03/04 Mach 1 heads versus 03/04 cobra heads

homer302

Banned
So to expand the thread a bit (hopefully not to test anyone's patience).
Heads, valve covers cams the same.
Block is obviously different. I think the Cobra iron block is unique in fact due to being notched for big rods.
Is the front cover different for the blower dress?
Does a manual Mach have the same crank? I know the auto doesn't.
Any of the cooling system the same or is the Cobra larger?

Thanks

scotmach

Established Member
Cobra block is cast iron but not "notched for big rods". Mach1 block is aluminum and every bit as strong as a Cobra block but weighs probably 70-80 lbs. less. I use a Teksid block that's aluminum from a Lincoln Mark VIII. The front dress is totally different including timing covers. I run the 03-04 Cobra front dress along with a Whipple for an 03-04 Cobra. Basically an Eaton swap minus the Eaton. The 5-speed Mach's have the same exact forged cranks. The cooling system is different but I know they do share the same radiators. I had them both side by side and they were exactly the same.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
Cobra block is cast iron but not "notched for big rods".

The 03 Cobra block is essentailly a 2v block that has been CNC clearenced/notched for the center counterweights on the Cobra crank (the cast crank does not have the counterweights)

homer302

Banned
The 03 Cobra block is essentailly a 2v block that has been CNC clearenced/notched for the center counterweights on the Cobra crank (the cast crank does not have the counterweights)

yep, it is notched to clear something. I know you can't just take a GT block and stick 03-04 Cobra internals in it. You can take a GT block and clearance it some and it will work just fine.

The aluminum block is 70 lbs lighter. Then add the blower, intercooler etc its significantly heavier then a Mach engine I am sure.

However after driving both.........the extra 100 horespower more than makes up for it.....:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread