'01 GTP is tasty for Breakfast

MineralGSVT

Established Member
Okay,

So I am on my way to work this morning. The main road that I take has a spot where it goes from 2 lanes to 1. There is a stoplight there and I usually have no trouble getting in front of the soccer moms or anything for that matter. So I pull up on the inside lane (this lane ends about 150 yards after the light.) The light is red and there is a new silver Pontiac Grand Prix GTP sitting in the other lane. I look over and it is an older man.. I'm 32, so I would say he was in his 50s. I think.. "He won't try it.." so I start flipping the radio stations when I hear him lay some rubber.. I look up, the light has just turned green, and he has about half a car length on me and I haven't moved yet. So I get into it, of course I light the tires up, catching him quickly, then I hit second
as I pull to his door.. my Cobra gets in the 5k range and the torque comes alive, I pull in front of him, shift to third, switch lanes and I am gone.

Note to self.

Turn traction control off before leaving the driveway.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by MineralGSVT
Okay,

So I am on my way to work this morning. The main road that I take has a spot where it goes from 2 lanes to 1. There is a stoplight there and I usually have no trouble getting in front of the soccer moms or anything for that matter. So I pull up on the inside lane (this lane ends about 150 yards after the light.) The light is red and there is a new silver Pontiac Grand Prix GTP sitting in the other lane. I look over and it is an older man.. I'm 32, so I would say he was in his 50s. I think.. "He won't try it.." so I start flipping the radio stations when I hear him lay some rubber.. I look up, the light has just turned green, and he has about half a car length on me and I haven't moved yet. So I get into it, of course I light the tires up, catching him quickly, then I hit second
as I pull to his door.. my Cobra gets in the 5k range and the torque comes alive, I pull in front of him, shift to third, switch lanes and I am gone.

Note to self.

Turn traction control off before leaving the driveway.

Nice one Todd!!
Just so you know, I only drive with the T/C on when it's slippery out......

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
OK, splain this to me; Is T/C an air locker in the 3rd member? My brother has a 98 Vette C-5 with T/C and that's pretty much the way I explained it to him. I have a 96 and they didnt come with 'em. Prolly not the right forum but it seemed relevent. Someone please enlighten me on this subject......

thanks,
Alex

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm not sure if this is what you meant or not..but I think Ford uses the brakes for the traction control. If just applies pressure when the computer senses the wheels losing grip....?

key

Established Member
Good job Todd! I had a similar experience with a Camry last night. I think the guys in the Camry just wanted to see me get on it :)

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Alex_96Cobra
OK, splain this to me; Is T/C an air locker in the 3rd member? My brother has a 98 Vette C-5 with T/C and that's pretty much the way I explained it to him. I have a 96 and they didnt come with 'em. Prolly not the right forum but it seemed relevent. Someone please enlighten me on this subject......

thanks,
Alex

It cuts timing and fuel delivery. T/C systems that control the braking are actually stability control so you don't go out of control on a turn.

MineralGSVT

Established Member
Traction control.. as defined in the 2001 SVT Mustang Cobra Brochure...

Traction Control: "Accomplished by a combination of ignition timing, cylinder cut-off and brake application. Driver-controlled on-off switch."

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by MineralGSVT
Traction control.. as defined in the 2001 SVT Mustang Cobra Brochure...

Traction Control: "Accomplished by a combination of ignition timing, cylinder cut-off and brake application. Driver-controlled on-off switch."

Makes sense with the new Cobra's with the IRS since Ford seems to be pushing the Cobra toward the road course more than the strip.

Last edited:

MineralGSVT

Established Member
If I would have seen you in your Saleen.. I would have known what was going on.. but it was an "older" guy in a GTP...

What are we going to do over the Holidays...Dad??

Maybe put some springs on my Cobra?? Or Brakes on your Saleen??

seeya

Both are needed...Do you know something I don't...
By the way, I use my Traction Control to get up out of the hole. Mine must be something different than you Big Dogs have?

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by SweetSVT99
I'm not sure if this is what you meant or not..but I think Ford uses the brakes for the traction control. If just applies pressure when the computer senses the wheels losing grip....?
Your Moms grand prix has T/C and it worked better when it was turned off right??? I couldnt remeber when we drove it for sure though...........

Users who are viewing this thread