01 GT vs. 2000 Lightning

sniderboys23

Sleeper
Established Member
well first off this is my father in laws truck. he has no mods on it. it is all stock. the mods on the GT that i know of are bbk cai and thats it. we went from a 70 punch. he had a half a truck on me till about 90 then i puleed about a car length on him so i only beat him by a car. so my question is. is this normal for a gt or is there mods on it?thanks guys and gals

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
hmmm well from my experiance going up against a lighting when i only had a jlt ram air was he got me pretty good from a dig i hung with him til about 40 but maybe he had mods the gt really doesnt do that great at its higher speeds butthere is the weight factor also so im not sure maybe a lighting guy can chime in on this one

supeg

Established Member
Yah starting from 70 is a really really bad starting place for a Lightning.

So yah, sounds about right, from a stop your toast, but from a really high roll like you did, the flying brick doesnt do too well :(

LightningMAS

Banned
ya from a 70mph. punch.. the L lost all his torque advantages.. plus we are a flying brick past 100mph. hahaa.. good kill.. go from a dig next time

sniderboys23

Sleeper
Established Member
03svtsnakevert said:
find this one hard to believe, but okay...

brick or not...weight or not..hp is hp
ok so u think its hard to believe thats cool i was just asking not bragging here. but yeah he wants to go from a dig also i know hell eat me alive from there. but im thinking the gt has maybe a computer reflash or something? but im not sure.it does have a lot of suspension work done to it too.maybe just areodynamics im figuring :shrug:

firemedix911

Established Member
From a dig a moded L takes the 03-04 cobras. I don't see the GT hanging with the L on that race. Also I own a Harley truck and On top end I've walked Gt's. Used to have an 02 GT also and there is no comparison between the top end of this trucks and the GT specially if the GT has a tall gear.

QuikGT

Banned
firemedix911 said:
From a dig a moded L takes the 03-04 cobras. I don't see the GT hanging with the L on that race. Also I own a Harley truck and On top end I've walked Gt's. Used to have an 02 GT also and there is no comparison between the top end of this trucks and the GT specially if the GT has a tall gear.

im gonna disagree here....im sorry man but i also used to have an 02 gt...and i guess u cant drive well or whatever but a stock gt will murder a harley truck from a roll....and definately give a lightning a good run especially from a roll...

as i have ridden in both vehicles, im not impressed with the lightnings performance at high speeds....

QuikGT

Banned
oh btw the L is stock....BONE STOCK....so were not talking about a modded L....also a tricycle can take an 03-04 cobra from a dig....

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Well, good kill. But...

At 70mph it's a brick. Roll races, esp. that high, is no good. From a dig, the torque in the Lightning really shines. But up top, it's just too heavy, and not very kind to the drag co-effiant. lol So I think the race you described sounds 100% true. Esp. saince you said the Lightning was stock.

Good kill.

Edit:
QuikGT said:
oh btw the L is stock....BONE STOCK....so were not talking about a modded L....also a tricycle can take an 03-04 cobra from a dig....
Oh man, you better get your flame suite on for that comment... :-D

sniderboys23

Sleeper
Established Member
yeah i know if it was from a dig i would be toast. i was not flaming an L. i was just surprised to be one. and i know it was better for me than the l on the highway race.but from a dig he would kill me.

sniderboys23

Sleeper
Established Member
rusty's car is fast i dont think he needs the flamesuit. and yes im a ford guy.love the cobra's and want one, im just stating the facts.

StangJason

Established Member
I have no doubt that you couldn't beat a stock L from a roll because I was able to beat one in my former car an 87 Mustang LX. I beat the L by a tenth in the 1/4 mile in which the L barely got me the first 60ft then I was able to pull ahead, weight I guess, enough to win with a mph of 99 to his 101...for those ready to flame please take in accoun this is a high heat/humid area.

sniderboys23

Sleeper
Established Member
sniderboys23 said:
yeah i know if it was from a dig i would be toast. i was not flaming an L. i was just surprised to be one. and i know it was better for me than the l on the highway race.but from a dig he would kill me.
we went at it again and same outcome? can u guys help me try to figure out if this is an areodynamic's or if it has something to do with what the mods on the car are? my father in law seems to think it may hvae gears. or a computer reflash?

URBAN COWBOY

CITY SLICKER
Established Member
A GT Mustang is no match for a Lightning. I can't see a GT Mustang beating a Lightning from a dig or from a roll. The Lightning’s may be bricks at speed but they have awesome top end. While most n/a cars are starting to die at 80mph an "L" will take off and pull like crazy all the way up to it's max speed 140-150mph. I've disappeared on GT Mustangs from a roll on the highway. Now the new '05 GT Stangs will probably hang, but not the 260hp Stangs.

URBAN COWBOY

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
URBAN COWBOY said:
A GT Mustang is no match for a Lightning. I can't see a GT Mustang beating a Lightning from a dig or from a roll. The Lightning’s may be bricks at speed but they have awesome top end. While most n/a cars are starting to die at 80mph an "L" will take off and pull like crazy all the way up to it's max speed 140-150mph. I've disappeared on GT Mustangs from a roll on the highway. Now the new '05 GT Stangs will probably hang, but not the 260hp Stangs.

URBAN COWBOY

With the mods in my sig, I raced a 99-04 GT from a 40mph roll, no traction whatsoever, sliding all over the damn place, and made him look like he was standing still. A stock L at that high of a roll cant hang all that great because of the fact that our aerodynamics are not made for that. And the ridiculous weight factor. So the person who started this thread, I believe his kill and good job. Now find a modded one and see the difference. And an 05 Mustang surprised me when I was stock, how it kept up with me from about a 50mph roll. They're pretty damn quick.

URBAN COWBOY

CITY SLICKER
Established Member
FleeMan said:
With the mods in my sig, I raced a 99-04 GT from a 40mph roll, no traction whatsoever, sliding all over the damn place, and made him look like he was standing still. A stock L at that high of a roll cant hang all that great because of the fact that our aerodynamics are not made for that. And the ridiculous weight factor. So the person who started this thread, I believe his kill and good job. Now find a modded one and see the difference. And an 05 Mustang surprised me when I was stock, how it kept up with me from about a 50mph roll. They're pretty damn quick.

I agree with you. I'm just stating that a stock 99-'04 GT Stang is no match for a stock "L" at standstill or a 40-80mph roll. The GT would need more than a bbk and cai to hang, it would need gears and ect. The Lightning aerodynamics hampers it at top speed (140 plus), not accelerating from 40 or 80mph rolls.

URBAN COWBOY

Last edited:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
heh

URBAN COWBOY said:
I agree with you. I'm just stating that a stock 99-'04 GT Stang is no match for a stock "L" at standstill or a 40-80mph roll. The GT would need more than a bbk and cai to hang, it would need gears and ect. The Lightning aerodynamics hampers it at top speed (140 plus), not accelerating from 40 or 80mph rolls.

URBAN COWBOY

Uh, no. On all accounts...well, except for the standstill.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
URBAN COWBOY said:

URBAN COWBOY

I agree, at a 70mph roll aerodynamics will not hurt the L that much. It should pull on close to stock Mustang GT. The L pulls harder at those speeds than a stock Mustang GT. BTW why are you doing 70mph rolls?

Users who are viewing this thread