03-04 cobra procharger kit

1bdsnk96

Established Member
I found a good running procharger for sale pretty cheap it comes with everything minus injectors and mass air, I would be getting this kit for my 96 4v I know I would have to do a c head swap but just wanted to get someones opinion on what they thought about this idea.???

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
only thing you'd have to address are if the bracket mounts match your front cover- if not you have to either swap brackets or front cover

cbrown9064

Established Member
I found a good running procharger for sale pretty cheap it comes with everything minus injectors and mass air, I would be getting this kit for my 96 4v I know I would have to do a c head swap but just wanted to get someones opinion on what they thought about this idea.???

Why do you think you need a head swap? Centris work good with B heads also. The C head swap is necessary on a KB/Eaton/Whipple using a after cooler...

OW99

Established Member
Reclock? Might be a dumb question but what is that?

Turn the discharge orientation compared to the mounting bolts. Like turning a clock. Having the outlet at 3 o'clock and need it going straight down? Turn it 90 degrees clockwise.

cbrown9064

Established Member
Because the kit comes with the sheet metal intake that is for the 03-04 cobra which have c-heads, correct me if I'm wrong.

Why wouldn't you just put the Procharger on with stock TB and intake? Is your motor "built"? Do you have a 1996 Cobra or just a long block you are using in another car?

If you have a stock 1996 Cobra and are wanting to put a Procharger on, leave the stock intake and heads on. You can break a rod or piston with the setup you have. If you want to tear the motor down and rebuild, I don't know if i would change from B heads and stock intake even then.

I guess I don't know why you want to go though all the work to put C heads on a stock 1996 4v...

1bdsnk96

Established Member
Why wouldn't you just put the Procharger on with stock TB and intake? Is your motor "built"? Do you have a 1996 Cobra or just a long block you are using in another car?

If you have a stock 1996 Cobra and are wanting to put a Procharger on, leave the stock intake and heads on. You can break a rod or piston with the setup you have. If you want to tear the motor down and rebuild, I don't know if i would change from B heads and stock intake even then.

I guess I don't know why you want to go though all the work to put C heads on a stock 1996 4v...

I understand what you mean I just for some reason thought it would need more but I get what your saying by just putting it on to the stock tb, me thinking it wouldnt mount up but I just realized that the tb on both cars are almost in the same spot. I was thinking of doing the c heads because I had seen or read that they made more power than the b heads unless you are running a big amount of boost, and also getting the sheet metal intake that is a part of the Kit from procharger.

cbrown9064

Established Member
The centri just needs tubing to plumb the intake air and the discharge air. Easy to fab up. Get a discharge tube from Vortech for the 1996-1998 Cobra and fabricate the rest.

If I were you, I would be looking for an intercooler before a sheet metal intake and C heads.

With a stock motor, Procharger and intercooler, you should be able to make 400rwhp safely. Strengthen the internals and you can probably get her up to mid 500s before things like the intake will be a limiter. Lots of other things will start to be a problem then, like trans, driveshaft, rear end, etc...

Finally don't get enamored with a "kit". You need a head unit, and then the bracket for the 1996-1998. Get the vortech discharge tube and make the rest of the piping. Get a bigger in tank fuel pump (255lph) and bigger injectors. A slot style MAF in blow through is a good way to go also. Tune the car with a custom tune. I would shy away from "gimmicks" like fuel pressure modules that try and "overdrive" stock injectors. Redo the systems the right way, or pay the price.

The reason the 2003-2004 "kit" you are looking at has a sheet metal intake, is that the 2003-2004 Cobras originally came with a Eaton blower. The blower had the TB as part of it and mounted to its own special intake with after cooler. When they took off the Eaton and went Procharger they now needed a new intake. Instead of buying one off a 1999 or Bullitt, they fabed one...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread