01 electric fan not turning on help!

mike01svt

Established Member
can someone help me out.. my electric fan isnt turning on... it is an 01 cobra with s-trim and chip ect ect... but i removed the chip to see if that fixed it and nope nothing. So what should i do?? the a/c wont work right cuz it gets too hot and when the a/c turns on the fan should as well... did it burn out??

Taz

Established Member
Presuming you checked the fuse - you DID check the fuse, right? - then run the car up to operating temp and check for voltage at the fan connector. If there's voltage, you've got a bad fan.

T-

duece

Established Member
I once ran some jumper wires to the fan on another car i owned and found out my fan worked I then checked fuses relays and such but it couldnt figure it out so took it to a mechanic and it was some computer prob....hope you figure it out cost me 300.00 after all that crap good luck

mike01svt

Established Member
well the only fuse i checked was the one under the hood at the power distribution box... it is fine... I pulled the connector already and am gonna check voltage in a few minutes

mike01svt

Established Member
ok which side of the connector carries the power male or female. i couldnt seems to get any readings above .5

Taz

Established Member
Male. It should be easy to tell which is which. The supply side of the wiring harness splits right behind the radiator, with one side of the "Y" going to the A/C high-pressure Cutout/Fan switch and the other side (ending at connector C173) going to the fan motor's connector.

The fan motor is connected into the electrical system by three wires at C173. The positive power lead should be striped Red/Olive Green (comes directly from a 30A fan circuit breaker in the high-current fuse panel - DIFFERENT from the 50A fan fuse in the battery junction box). The ground lead is black. The control wire is striped Olive Green/Light Blue.

If you can't get a voltage reading across the power and ground leads of the harness, try gounding the meter's negative probe to the engine while touching the power lead of the harness with the positive probe. If you can get a reading that way, you've got a bad ground (black wire) in the harness. If not, check the 30A CB in the high-current fuse panel for continuity.

Hope this helps.

T-

mike01svt

Established Member
ok...thats what i cant find... the 30 amp in the fuse panel... where is that ?

mike01svt

Established Member
ok found one.. a 50a maxi blown... gonna get a replacement and see if that is it.

Taz

Established Member
Mike,

That should be it. My bad on the 30A CB - that's for 3.8L instead of 50A maxi.

T-

Users who are viewing this thread