01 GT roll race mph

StrokerGT22

Established Member
Ok so I’ve raced rolls and digs but most of the time I’m hooking up with cars from rolls and my question was what mph is best for roll racing for my car it’s a 01 GT automatic not gonna list every mod but main mods I will it’s got a trans cooler 3,200 rpm custom Thor stall converter completely rebuilt motor bored out 5.0 302 stroker XE270AH comp cams 2.1 kenne bell blower 4.10 gears 315/35/17 NT05R tires longtube headers have not drove my car yet almost done at the shop but when I get it back I was needing some advise on roll race tips gonna be racing some of my friends manual mustangs and I know autos are not the best on rolls and no I don’t think manually shifting my car is a good idea I don’t wanna screw up my transmission

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Pd blower, 4.10's, and torque converter will make it hard to hook up from a low rpm roll. I don't think you'll get a dead hook under 45mph. My auto Mach with 3600 stall, 3.55, and Vortech making 508rwhp will spin for a millisecond and then hook if I hammer it at 40mph. Tires are 275/40/17 Toyo drag radials. Not sure how good those NT05R are going to work for you. Do you have a Jmod or modified valve body?

FJohnny

Established Member
Ok so I’ve raced rolls and digs but most of the time I’m hooking up with cars from rolls and my question was what mph is best for roll racing for my car it’s a 01 GT automatic not gonna list every mod but main mods I will it’s got a trans cooler 3,200 rpm custom Thor stall converter completely rebuilt motor bored out 5.0 302 stroker XE270AH comp cams 2.1 kenne bell blower 4.10 gears 315/35/17 NT05R tires longtube headers have not drove my car yet almost done at the shop but when I get it back I was needing some advise on roll race tips gonna be racing some of my friends manual mustangs and I know autos are not the best on rolls and no I don’t think manually shifting my car is a good idea I don’t wanna screw up my transmission

Two things come to mind:

1) Maybe you don't treat this as a math problem. Best to go out and see how it works on regular roads for a day or so and then you'll know for sure.

2) That question/description might just be the longest sentence ever. Amazing and congrats.

Good luck with the new beast and all the best.

StrokerGT22

Established Member
Two things come to mind:

1) Maybe you don't treat this as a math problem. Best to go out and see how it works on regular roads for a day or so and then you'll know for sure.

2) That question/description might just be the longest sentence ever. Amazing and congrats.

Good luck with the new beast and all the best.

Thanks man I haven’t drove the car yet I’ll just have to see

blownstang4.6

Established Member
On a roll should I mash it in 3rd gear or 4th

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

4th is overdrive so you should definitely not mash it in overdrive. You should turn overdrive off when you want to race. You don't want it downshifting at WOT out of or into overdrive. Your tuner should make sure that your car will never shift into overdrive at WOT. If you hammer it in 3rd and aren't going fast enough it is going do downshift to 1st or 2nd. You need to play around with it to see what it likes and what you like. I don't think mine shifts into 3rd at WOT until around 90mph.

StrokerGT22

Established Member
4th is overdrive so you should definitely not mash it in overdrive. You should turn overdrive off when you want to race. You don't want it downshifting at WOT out of or into overdrive. Your tuner should make sure that your car will never shift into overdrive at WOT. If you hammer it in 3rd and aren't going fast enough it is going do downshift to 1st or 2nd. You need to play around with it to see what it likes and what you like. I don't think mine shifts into 3rd at WOT until around 90mph.

Well now after I’ve got this kenne bell and rebuilt motor and other stuff done I’m gonna have to learn it but before what i did was I never mashed it in 4th I would be going 42mph in 4th and then it my od off and it would downshift in 3rd and then I would hit the od on and it would stay in 3rd more up in the power band than it would be in 4th so I mash it and it pulls great and shifts into 4th now I have no clue have to wait for it to get done out of the shop now only reason why I don’t keep od off when I mash it I’d run out of gear way to fast I’ve got 4.10 gears

blownstang4.6

Established Member
You shouldn't ever be shifting into 4th at WOT unless you want to kill the trans. At 42mph it will downshift probably into 2nd with your gearing, and then run out all of3rd. Your tune shouldn't allow you to shift into O/D. Yes you will run out of gear way too fast with your setup. You need to step up to a 28" tire, bring the gearing down, or build the trans so you can lock the converter in 3rd at WOT to gain a little more Mph room (this option alone probably won't be enough to not run out of gear) . I run the stock 3.55 in mine and with an unlocked converter and 26" tire I'm pretty much done at around 120-125. Car ran 121 at the track two years ago and that was crossing at like 6300 rpm. It should go about 124 now so I'm going to stretch it a little to 6600rpm.

Last edited:

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Well I’m going to a 3.73 gear when I mash it with over drive off do u think it will be better than my old 4.10 gears

Are you locking the converter in WOT? If you're on the stock trans I'm guessing no? How high are you revving it? It will help, but with an unlocked converter at 6500rpm you're going to be around 125mph.

Users who are viewing this thread