03 04 Cobra Veterans Please Post!!!

SonicBlast281

Established Member
Hello everyone. Been on here for a couple years now. Bought my car from the marketplace on here. Feel like this may be common knowledge but can't really find anything on it. I have the two breather setup on my car's valve covers. Has been like that since I bought it. I have noticed saw amounts of oil coming out of the breathers from time to time. My guess is it's from blow by. It's not a lot but enough to piss me off, because it gets on the plug covers at times. Is this normal for these to do, with the two breathers? I have seen that most like to run a catch can on the right and a breather or pre filter on the left. Not sure it matters or not, but I will post it. My setup is a common one. Have a 2.3 vmp with a 2.8 pulley, stock lower and jlt high boost intake. I believe I have kooks 1/5/8 long tube headers with a catless x pipe and magnaflow exhaust. Car was just tuned and put down good numbers on the dyno. Car also has just 20k miles on it currently. Thank you all in advance.
20170620_133233.jpg
20171119_131740.jpg

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Since your car has the breathers installed there is a good chance the PCV line below the inter cooler is capped off. If there is not a hose coming out the back of your engine under the intake manifold I’d replace the breathers with push on fittings to run to a remote breather can. I don’t think running a sealed setup with this bottom line missing/capped is a good idea.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
There is a line coming out of the lower manifold. There is just a bolt shoved in the end of the hose.

♂️ Lol. You can either leave the bolt and run a remote breather or get the OEM T line and restore the PCV system and add separators in line.

If you drive the dog piss out of the car I would run a remote breather. If you run mostly street use with occasional dog piss runs I would run closed system with a separator.

I run the old style JLT setup with a breather on the oil cap that has a check valve in it. I have noticed a dramatic decrease in the amount of oil in the separator after I ran the breather. I have zero odor and oil on the cam covers.
a0ac00e6416795399cff2bb3d8b65838.jpg

SonicBlast281

Established Member
I thought it was amusing too, when I saw it. The guy that installed the vmp blower half assed almost everything on the car. Inherited a mess really. I believe I have almost fixed everything properly at this point. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

SonicBlast281

Established Member
Honestly, I think the hardest part of this is going to be finding the hose that goes from the intake to the valve cover. Probably gonna have to make my own.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The jlt separator did little for me. I still had a lot of oil in the intake plenum.

bigmoose

Established Member
I deleted my PCV system and run two breathers. I don't have any issues with oil residue. I do run amsoil signature series which I think helps alot. What oil are you running?

The problem with catch cans is even if it captures 99%, the other 1% will go into your intake and still cover your intercooler.

SonicBlast281

Established Member
I deleted my PCV system and run two breathers. I don't have any issues with oil residue. I do run amsoil signature series which I think helps alot. What oil are you running?

The problem with catch cans is even if it captures 99%, the other 1% will go into your intake and still cover your intercooler.

I have been running the pennzoil platinum full synthetic in the 5w-20 with a ford filter. Not to impressed with it. I just scored an older jlt catch can with pcv valve, necessary hoses and prefilter for the other side, for $75 from the Parts Farm. Worst comes to worst I can put it back the way it was. I hear you though on the 1%. Knowing my luck that intercooler probably needs cleaned too.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Here's a comparison on sizes of three separators. Starting from far left

1) This is a bobs separator. I initially bought it because it has great reviews among Shelby owners and such. It comes with a big bracket, but I couldn't find a suitable location to mount it.

2) This unit is a elite engineering separator. Very popular with the GM crowd and newer 5.0 mustangs. This is the current one I'm using. Dramatic improvement over the older jlt separator. I barely get any oil in the back of blower and plenum now.

3) Standard jlt oil separator. Did very little for me. It will full up to a certain point in the separator and that's it. The rest passes through.

You can notice the size difference. The bigger the better. This gives the oil a chance to break down. Also the further away is also better. These are two main reasons why some are superior to others. Also the filter system inside and inlet and outlet locations make a difference. I need to get some pictures of the inside of the elite separator so others can see.
IMAG1442_zpsdt1t45mi.jpg

IMAG1188_zpsfxfekbpf.jpg

IMAG1184_zpsggnubgyd.jpg

SonicBlast281

Established Member
Ended up with Goffin's setup. Plus the pre filter on the passenger side. I got the jlt catch can in the mail, and decided against using it. That thing is way too small.

Users who are viewing this thread