s not were I had thought it would have been for all the money spent.

LS WUT

Established Member
Honestly I have all the texts we had covered everything (swaps and parts). Only thing I said would come out more was like coolant and supplies that might break or what not. And to get honest I would be so bummed about the 1k if the car was were it’s needed to be. Quick update he said he was going to send me the tunes but also he said he is going to try and see if the idler makes a diff or maybe the belt. But to me it sounds like my car is out of the shop and it’s done with, so I’m picking it up Sat. Things could be worse so I’m going to just bring the car back and hopefully send you guys the emails and figure this out. Just so glad car is working just a bit bummed it’s not were I had thought it would have been for all the money spent.
Sorry to hear this brother, some tuners get overwhelmed and would rather produce quantity over quality. I’ve had my share of those down here. I hope he gets it squared away for you otherwise I’d say hit up @04sleeper I’ve heard nothing but raving reviews about his revisions and such.

mark23svt

Established Member
Check the bypass is closing all the way.

My bypass was getting caught up on the fuel rail fitting and bleeding off 6 psi of boost. I was down almost 150 hp from previous runs.
Man I need to check that, he said bypass was fine but you never know.

mark23svt

Established Member
Sorry to hear this brother, some tuners get overwhelmed and would rather produce quantity over quality. I’ve had my share of those down here. I hope he gets it squared away for you otherwise I’d say hit up @04sleeper I’ve heard nothing but raving reviews about his revisions and such.
Hey bro thanks for the kind words and yeah man I thought he was going to look at it but I texted him today that if he found anything new since I’m going for the car tomorrow and he just said he didn’t get to it. So I’m going for the car if he really wanted to he would have checked it after the tune where something obviously wasn’t right.

mark23svt

Established Member
Hey guys so update I guess he felt bad and went to the shop. He said he tried a smaller belt and 184BF68F-5424-4720-8118-58B3D19CBAA8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread