01 cobra won't crank

Busabear

Established Member
UPDATE BELOW

My cobra won't crank over. Turn the key and nothing happens. Battery is good, checked fuses and relays for starter and ignition. All good. Turn the key forward and hot wired across the starter solenoid and the starter cranks and starts. So I put a new starter/solenoid combo in it. And now it's back to square one. After that I hot wired the clutch safety switch to make sure it was reading right. Didn't help. Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is either new solenoid is bad also or ignition switch. Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Last edited:

Charged99

Established Member
I would check to see if ur getting power from ur ign switch to ur starter. There's not much to the starting system. Even if ur PATS system was tripped it should crank over (just wouldn't fire), atleast mine did when I tripped my PATS. If everything else works (interior lights, headlights, etc.) my guess would be ign switch

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Sure sounds like you have covered most of the essentials already but don't forget to check the ground wires too.

Do report back and let us know what the culprit was...g'luck troubleshooting!

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
I would check to see if ur getting power from ur ign switch to ur starter. There's not much to the starting system. Even if ur PATS system was tripped it should crank over (just wouldn't fire), atleast mine did when I tripped my PATS. If everything else works (interior lights, headlights, etc.) my guess would be ign switch

When I tripped my PATS it wouldn't even crank until I reset it with my key fob

Busabear

Established Member
UPDATE:

I have since realized there was a fuse for ignition system under the dash also that I was not checking and it in fact was blown. I replaced it and the car worked fine for a couple weeks, and then last night I quit starting so I checked that same fuse and it was blown again. After I changed it blew twice more immediately. Its fuse "6" under the dash. When I google a diagram for the fuses it says, "starter motor relay" for the fuse description. So I guess my question is, where is the best place to start looking for this short in the system? Any help is appreciated as I'm stumped more so now than before. Thanks, Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread