03/04 irs diff cover leak

gadway41

Established Member
Regarding my 03 cobra which came with the Irs suspension. Here the question and it's a doozy? These cars have a common problem with the rear diff. cover, it can and does brake under certain high load conditions resulting from the high torque. The cover is mounted to part of the IRS so it see's a ton of load and unloading torque resulting in complete failure of cover. There are 2 remedies which mustang owners use including myself which is a brace which mounts over the cover and mount to the same mounting point as the OEM cover. The second is a new diff cover made by LPW which is twice as strong so the bracket is not required. So what is my problem? Rear diff cover leakage, the cover will still squirm on it's mating diff surface, so the Gray permatex that is use will sooner or later fail and it will start to leak. I've thought of pinning cover to diff, but I don't want any cracked castings. What idea's or proven practices do you have for me.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
You need to "plant the rear"so it dosent move around.IRS bushings,control arm bushings & diff bushings.subframe conectors also help

Users who are viewing this thread