01 GT vs. 2000 Lightning

bmfgsxr

Established Member
im a big mustang fan myself. but i used to be able to beat 99+gts in my 3.5, V6, 5spd., altima se. it may have been by a very small margin, or even neck and neck, but a stock mustang gt isnt lightning fast (pun intended). although a really good driver can make the most of any car. with that said, the lightnings are insane out of the hole, but definately alot slower on the roll. i havent had too many chances to race people in either situation but a stock lightning does have its limitations and roll racing isnt the place for a lightning to shine. and it was never made to shine in roll racing anyway, so if you win a roll race in a L then you got a bonus. everyone needs to keep in mind that we are talking about a 4800lb. pickup truck. anytime you can run a sports car against a pickup truck and even call it a race is a bonus as well. even if you lose in the lightning its still a win if you think about it that way.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
URBAN COWBOY said:
Funny thing is he's been in both vehicles and he's always amazed at how fast and how hard the "L" pulls at speed. He told me his wifes GT just doesn't do that. I guess 450ft-lbs does have a way to amaze people.

The SOTP-O-Meter can tell you some mighty big lies.

Now do a ~70 mph roll, tell the guy in the GT to start and 3rd and rev her out to 6,000 rpm.

Some GT Mustangs may have beating some Lightnings, but that is not the norm. SVT didn't build a 380hp, $33,000 truck to get whipped by a 260hp, $24,000 car. Period.

While I agree with this statement, the flip to this argument is that SVT didn't build a $33,000, 380 hp truck to beat a $24,000, 260 hp car from an interstate roll. I assure you this wasn't one of SVT's criteria when designing and testing the Lightning.

sniderboys23

Sleeper
Established Member
we did a 70 mph roll cause we just moved into our new house and he was over visiting. we went back to there house to eat supper. so we were on the highway. and yes i think this car has a reflash done on the comp or something cause it does seem faster than most gt's i had test drove. before i bought this one? ask quick gt hes been in it.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
bmfgsxr said:
im a big mustang fan myself. but i used to be able to beat 99+gts in my 3.5, V6, 5spd., altima se. it may have been by a very small margin, or even neck and neck, but a stock mustang gt isnt lightning fast (pun intended). although a really good driver can make the most of any car. with that said, the lightnings are insane out of the hole, but definately alot slower on the roll. i havent had too many chances to race people in either situation but a stock lightning does have its limitations and roll racing isnt the place for a lightning to shine. and it was never made to shine in roll racing anyway, so if you win a roll race in a L then you got a bonus. everyone needs to keep in mind that we are talking about a 4800lb. pickup truck. anytime you can run a sports car against a pickup truck and even call it a race is a bonus as well. even if you lose in the lightning its still a win if you think about it that way.

:rollseyes Is this a stock 3.5 altima we're talking about or a modded one. also are you talking about from a dig or roll.

LNCHBOX

Established Member
Ben99GT said:
Well, I'm sure it can be arranged. Maybe we can put a post up, find someone in your area who can actually shift a 5 speed, has a good condition, near-stock, '99+, 5-speed, hardtop GT and set up an interstate race?

Reality just may bite you in the ass.; that is if you really are stock.

Lightnings just aren't interstate terrors when stock. They can lose to cars on the interstate that they can make look dumb for even trying on a dragstrip or at a stoplight. That's reality.

Just be prepared to sell that Lightning if you lose to a 260 hp GT, UC. Don't go and pull an Alec Baldwin on us. :poke:

Hopefully you will be so angry and disheartened you'll sell me the truck for cheap! :banana:

I guess my friend's '02 is just a freak of some kind then, I know for a fact all it had was a catback, same as my GT, and I know I can pull off a 3-4 shift. I can't even describe how bad his truck pulled away after I shifted to 4th. All I can say is the reality in my neck of the woods is that an '01-up L will win against a new edge GT, as long as the mods are comparable. This was in the middle of 95 degree New Orleans humid heat, I don't even wanna get started on what happened when we raced when it was cool out.

If anyone is losing to stock '99-'04 Mustang GT's in their stock '01-up L, you may want to consider a tune up or removing the throttle stop that must be there. Can't say about '99-'00 Ls, never raced one of those.. that was stock any way.

I wish I still had my car so I could video my friend and I racing and put an end to this. I can't believe L owners are trying to admit to losing to a stock non-SVT Mustang :shrug:

QuikGT

Banned
LNCHBOX said:
I can't believe L owners are trying to admit to losing to a stock non-SVT Mustang :shrug:

how lame!! i guess that svt badge on the side of ur truck automatically makes u faster???:loser: :kaboom:

i guess z06 owners shouldnt admit to losing to me either, just cuz they have a z06 badge....

in my BONE STOCK 02gt i ran a 13.77 @ 101.6mph with a 60ft of 1.88 on street tires....i never lost to a lightning from a highway roll...

reality check to all lightning owners: at 70 mph ur svt powered lightnings are weak...ur trucks werent meant for highway racing:poke: :poke: :poke: ...i 100% believe james' story especially bc he drives it so well...fyi a cold air kit only added 4rwhp when i added it on my gt....:burn: :burn: :poke:

LNCHBOX

Established Member
I'm not saying that just because it's an SVT it's faster. Stock for stock however, the odds are heavily on the side of the L, unless of course the GT is one like yours which I think you can admit ran a very fast time stock (nice driving BTW). I just can't say that an L would lose to a stock GT as my personal experience tells me otherwise. And my car trapped 100, so I know it wasn't a lemon. Obviously there are a billion variables to change the outcome, so I'll just agree to disagree.

QuikGT

Banned
if the gt is driven to its max it can be achieved...i have seen gts lose before. but james drives his very well and i totally believe his kill....

james get some gears then ull murder that lightning!!

