03/04 Cobra Impressions vs. Boss

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I want to address the m82 trans... It is not without its short comings for sure. But once warm it is one the smoothest performance manuals out there. I have owned several t56 equipped cars and the m82 is much smoother imo. The key is to use the entire clutch travel when shifting. It still can give some trouble at times with high rpm (7300+ rpm) speed shifts which is really frustrating. But in daily or spirited driving its is smooth.

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
I've had two Terminators, one coupe and one vert, and now have a supercharged Boss, and find the refinement level to be another world on the Boss. As of now, the cobra was easier to drive fast though, but it had much better tires than the stock Boss tires. I am seriously thinking about changing the rear gear on the boss to a 3.5 or 3.31, as the Boss setup has you cruising around at 45 mph in 5th gear.

I don't regret swapping over at all. It is a very nicely balanced car. I am looking forward to my track time in charlotte to really see how she goes.

Grant808

Established Member
I imagine the Boss is a more refined sports car vs. the muscle car character of the Cobra?

It's funny...my stock Cobra was more like a sports car in size with muscle car feel/sound. The Boss is a big muscle car that handles like a sports car.

The Boss interior feels 20 years more refined...and has way better handling out of the box and better handling potential if that's what you want.

But if you're looking to mod to get the power or handling that you want...you can even start with a GT or a Track pack/Brembo car. The Boss is just a better starting point if you're going to mod anyway.

KILRSVT

Established Member
I don't have a boss but I have a stock 5.0 coyote with the mt82 I gotta say it'd impressive . I am down 130 hp and 100 trq but it's a fun car to drive I had 7k worth of mm stuff and this car handles as good as my cobra stock . Once I add the coil overs this thing will lay the smack down on the twisties

Unrealford

Established Member
It's funny...my stock Cobra was more like a sports car in size with muscle car feel/sound. The Boss is a big muscle car that handles like a sports car.

The Boss interior feels 20 years more refined...and has way better handling out of the box and better handling potential if that's what you want.

But if you're looking to mod to get the power or handling that you want...you can even start with a GT or a Track pack/Brembo car. The Boss is just a better starting point if you're going to mod anyway.

My thoughts exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread