'03/04 Cobra Trailer Hitch

Oktavius

Established Member
I know this is going to be a touchy subject but does anyone know if there is a prebuilt trailer hitch available for '03/04 Cobras? I currently have a trailer hitch on my '92 GT for pulling a tire trailer. I am looking to buy a '03/04 Cobra and would like a way to pull the trailer to events. While I know i can have a custom hitch build (preferably hidden), I haven't found any prebuild ones for Cobras. Does anyone know if they are available?

Picture096.jpg

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
There isn't one off the shelf. I have a GT version, but it needed to be modified to pass under rear valence. It basically needs to be spaced off of the connection by about an inch or so. Mine had new square tubing bits welded to it to span the distance needed.....but I think you can do just as well with some good, solid spacers.

svt2712

Established Member
I don't know of one but race with people that have Z06's and miata's if they make one for them i don't see why they would'nt have one for the cobra's. Maybe check the SCCA forums ?

jking32

Established Member
Do you mean one like this?

2714587192_bdd434da72_b.jpg

2757950073_224ec3a86f_b.jpg

2758797116_c796574ec9_b.jpg

2713770579_a01ba5f982_b.jpg

Only thing is, it is custom made and not off the shelf. I designed it and had it welded up at work. I can work up a how to (dimension etc...) based on mine if anyone is interested. The problem or difference with 03 and 04 Cobra's is that they have a curved rear bumper. No other year or model that I have found has a curved rear bumper. That is good and bad. I had intentions of building and selling these through my company, but since they would be limited to 03/04 Cobra's and no other mustangs, then it just is not worth it and that is bad. The good, is that the curved bumper allows space to build the receiver up between the bumper and the trunk pan and mount the receiver vertically. That means once the hitch is removed the receiver is completely invisible. You have to crawl under the car to see it.

Last edited:

Oktavius

Established Member
Do you mean one like this?

That is exactly like what I would want. I was thinking of eventually modifying the one on the '92 so that it was vertical behind the bumper.

As far as marketing these, I would think it would be a good item to sell seeing that there isn't anyone else selling them for Cobras. I would be interested in buying one. If you don't market them, I would be interested in the dimensions/how-to.

Thank you,

jking32

Established Member
The problem I had was the testing and certification etc... I am not willing to use my car as the test vehicle. The smallest size hitch classification is a class 1 hitch. It has 2000lb tow weight and 200lb tongue weight. My autocross trailer, fully loaded is 750lbs and a tongue weight of 75lbs. I would pull it across the country and back and never lose a moments sleep about it failing. I have been pulling my autocross trailer 3 1/2 hours each round trip to 10 events this season and it works beautifully. I would not even have a problem taking it to the max, but I just don't want to take the risk for so little reward.

I never did find out all the details of getting it certified, but as with most things it usually needs to be able to handle a % greater then the spec. I don't have a test mule 03 Cobra and my company is not willing to pay for my car if it ever got damaged in testing. As they would market and sell the product as well as take the profits, I was not willing to put my car on the block to develop a product they would sell.

If the sales numbers were great enough then it would have been worth it for my share, but based on 03/04 Cobra production numbers and most people on this sites reaction to having a hitch on one, I would expect there might be a market for 50 to 100 max and that is being optomistic.

I will try and get the dimensions and write up done this weekend and PM anyone who is interested.

Last edited:

TroyV

Established Member
That is slick. With mine you can see the receiver just below where the bumper stops. I like your design a lot.

I think I have you guys trumped on the trailer though.....love this thing..

ALtrailer3.gif

ALtrailer2.gif

ALtrailer1.gif

Altrailer4.gif

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
I could not find anything so I made my own hitch. I will try and post more detailed pics later.
Best mod I ever did, period.

IMG_5585.jpg

TroyV

Established Member
Absolutely agree. With fuel prices going the way they went this past season, this was a VERY cost effective alternative to towing the car to events. Of course you need to have a reliable machine, but most folks on this board are pretty careful about pre-event maintenance and car prep.

jking32

Established Member
Yeah I had one guy tell me I was crazy and that I should go out and buy a truck and trailer to haul my Cobra to an from events? I guess some people don't live on budgets.

TroyV

Established Member
Anyone who is serious about autox and track events will consider adding a hitch to their car to pull a tire trailer at some point as an alternative to towing. I think it is a viable alternative....as long as the car is rock solid.

If you think a Cobra looks weird pulling a tire trailer, you should see a Spec Miata do it....now that looks weird. :)

A good case in point was the fuel cost for my trip last season to an event in Canada...towing the car, and this season pulling the tire trailer. The round trip was 1100 miles roughly. Pulling the car, it was three tanks into the E350 van for a total of 90 gallons. Pulling the tire trailer is was a little less than three tanks into the Cobra........for a total of around 45 gallons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread