01 GT vs. 2000 Lightning

URBAN COWBOY

CITY SLICKER
Established Member
Ben99GT said:
Uh, no. On all accounts...well, except for the standstill.

A stock mustang doesn't have the torque to out accelerate an "L" from a high-speed roll on. I've raced a few '99-'04 Mustangs from 60mph rolls and all the stang owner sees (while I'm still in sight) is my tailgate. You care to try me?:-D

URBAN COWBOY

LNCHBOX

Established Member
I'll add my experience as well. My friend has an '02 L, with a catback, and I had an '02 GT 5 speed with a catback. I went 13.9 bone stock in my car with a 2.0 60ft, so I think I'm a decent driver. Anytime we raced froma highway roll, it would be kinda close until the top of 3rd. Once I hit 4th, the L pulled away like I ran into a wall. An extra 120hp and an assload more torque more than make up for the weight disadvantage. Everyone saying that a near stock GT will hang with an L is dreaming.

EDIT: Also, from a dig, I may as well have been in a Civic. Just thought I'd add that.

Last edited:

hemislayer99

Here...Hemi...Hemi!!!
Established Member
I know its true from experience. My friend has an 04 gt and when he first got it were going down the highway and went from 80 and he pulled about a car on me. We went from a dig though and I ate him alive. Its like everyone says the aerodynamics really kill the truck at high speeds!

firemedix911

Established Member
QuikGT said:
im gonna disagree here....im sorry man but i also used to have an 02 gt...and i guess u cant drive well or whatever but a stock gt will murder a harley truck from a roll....and definately give a lightning a good run especially from a roll...

as i have ridden in both vehicles, im not impressed with the lightnings performance at high speeds....

I don't know a stock Harely but my Harley would kill any stock 99-04 GT from a roll and it'll be very close from a dig. Take into account I've got some mods done. That's the comparison I was making. Top end if you think the 99-04 gt's got top end you've got issues. I love mustangs but one thing this cars don't have is top end 99-04's @ least. My truck I floor it @ 80mph it it just takes off like a rape ape this w/o taking it off the o/d. My 02 gt was moded also and I loved it and sometimes still miss it but the top end was baaad.

I'm by no means saying that the kill is BS there r to many factors involved for me to say that. IT was agod kill. I was just stating my experience.

QuikGT

Banned
i was referring to stock vs stock...but yea the gt really falls on its face after about 5400rpm....at least thats what i experienced....some nice heads and cams will really help u out on the top end james...then go with some 3.90s or 4.10s

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
URBAN COWBOY said:
A stock mustang doesn't have the torque to out accelerate an "L" from a high-speed roll on.

I've seen Lightnings flat LOSE to Mustang GT from interstate runs that they will pull 3+ cars on from a dig. I've personally seen it many times. Lightnings aren't fast at all from interstate runs.

I've raced a few '99-'04 Mustangs from 60mph rolls and all the stang owner sees (while I'm still in sight) is my tailgate. You care to try me?:-D

Yea, sure, but you better have a Kenne Bell and some other goodies to bring it to my little n/a GT. :burnout: :rockon: :)

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Some of you are delusional about Lightnings. They are horrible from a high roll, and HD's are even worse. Also remember that the truck in question has 3.55 gears not 3.73's like 01 and ups have. Not to mention that if they had been driving around a bit the Lightning and it's blower were hot, which makes them even slower. Most 99-00 Lightnings have a hard time trapping 100mph stock.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
URBAN COWBOY said:
If my stock '03 "L" got beat from a roll by a 260hp GT Mustang, I would sell it. I haven't sold her yet.:-D

URBAN COWBOY
Your 03 has 20 more hp and has better gears than the 99-00's. Not to mention the 03-04's seem to be a bit stronger than the 01-02's when their stock also.

URBAN COWBOY

CITY SLICKER
Established Member
2bscrewed said:
Your 03 has 20 more hp and has better gears than the 99-00's. Not to mention the 03-04's seem to be a bit stronger than the 01-02's when their stock also.

True, but the '99-'00 still put out 440ft-lbs at 3000rpms. The 3.55 gear ratio might make them a little slower off the line, but not at a 40-60mph roll. Case in point. Back in '99 when the "L" first came out a friend of mine who owned a Porshe 928 said he was on the highway doing 80mph when a red truck with a Lightning badge came up along side of him. He said the driver in the truck waved at him then left him in the dust. My friend said he was so shocked that he called the Ford dealership and ask what kind of truck is the Lightning. The salesman told him what it was and how much they cost. I will never forget that story, I thought it was pretty cool. My friend kept repeating to me. "Man I was doing 80mph."

URBAN COWBOY.

hemislayer99

Here...Hemi...Hemi!!!
Established Member
Yea well believe or not it can happen! Im not proud of it, but it happened to me! By the way I haven't sold mine yet either.

