03/04 cobra engine overheat and/or coolant expulsion fix!!

2004silvercobra

Established Member
what i have done and has worked is fill the burp plug to the top than put the plug back in just a little and put a drill on the adapter than get a air hose or blow into the cap til water is coming out of the plug than have someone drill it tight real fast while the water is coming out and 99% of the time it works

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
if you have air in the system its probably down by the thermostat, not up by the burp plug...the air gets between the thermostat and the hot water meant to open it, and it stays closed causing the car to overheat.

air in the crossover tube simply means the system isnt filled with coolant yet.

and running a car with the burp plug off is a nice way to make a big mess. geyser is right. been there, done that, got wet. but that could be because my thermostat (evans) is on the same side of the radiator as the engine, and my bypass is smaller.

WDW MKR

Established Member
I've got a video of accidentally starting my new bullet with the burp plug removed. Talk about feeling like a moron. I don't think you ever get all of the coolant cleaned out of every crevice!

Even since then I will get a "hot coolant smell" after the car warms up when I park it and get out you can smell it strong for about 3-10 seconds. When I open the hood initially you can smell it. I've checked everywhere for a coolant leak and since the crossover tube is the only thing I screwed with I'm always checking for a leak at the O-Rings but the seal is tight.
I would almost swear that I smell the coolant right around the area of the de-gas bottle and I think the fan kicks on and blows the smell around the engine compartment and under the car with the hood shut.

I still experience this to this day and used to also have an occasional coolant vapor smell in my old 01 Cobra. I have your head cooling mod and I think you may be on to something regarding the rubber o-ring for the burp plug. I recently successfully burped the car but only tightened the burp plug until it was finger tight. I smelled the vapor strong and the following day I saw some white spots around the burp plug and crossover tube. Had to be coolant. Since tightening it with a ratchet the white spots haven't come back.

When I idle the car I can sometimes smell coolant fumes through the hood vents. But its not more than a second or two. And its on occasions though. The level in my reservoir hasn't dropped at all but I too have experienced smelling the coolant vapor outside the car. I'm always checking everything when I do smell this but I have to believe that this is a common problem.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
if you smell coolant, its because its getting out somehow

fluidyne radiators all crack on the passenger side on the bottom by the mount. it will weep out the crack and you'll smell it, but it will evaporate before it hits the ground so it wont leave a puddle. but the crack is still there.

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
if you smell coolant, its because its getting out somehow

fluidyne radiators all crack on the passenger side on the bottom by the mount. it will weep out the crack and you'll smell it, but it will evaporate before it hits the ground so it wont leave a puddle. but the crack is still there.

Never heard of this. I'll have to keep an eye on mine. No troubles in 2yrs of service.

Users who are viewing this thread