URBAN COWBOY

CITY SLICKER
Established Member
QuikGT said:
how lame!! i guess that svt badge on the side of ur truck automatically makes u faster???

reality check to all lightning owners: at 70 mph ur svt powered lightnings are weak...ur trucks werent meant for highway racing

Yep, faster than most 4 wheel vehicles on the road.

Reality check. 450ft-lbs gets a 4700lbs truck moving damn good from a 70mph roll.

URBAN COWBOY

QuikGT

Banned
URBAN COWBOY said:
Yep, faster than most 4 wheel vehicles on the road.

Reality check. 450ft-lbs gets a 4700lbs truck moving damn good from a 70mph roll.

URBAN COWBOY

most wouldnt consider >101mph damn good....

bmfgsxr

Established Member
QuikGT said:
how lame!! i guess that svt badge on the side of ur truck automatically makes u faster???:loser: :kaboom:

i guess z06 owners shouldnt admit to losing to me either, just cuz they have a z06 badge....

in my BONE STOCK 02gt i ran a 13.77 @ 101.6mph with a 60ft of 1.88 on street tires....i never lost to a lightning from a highway roll...

reality check to all lightning owners: at 70 mph ur svt powered lightnings are weak...ur trucks werent meant for highway racing:poke: :poke: :poke: ...i 100% believe james' story especially bc he drives it so well...fyi a cold air kit only added 4rwhp when i added it on my gt....:burn: :burn: :poke:

ya know, i remembered a story on my way to work this morning. when i first got my lightning i was on my way to work won(yes, i spelt that "won" because you will see from my story that it is fitting) morning and i ran up on a guy in a mustang gt. we were side by side and he looked over at me and nailed it well i had a car right in front of me so i had to wait just a second to jump in the lane behind him as i nailed it (from about 65ish if i remember correctly) and i ended up not only catching up to the guy in the mustang gt, but i actually had to hit my brakes to keep from running into him. as i started gaining on him (it was clear that he was still accelerating and trying to get away) i changed lanes so i would run up along side of him, but he cut in front of me, then got off the gas and i had to hit my brakes otherwise i would have flattened him..
im a mustang fan, but dont get so high and mighty on your 260hp gt. and roll racing is ricer racing anyway. a real race is either in the 1/4 mile or on a road course.

and your a ****ing tool btw..

Last edited:

URBAN COWBOY

CITY SLICKER
Established Member
QuikGT said:
most wouldnt consider >101mph damn good....

What are you talking about?:shrug: A Lightning will drop the hammer and go from 70mph to 125-130mph with ease. She will pull strong all the way up to an aerodynamically limited speed of 150mph. I get sick and tired of people saying Lightning’s are slow after 70mph or whatever, because that's just not the truth. Now I know the "L" is not going to pull as hard as an LS1 Camaro or Cobra at those speeds, but she will still out accelerate most cars on the highway. I love driving my "L" on the highway just for those reasons; she has plenty of power to pass at any speed.

URBAN COWBOY

bmfgsxr

Established Member
UC, let people think they are slow. it makes it all the more fun to see their faces in the rearview after they just got beat by a truck in a roll race.. lol

QuikGT

Banned
im not a tool....i dont think they are slow, but they are def. weak from a roll....i agree they are faster than 90% of the vehicles on the road....that wasnt the argument tho...

i meant >101mph trap spd in the 1/4....

ull never see my car in the rearview with a lightning....i said i used to own a gt....and btw my gt trapped 92mph 1/8th mile when i was done modding it so like i said i never lost to an l from a roll....
i now own the car in the sig h/c/i ta...

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Lightning are fast from a roll compared to most cars, but when referring to performance cars they are not. There are a lot of cars tha trap 101 or more in the 1/4 stock and they gain a bigger advantage the faster you go. A stock lightning will get pulled by stock camaro's, T/A's, Vettes, new Mustangs, SRT-8's, lightly modded SRT-4's, and some 99-04 GT's. As long as the driver of those vehicles knows what gear they should be in on the kick. I love my Lightning, but these are just facts, and also the reason I have a 600hp truck now.

supeg

Established Member
Sorry to break your hart but a built Lightning would hand you your ass. Built L's with supporting mods and a whipple or kenne bell run 10's... What do you run again?

QuikGT said:
im not a tool....i dont think they are slow, but they are def. weak from a roll....i agree they are faster than 90% of the vehicles on the road....that wasnt the argument tho...

i meant >101mph trap spd in the 1/4....

ull never see my car in the rearview with a lightning....i said i used to own a gt....and btw my gt trapped 92mph 1/8th mile when i was done modding it so like i said i never lost to an l from a roll....
i now own the car in the sig h/c/i ta...

supeg

Established Member
Yes from a roll, from a dig table's change against most of those cars...

2bscrewed said:
Lightning are fast from a roll compared to most cars, but when referring to performance cars they are not. There are a lot of cars tha trap 101 or more in the 1/4 stock and they gain a bigger advantage the faster you go. A stock lightning will get pulled by stock camaro's, T/A's, Vettes, new Mustangs, SRT-8's, lightly modded SRT-4's, and some 99-04 GT's. As long as the driver of those vehicles knows what gear they should be in on the kick. I love my Lightning, but these are just facts, and also the reason I have a 600hp truck now.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
supeg said:
Yes from a roll, from a dig table's change against most of those cars...
Absolutely! But this thread is about roll racing (gay in my book anyway), so the truth hurts some peoples ego. Get over it and make it faster. I took my truck to a street night and in complete street trim, my best trap was only 118. So even built Lightnings are more vulnerable on the street than you think. It's just a matter of physics.

Users who are viewing this thread