CleanCobra

The Anti-Bling
Established Member
Just some personal exp. with an 01 L. It was my freinds, and my car was stock, except for an MGW and a k&n filter at the time. He had bassani exhaust,K&N intake, programmer and a ftvb. From 60, I would pull ahead, and from a stop he'd edge me out, but barely. My bumper never fell behind his rear bumper. He ran a best of 13.5xx at the track his first time out, very nice truck.

1QUICKBOLT

Established Member
Iv'e been through this senario a hundred times.
Me 04L Filter,tbdy 13.6/8.60 full weight stock tires
Him 02gt 410,x-pipe,cat-back,intake,tune
He kicked my arse all the time from a dig and a roll, at any speed. Even without the gear and tune he still beat me. I worked with this guy for 2yrs and has been kicking my butt for that long. Even my eclipse will beat my truck and he's already beaten me with that. I guess what im saying is that with the right stuff and a good driver, the L can get beat (a lot). Even if i got a KB he still will kick the crap out of me. The guy put
a stinkin L motor in his gt.

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
1QUICKBOLT said:
Iv'e been through this senario a hundred times.
Me 04L Filter,tbdy 13.6/8.60 full weight stock tires
Him 02gt 410,x-pipe,cat-back,intake,tune
He kicked my arse all the time from a dig and a roll, at any speed. Even without the gear and tune he still beat me. I worked with this guy for 2yrs and has been kicking my butt for that long. Even my eclipse will beat my truck and he's already beaten me with that. I guess what im saying is that with the right stuff and a good driver, the L can get beat (a lot). Even if i got a KB he still will kick the crap out of me. The guy put
a stinkin L motor in his gt

:eek: :lol: That would explain it:bowdown:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
URBAN COWBOY said:
If my stock '03 "L" got beat from a roll by a 260hp GT Mustang, I would sell it. I haven't sold her yet.:-D

URBAN COWBOY

Well, I'm sure it can be arranged. Maybe we can put a post up, find someone in your area who can actually shift a 5 speed, has a good condition, near-stock, '99+, 5-speed, hardtop GT and set up an interstate race?

Reality just may bite you in the ass.; that is if you really are stock.

Lightnings just aren't interstate terrors when stock. They can lose to cars on the interstate that they can make look dumb for even trying on a dragstrip or at a stoplight. That's reality.

Just be prepared to sell that Lightning if you lose to a 260 hp GT, UC. Don't go and pull an Alec Baldwin on us. :poke:

Hopefully you will be so angry and disheartened you'll sell me the truck for cheap! :banana:

Last edited:

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
URBAN COWBOY said:
True, but the '99-'00 still put out 440ft-lbs at 3000rpms. The 3.55 gear ratio might make them a little slower off the line, but not at a 40-60mph roll.
A more agressive Gear will help you all the way to redline, no matter what speed your at, the 3.73's will pull you through the rpms faster. A 60 roll is the sweetest spot for my truck, but it's still not that great. In total street trim I only ran 11.65 with a trap of 118. There are plenty of 12 sec Cobra's, Fbody's and Turbo upgraded Neons that will walk me from a roll. That's just the nature of the physics we are fighting.

1QUICKBOLT

Established Member
2KBlackGT said:
:eek: :lol: That would explain it:bowdown:

No, he still had the 4.6 in it. He just recently got his setup running halfway right. I thought i could do a blower swap before he started his project, but all i can do now is carry ice for his intercooler. He still trying to figure out his suspension setup. He's just now figuring out that maybe his eibach lowering springs are just not working. He's still working on his setup also, running only 13psi on Heaton power he's running consisant 11.0@127 with a headwind and a jacked up alignment. This was with his first pass with car after the swap. I'll post a pic when i can figure how.

Last edited:

URBAN COWBOY

CITY SLICKER
Established Member
Ben99GT said:
Well, I'm sure it can be arranged. Maybe we can put a post up, find someone in your area who can actually shift a 5 speed, has a good condition, near-stock, '99+, 5-speed, hardtop GT and set up an interstate race?

Reality just may bite you in the ass.; that is if you really are stock.

Lightnings just aren't interstate terrors when stock. They can lose to cars on the interstate that they can make look dumb for even trying on a dragstrip or at a stoplight. That's reality.

Just be prepared to sell that Lightning if you lose to a 260 hp GT, UC. Don't go and pull an Alec Baldwin on us. :poke:

Hopefully you will be so angry and disheartened you'll sell me the truck for cheap! :banana:

A good friend of mine who I ride my bike with has a '99+, 5-speed, hardtop GT (his wifes car). I'll see if I can get him to do some roll-ons with me (if his wife lets him) and I'll try and have his wife video the run from inside the car for you guys. Funny thing is he's been in both vehicles and he's always amazed at how fast and how hard the "L" pulls at speed. He told me his wifes GT just doesn't do that. I guess 450ft-lbs does have a way to amaze people. Some GT Mustangs may have beating some Lightnings, but that is not the norm. SVT didn't build a 380hp, $33,000 truck to get whipped by a 260hp, $24,000 car. Period.

URBAN COWBOY

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread