01 IRS-- a few questions

RioRed4v

Established Member
how much stronger is it compared to the 99?

how much do they usually go for?

since my solid-axle is messed up, and i've had nothing but troubles with it, i'm thinking of swapping my N2O kit for an 01 IRS. Everything about the IRS is bone stock. My kit consists of all the lines, switches, NX heater, ZEX wet kit, and billet bottle bracket ($160 bracket).

Mach0ne351

Established Member
it's a stronger system. 31spline axles, better frame (from what my gear installer told me), and a few other things but i forgot..

marek

cobraracer46

Banned
01 IRS units have 31 spline half shafts compaird to the 28 spline half shafts on the 99 IRS. Besides the half shafts, the 99 and 01 IRS assemblies are the same. The 03-04 Cobra IRS units have a few improvments over the the 01 version like 200% stiffer subframe bushings and a modified tie rod location to reduce roll understeer. As for price, I have seen a few used IRS units going for $500 in the garage sale section of the Griggs Racing web site. :burnout: :burnout:

Last edited:

RioRed4v

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
01 IRS units have 31 spline half shafts compaird to the 28 spline half shafts on the 99 IRS. Besides the half shafts, the 99 and 01 IRS assemblies are the same. The 03-04 Cobra IRS units have a few improvments over the the 01 version like 200% stiffer subframe bushings and a modified tie rod location to reduce roll understeer. As for price, I have seen a few used IRS units going for $500 in the garage sale section of the Griggs Racing web site. :burnout: :burnout:

if i traded i would make sure to add MM Poly bushings along with the brace that 03's come with.

$500 huh? right on. i was starting to think a direct trade may not be 100% even since i'm sure i could sell my kit for $600-$700. i had seen some 99 IRS's go for as low as $250 on some sites.

---

and as for going with an 03 IRS i would, but the 01 IRS is a buddy of mine's and it's sitting at his house ready to go in.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
RioRed4v said:
if i traded i would make sure to add MM Poly bushings along with the brace that 03's come with.

$500 huh? right on. i was starting to think a direct trade may not be 100% even since i'm sure i could sell my kit for $600-$700. i had seen some 99 IRS's go for as low as $250 on some sites.

---

and as for going with an 03 IRS i would, but the 01 IRS is a buddy of mine's and it's sitting at his house ready to go in.
you know of any 99 IRS setups going for 250. I would buy just the half shafts and pumpkin for that, or if you know of any 99 28 spline cobra pumpkins.

RioRed4v

Established Member
99cobrablack said:
you know of any 99 IRS setups going for 250. I would buy just the half shafts and pumpkin for that, or if you know of any 99 28 spline cobra pumpkins.

do a search of here and corral and mod depot. i'm pretty sure i saw it one of those boards. stock 99 IRS for $250.

Users who are viewing this thread