'01 frnt cvr + '04 iron block oil leak ?

Jamie R.

Established Member
Anybody using the iron block or used the iron block with our '01 front cover? I appear to have a oil leak where the one bolt hole is not used. If a simple fix cannot be found, it's looking like a drill and tap is gonna have to be used dangit.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
I have the opposite, I have an 03 cobra timing cover on an aluminum block. What I did was use liquid gasket to plug that whole area. It drips a little bit, but not as much as it did before I put the liquid gasket in, The only other solution is to drill and tap I believe. On my aluminum block I believe I actually need to weld some material onto the block before I can drill and tap, but I don't think that is necessary for the 4v timing cover on the iron block.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
You say it's for the front timing cover? Imo pull the cover off and see if there is any debris in the area, I think it's a gasket that lays in a channel so it also may not have been set in properly if it came off... The edges you have to use gasket maker due to design from what I remember. GL

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
You say it's for the front timing cover? Imo pull the cover off and see if there is any debris in the area, I think it's a gasket that lays in a channel so it also may not have been set in properly if it came off... The edges you have to use gasket maker due to design from what I remember. GL

The iron and aluminum blocks have 1 hole that is in a different spot along the right side of the water pump. Even with the timing cover gasket in place, you will have a leak because of the hole that will not accept a bolt. Crankcase pressure still pushes oil out that area unless you modify the block to accept the different bolt location

Jamie R.

Established Member
Mine is gonna be drilled/tapped. My bud tried making a plug for the hole and it still leaks so he said he's just gonna drill/tap it. Used new gaskets on my cover eventhough they only had 50k miles on them.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

01bluesnake

Established Member
Did a '01 cover on a iron block and didnt tap the missing bolt hole, never had a leak even after 15K + miles. proper torque procedure and spec will help the cover seal more even and well as clean proper install.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Did a '01 cover on a iron block and didnt tap the missing bolt hole, never had a leak even after 15K + miles. proper torque procedure and spec will help the cover seal more even and well as clean proper install.

My bud that did this is very meticulous about his work and did all that, but for some reason mine leaked, sometimes things just happen. He put a term cover on a aluminum block and in that situation a hole was not used also but that car never leaked so it's just something with my car.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
My bud that did this is very meticulous about his work and did all that, but for some reason mine leaked, sometimes things just happen. He put a term cover on a aluminum block and in that situation a hole was not used also but that car never leaked so it's just something with my car.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Thats what I have, and it leaks a little even with new gaskets and proper installation. Liquid gasket helped, but I'll be tapping that hole once I do my next engine build.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one with this issue. Guess I'll push this one down to the bottom of the list and look for the other leak.

Users who are viewing this thread