'01 Tranny FUBAR

ROADFOOLSRIDE

Local Pavement Ripper
Established Member
If this isn't the most retarded thing I've heard of: I've got a T45 in my '01....put in under factory warranty in '01!!!! My tranny is going to hell. Thought my clutch was goin bad so I put a new Centerforce in..and replaced the cable..stock quadrant and put new synthetic fluid in.

Clutch still engages just off the floor and above 4K rpm you cannot get into gear. I haven't priced out a rebuild for this tranny yet..but I'm not that excited about using it.

So here's my options: 1. rebuild tranny...assuming that will fix it. I don't have a reason not to think it would. Nothin else to fix.

2: I've got a friend that's got a T56 just getting rebuilt and has the bellhousing and drive shaft.

What do you think I should do?

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
I would rebuild the T45 for heavy duty. If you get the T56 and your N/A, you'll need the steepest gear you can find. But if you're blown go for the T56.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I agree. Build the T45. They're actually great trannys. I like them a lot better than the 3650's. The synchros are stronger/better designed and they take a lot of abuse.

I also agree on the T56. The first gear is so tall, you'll need a deep rear gear to get it moving. My '03 is supercharged (obviously) and I have 3.73's and it still feels sluggish in first. Personally I'm not a fan of the notchy Ford 6 speed. I miss the smooth shifting days of the T-5 and T-45.

If you can get a T56, thats where you need to drop the money. These cheaply made 5 speeds aren't worth squat unless they're the TKO versions. I'm on my 2nd TR3650 only because I got it dirt cheap (free) with my 01 Cobra crate motor. Its garbage in IMHO.

ROADFOOLSRIDE

Local Pavement Ripper
Established Member
I want to put on an S-trim next year. How bad would the bottom end be wit the t-56 now? I've got 3.73's in it now. I don't really wanna put in like 4.10's or higher in.

ROADFOOLSRIDE said:
I want to put on an S-trim next year. How bad would the bottom end be wit the t-56 now? I've got 3.73's in it now. I don't really wanna put in like 4.10's or higher in.

What do you mean bottom end? Weight difference is a few pounds. Not that big a deal.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I think he means low rpm power vs' gearing.

If you plan on supercharging, spend the money on the 6 speed, or buy a TKO.

ROADFOOLSRIDE

Local Pavement Ripper
Established Member
01cobravortech said:
What do you mean bottom end? Weight difference is a few pounds. Not that big a deal.

Bottom end I mean from a start. Am I going to be able to accelerate from a stop light ok? I don't drag race AT ALL so I'm not concerned with launching.

ROADFOOLSRIDE said:
Bottom end I mean from a start. Am I going to be able to accelerate from a stop light ok? I don't drag race AT ALL so I'm not concerned with launching.

You're acceleration won't be that much different. You'll still get from one stop light to the next like any other car. If you're concerned about accelerating from a stop light, then upgrade your gear ratio or do 4000rpm launches from one light to the next.

elyrain

Established Member
I think it cost like 600 to rebuild a t-45, maybe cheaper, I bought my 2003 3650 for $700 off a roush build up with about 50 miles on it, it's got a .62 5th gear just like a t-56. It should handle a blower just fine also if you don't race at all, just upgrade the clutch.

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
Do they make a G-Force T-45? I know about the T-5, but would that be a direct swap into our cobras?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
elyrain said:
I think it cost like 600 to rebuild a t-45, maybe cheaper, I bought my 2003 3650 for $700 off a roush build up with about 50 miles on it, it's got a .62 5th gear just like a t-56. It should handle a blower just fine also if you don't race at all, just upgrade the clutch.

What's your RPM's in 5th at 80mph?? I like the idea of rebuilding my T-45 for $700, which I think is on the way out, than dropping a couple grand on a T-56.

ROADFOOLSRIDE

Local Pavement Ripper
Established Member
My rpms at 80 are probably 2300-2400rpm.

Well here's the deal on the t56, I've got a friend with one for $1500 and bellhousing and driveshaft. It's a pretty good deal..and being into a better tranny and a 6spd would be nice.

elyrain

Established Member
BreBar21 said:
What's your RPM's in 5th at 80mph?? I like the idea of rebuilding my T-45 for $700, which I think is on the way out, than dropping a couple grand on a T-56.

3k rpm's 20mpg hwy

whitehorsegt

"Tampa Stock"
Established Member
ROADFOOLSRIDE said:
Clutch still engages just off the floor and above 4K rpm you cannot get into gear. I haven't priced out a rebuild for this tranny yet..but I'm not that excited about using it.

do u have a adjustable cable and firewall adjuster???....cause what u said sounds like it just needs to be adjusted...i had the same problem when i installed my clutch. .2

ROADFOOLSRIDE

Local Pavement Ripper
Established Member
I have a Fiore on BO. I've hooked in a new cable and factory quadrant. I don't want a bandaid fix. I'm not sure that a firewall adjuster will "fix" my problem correctly. I did research before looking into the tranny and saw that was a fix for many people..that's why I ordered the Fiore. I just want it done right..without wearing out my clutch prematurely

Users who are viewing this thread